1973 e3 will not crank

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I replaced my ground cable, I added another ground from the bolt on the body where the (new) battery terminal was grounded, which went from there to the block. Cheap insurance.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Battery connections, fence, and neighbor‘s pool… :)

Attachments

• 8AE2A979-BC60-44CD-B1BA-7C4F90A3D949.jpeg
    8AE2A979-BC60-44CD-B1BA-7C4F90A3D949.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 73

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is your car an automatic? Where does this infamous wire you found, go to? The starter?, the relay under the brake booster?

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is your car an automatic? Where does this infamous wire you found, go to? The starter?, the relay under the brake booster?
It's a manual transmission. I didn't really find any troublesome wires. The issue as I understand it is that all of the wires that feed from the positive battery terminal had a poor connection to the terminal. This includes the big wire (or wires) that go to the starter. So cleaning up the connection to the positive battery terminal resolved my issue.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I asked because the auto has an additional relay that if non-funtional as in my case, the starter was dead. My relay was receiving only 7 volts even after new fuses and cleaning all the fuse box connections, front and back. I had to run a wire from the battery directly to the relay and once done, starter came alive (NB: ain't smart enough to figure this on my own, SFDon was my guru).