1973 Headlights

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bought H1 high beam lenses from Wallothnesch but cannot find a bulb that will fit. Sealed glass original had two blades but the only bulb I can find for this H1 is single blade. I can see Daniel Sterns have 3 blades on the high beam replacements. Can someone explain this?

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Yes, you are going to be surprised at the simplicity of this.

Sealed beams have two terminals -- one is +12V (power) and one is ground. H1 light bulbs have a single spade terminal for power, and the base plate is the ground. There should be another spade terminal on the back of the light near the bulb opening, that is the ground terminal. It may be larger, as standard headlight terminals are 5/16 inch - larger than the usual 1/4 inch spade. Some lights have a round 'post' that takes a cylindrical or barrel terminal. Some really old lights have a round eye terminal secured with a screw. In any case, the shell is normally ground, the bulb takes the power.

As far a finding a bulb to fit the light- the light usually has an opening that accepts only one bulb type, and if the light came without any paperwork, you'll have to figure it out, or ask Wallothnesch, or take the light to the auto parts store and let them figure it out for you. PA141840.JPG

H1 bulbs have a specific shape, round base with a straight section at 45 degrees to the terminal. and a bump that fits a corresponding dimple in the light. If interested, I sell high output H1 bulbs that draw stock watts, but make double the light output. The picture shows a Hella light with H1 main bulb at left, a 4 watt city light bulb at right, and cast ground post right below the main bulb.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Reactions: GPD