2800 CS Riverside CA

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"The body is solid, straight, the car is selling as is!"

Said the Great and Powerful Oz, "don't pay any attention to the rust whole behind the curtain"

On the other hand, it does have a pretty complete if a little crusty tool kit, including both red handled screw drivers. Jeff will probably buy it just for those ;)

tmason

Reaction score
It seems that prices have moved up a couple of K on these projects.With this one and the Tarp find in Sac for 6100.00.

e9allan

Reaction score
I know I don't post much, and that I haven't been around long. So, I guess I'm due to piss some people off. Here goes. I would think you guys - instead of trashing every car that comes up for sale and saying it is way over priced - would welcome an increase in value since it would mean an increase in value for all the pristine flawless cars you all seem to own. The way some of you are so quick to trash somebody's car seems counter intuitive to me.

NoR32

Reaction score
Though it may be good for some people to grab a car for some much $. People like me who want a project, it sucks. I was just surprised it sold for that much.

Also I just thought sometime people will buy the junker just to cut it up and part out panels and thing like that. Then another project can't be finished.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know I don't post much, and that I haven't been around long. So, I guess I'm due to piss some people off. Here goes. I would think you guys - instead of trashing every car that comes up for sale and saying it is way over priced - would welcome an increase in value since it would mean an increase in value for all the pristine flawless cars you all seem to own. The way some of you are so quick to trash somebody's car seems counter intuitive to me.

Can't speak for everyone, but I think most folks here put themselves in the buyer's shoes and empathize with someone who might get taken by a seller who is either less than knowledgeable, unscrupulous, or somewhere in between.

If it were all about the money, I think this would be quite a different forum.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1

I don't like to see anyone taken advantage of. And a coupe that sells for 7-10K isn't going to affect the value of my coupe anyways.

e9allan

Reaction score
Fair enough. Points taken. I think/hope anybody in the market for one of these cars would educate themselves - elimination the chance of them getting taken advantage of. It seems some of the sellers are simply misinformed/don't have any idea what they have or what the value is. My observation was more about how some of the members comments come across. I just think it could take a more constructive and informative tone.
Thank you for you thoughts, gentlemen.

p.smitty

Reaction score
E9 Worth/Value

E9allen is right. IMHO, I can understand trying to warn an "undereducated" buyer that they are possibly taking on a very expensive project. And I can understand trying talk them out of getting involved in chasing a rust bucket that will always be a patched up piece of fecal matter. But a good solid E9 should have worth. The really "good ones" are few and far between. I mean, you really can't polish a turd....yet. The value is not quite there. " Terminal corrosion" is still possible with the E9, but perhaps someday they will build an E9 around the vin plate......Just not quite yet.
I do think that if someone has a rare, "rust free", restored beauty, let the market decide the value. How many restored, "rust free" examples are out there? Not many. These cars are worth a lot of money when they are in a rough form. If a person is lucky enough to own a car with "good bones" and they invest a bunch of money into it, that E9 should be worth a ton of cash. some people really like these cars. Really good examples are few and far between. When the "good ones" are worth a lot of money, it brings the "rougher examples" up in value.
If we are all here in ten years, our E9's will be worth absolutely nothing....,or at least double what they are now. We will probably wish we had thrown our retirement money at E9's, old Triumph TR 4's, old Moto Guzzi's, old Ford trucks, Beany Babies (OK, maybe not), and anything vintage Porsche.
Please allow our investment dollars to gain value in SOMETHING. God knows, there is no appreciation anywhere else right now. This car is our passion. We love it because it's beautiful. Hopefully the rest of the world will
catch on. I think we would all continue to have an affinity for the E9 if it were worth $5K, or $500K, but I know that I would always rather have an investment worth more than less. You?

Pat

Last edited:

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
When they settle my estate, that'll be their problem.

They'll post a 4 paragraph diatribe of the history of neu class, GT racing history, several 15ft photos of the paint, dashboard and back seat.

Last edited:

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
Coupe Value - low end

I agree with Allan & Pat. It does surprise me sometimes to see the price drawn in by cars I consider to be "less valuable" than my own, but it certainly doesn't upset me. When I had first bought my coupe a few years ago, I used to worry that because I was under-educated (believe me I was) I thought I had paid too much for it. But as the years go by, and the more I drive it, work on it, learn from it, and deeply enjoy it, I am beginning to realize that I actually got a heck of a deal. It makes me happy to see a car like this one sell for 7-10K and I fully understand that my car is nowhere near the caliber of ones like Chris' that get invited to concours etc. But, man its just fun to own and drive one at any level.

Also - I have been in online car forums since I was a teenager and have become part of the community for each car I've owned since then, and I have to say the guys on this forum are more positive, helpful, and kind than any of the others I've witnessed...by a mile!

Much respect to you all,

Travis

Kami

Reaction score
Understated condition

This poor E9 was in a much worse shape than advertised. I was the winner of the bid and thought I had a good find. Unfortunately, seller said he had no idea the car was in such a bad shape. Rust was the no. 1 issue. Every rust prone area was hit and covered with either paint, undercoat, bondo or other method!
The engine was shot and ran without any power; there was so much bypass, it clouded the air! Transmission did not shift, interior was completely destroyed and almost nothing worked properly. Windows, seals, dash, etc. in horrible shape. I made a lower offer but seller did not accept claiming there are several buyers waiting all over the world and especially one from Brazil wants it badly. I wished him much luck! It's a shame people let these beauties deteriorate so badly. :-( I would hope advertisers are more cautious about what they put out there!

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Me thinks seller is dumb as a fox. It will be interesting to see if he takes the education you gave him to heart in his continued selling effort. Or Perhaps, our GNP ratio with Brazil will improve.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
oh well ... fair game. he called out one of ours as a non-paying zero feedback bidder. okay, let it fly ... don't hold back on the condition of this car.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Black plates were issued until 1969 and no later. How did this 1971 get black Ca. plates?

shanon

Reaction score
wheels

hhmmm
..are those 14" Alpina's with a weird paint job?
looks like a tool kit, period stereo, all the trim & glass, decent bumpers

potential decent parts doner at least...................or track/event car project ?!

;-)