1973 Polaris 3.0cs in Canada

DavidE9

Reaction score
1973 BMW 3.0CS

Hello from Canada. Here is my 1973 BMW 3.0cs project. Originally this car was delivered to Switzerland, then spent some time in California, and finally ending up in Alberta, Canada. 109,000 original KM, original interior and windshield. It definitely is a good start and I am extremely happy with it but there is a few issues and a few changes I want to make! Would love to make it a little lower and purchase some 16” Alpinas! I am assuming the drivers side Marchal headlights are original and am struggling to find a matching passenger side. Love the dome look of this lights!

Took the grill apart and painted the slats black. It looks good but now I feel like something is missing. Does anyone know why bmw kept the kidneys in Aluminum? Which do you guys prefer?

gpCcanOh.jpg

we7TSHgh.jpg

rBEhYgrh.jpg

7PV0g3Bh.jpg

89hVI0Th.jpg

6bVpKBvh.jpg

00d730Fh.jpg

NUEVBUmh.jpg

YEQBCfWh.jpg

pDXhpimh.jpg

iVmwTbih.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful car, the black grills were anodized black for CSL's, silver for CS and CSi. I annodized mine black because I like the look better also. Marchals are not original but are a welcome period correct addition and getting more expensive daily. My 4 headlights are Marchals and I love the look. Hella and Cibie are also good. Looks like you are idling a little high :D

DavidE9

Reaction score
Well had some time and decided on making the E9 road worthy! Had to do some work and got carried away with a few little things! It didn’t run when I bought it but after a quick check up and change of oil and fuel it ran and drove. The front wheel bearings were quite sloppy and the power steering was whining a bit. Overall it seemed like an easy project! I was surprised to find that three of the four rear brake caliber pistons were seized and two of the front pistons. I rebuilt the brakes completely and installed new pads and rotors. The shocks were toast and I replaced them with Bilstein sport shocks. I have heard these can be too stiff and actually damage the towers if im driving it hard. I don’t think I will be driving it hard but I am curious to hear what others have found. I also purchased the Carl nelson springs. Also I was unreal lucky to find a set of 1979 16” Alpinas locally. These are definitely my favourite wheel for these cars! Because I have the Alpinas I decided to get an Alpina steering wheel as well which I think looks great!

fMphcYqh.jpg

IsfRI1Yh.jpg

m4vdqMjh.jpg

UOimbdxh.jpg

UYjylzlh.jpg

DItDlCeh.jpg

tVFEu8eh.jpg

HWEHyjwh.jpg

3v1fr7eh.jpg

TTH8fPah.jpg

OFB1BDdh.jpg

FZBmEIIh.jpg

qAfgFqnh.jpg

XWRTrPeh.jpg

TRRUge0h.jpg

ygCoOIZh.jpg

S93Md7Rh.jpg

PRjKXPwh.jpg

PGQi1sth.jpg

eywMFA5h.jpg

DavidE9

Reaction score
Sunroof time! There was no seal and everything was super dry. The little adjustment plates were actually upside down and the sunroof didn’t fit at all before. Spent a bit of time to adjust it and am quite pleased with the result! Been driving the car a bit and the sunroof always seems to be open.

tvaTkxJh.jpg

Lv3HsgTh.jpg

XJs7eyzh.jpg

MBJYPwTh.jpg

Kst8eHBh.jpg

w1RvzCfh.jpg

TNRW8cwh.jpg

vtRZjabh.jpg

BtZRa0kh.jpg

BtZRa0kh.jpg

Y5QYAW8h.jpg

KmViPBfh.jpg

T6ojJSdh.jpg

5vTAaLAh.jpg

cY5cmuSh.jpg

6CJMMf0h.jpg

GrrwhQ0h.jpg

QakCpUWh.jpg

kTKMiXqh.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought e9 struts and shocks last summer for a friend and although listed as Sports they were B6, Carl Nelson alerted me to them. Now called Performance and Performance Plus instead of HD and Sport.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Check your rear shock tower condition:

DavidE9

Reaction score
Got my licence plate lights working and installed the correct chromed base for the C-pillar badges. Quite the difference between these and the aluminium ones! Gathered all my badges which include two of the reproduction enamel ones and they are a different color and don't even fit in the original bases.

VSCMHuKh.jpg

VSCMHuKh.jpg

NQniSe8h.jpg

9LZW14mh.jpg

fQUMSQsh.jpg

blb3y7ph.jpg

lhrRnx4h.jpg

yMWFvd1h.jpg

CQ10QFjh.jpg

PBaL3WMh.jpg

kZVZckah.jpg

koilyZah.jpg

2HCM7h0h.jpg

G8yVNdth.jpg

ffL2ADSh.jpg

DavidE9

Reaction score
Decided to add a wind deflector for fun. Had one in the parts bin. Also cleaned up the rear badge!

TkYmXYCh.jpg

Eyfxnjnh.jpg

Q88rU5xh.jpg

MlNoBUYh.jpg

V0oyCPah.jpg

ZoIycRBh.jpg

lTUq3EFh.jpg

videgL4h.jpg

xu08trih.jpg

ifLqIu5h.jpg

Also have been using an Oil cap as my fuel cap as my E9 cap is locked and I have no key. Thought I might try my 2002 looking gas cap keys and they are a reflection of the key I need. Look closely at the two key holes.

1Dwrmjkh.jpg

I have this gas cap as well and am curious what it is out of?

ZZSbtKlh.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have two of the e9 style locks as they fit the NK as well. On the e9 you can’t remove the key when it is unlocked, on the NK I can keep it unlocked and not use the key, much easier, otherwise identical. The older one could be for the older V8?

DavidE9

Reaction score
Replaced the heater motor! Burnt out the old one last year and found a NOS Motor and fan. The plastic is so much lighter in color. All the hardware and mesh screen got plated since it was apart. Sent the cover to the powdercoaters and bought a new hood seal as well. Works great now! I first thought I was going to just change the brushes. These little projects always snowball!

Z4MlkPHh.jpg

HnVnS0Gh.jpg

5rY8UR3h.jpg

dZZM62vh.jpg

4jCOXoUh.jpg

BMAwT3Qh.jpg

ajDALcDh.jpg

h7KRRtth.jpg

ZQcxKlnh.jpg

VX9KXnMh.jpg

d005qLih.jpg

lXNOtn6h.jpg

vwvfERXh.jpg

sEPlW8Zh.jpg

2luYu8Qh.jpg

DavidE9

Reaction score
Hood strut bar finally gave up. It had been welded once on the bar and I luckily sourced a nice original one. Got it powder coated and plated the hardware. Check out the windshield washer hose clips. There is too different sizes it seems. One for each part of the mounting arm. Whole assembly was definitely a little tricky to install. There is a tremendous amount of force on this bar. I can see why they always seem to fail! I greased this up pretty good so I’m hoping it will last.

PizfwTIh.jpg

AfZyqj1h.jpg

2YySxprh.jpg

uNUMgr1h.jpg

8cvVPvqh.jpg

En3HQkhh.jpg

YwKKha1h.jpg

SEBRazKh.jpg

DLh4c0jh.jpg

mM66T5Fh.jpg

tlNinVeh.jpg

aPvUhuzh.jpg

Dz003ZOh.jpg

k1IhnrQh.jpg

0n9ZQZnh.jpg

DavidE9

Reaction score
More plating goodness. It is addicting! Swapped the gas tank hose clamps for freshly plated original ones as well. I may have a problem

yuQbQlIh.jpg

9T5ZSlEh.jpg

vDfnWPCh.jpg

TmkvGogh.jpg

tycJvjwh.jpg

DlFmmpsh.jpg

WbA2eINh.jpg

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a very solid car for one that started life in rainy Switzerland. I have seldom been colder and wetter than when I was backpacking in the Alps in my 20s.

DavidE9

Reaction score
That is so sweet looking!

Thank you! It turned out better than I thought.

Looks like a very solid car for one that started life in rainy Switzerland. I have seldom been colder and wetter than when I was backpacking in the Alps in my 20s.

I have a feeling it didn't spend much time in Switzerland. It got reflectors and big turn signals when it went to California which makes me think it went there fairly early in its life.