1988 M30B35 Intake Mainfold (NEW pics included)

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
And they said it couldn't be done, and they may still be right. In our attempt to solve the Brake Booster Intake Manifold conundrum, my mechanic has installed a ’91 325 IX brake booster and shaved down the lower edge of the stock ’88 intake manifold. The first fit test proved to be still too tight so the IM goes back to the welder for another shave. When it all fits, the IM & valve cover are off to the powder coater.
Regards,
Kingman

Intake manifold with undercoating gunk still on it.
Engine_IM_1.jpg

Brake booster & manifold just touching

Engine_IM_2.jpg

Another look
Engine_IM_3.jpg

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
And they said it couldn't be done, and they may still be right. In our attempt to solve the Brake Booster Intake Manifold conundrum, my mechanic has installed a ’91 325 IX brake booster and shaved down the lower edge of the stock ’88 intake manifold. The first fit test proved to be still too tight so the IM goes back to the welder for another shave. When it all fits, the IM & valve cover are off to the powder coater.
Regards,
Kingman

Intake manifold with undercoating gunk still on it.
Engine_IM_1.jpg

Brake booster & manifold just touching

Engine_IM_2.jpg

Another look
Engine_IM_3.jpg

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hood Scoop

Great Idea!
The shaved manifold is in, I'll post more pics tomorrow
HPIM0859.JPG

Hey Atlas, you must remember Alpharetta Auto Parts & Phil & Mike at Bavarian in Atlanta . . . Back in the days of my 2500
Regards,
Kingman

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hood Scoop

Great Idea!
HPIM0859.JPG

Hey Atlas, you must remember Alpharetta Auto Parts & Phil & Mike at Bavarian in Atlanta . . . Back in the days of my 2500
Regards,
Kingman

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
New Pics

Here are the pics of the manifold

There's a bit more than a 1/2" clearance between brake booster & the manifold.
Regards,
Kingman

E9_IM_MOD2b.jpg

E9_IM_MOD2.jpg

E9_IM_MOD2c.jpg

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
New Pics

Here are the pics of the manifold

There's a bit more than a 1/2" clearance between brake booster & the manifold.
Regards,
Kingman

E9_IM_MOD2b.jpg

E9_IM_MOD2.jpg

E9_IM_MOD2c.jpg

84E24

Reaction score
Is there an issue with using the orginal CSi intake with a 3.5 head and motor?

Just wondering...

Thanks,

84E24

Reaction score

Just wondering...

Thanks,

Malc

Reaction score
84E24 said:

Just wondering...

Thanks,

No
However you might want to consider changing the injectors to "yellow" top ones. You can get them from Bosch with a barbed top so you can use them with the short hoses and original mounting system. However you would have to change the plugs on the harness unless your going for a Motronic ECU and engine harness
Malc

Malc

Reaction score
84E24 said:

Just wondering...

Thanks,

No
However you might want to consider changing the injectors to "yellow" top ones. You can get them from Bosch with a barbed top so you can use them with the short hoses and original mounting system. However you would have to change the plugs on the harness unless your going for a Motronic ECU and engine harness
Malc

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Re: Hood Scoop

Elrey said:
Great Idea!
Regards,
Kingman

Alpharetta Auto Parts? Was that the junkyard up on Hwy 9, past MacFarland? That place closed down a few years ago, unfortunately. Now, if I was still there, I'd have to go up to Brasleton and see what cars Bobby Thrash of Strictly German would have available. Good guy, but it is a good hour away.

As for the other two, I'm not sure. Are you talking about the guys at Performing Imports? My main mechanic was David Harrison, of Harrison Motorsports.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Re: Hood Scoop

Elrey said:
Great Idea!
Regards,
Kingman

Alpharetta Auto Parts? Was that the junkyard up on Hwy 9, past MacFarland? That place closed down a few years ago, unfortunately. Now, if I was still there, I'd have to go up to Brasleton and see what cars Bobby Thrash of Strictly German would have available. Good guy, but it is a good hour away.

As for the other two, I'm not sure. Are you talking about the guys at Performing Imports? My main mechanic was David Harrison, of Harrison Motorsports.