2800CSA Restomod in Oz

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes it's pitty with all those rules.... but at the end it makes sense , one could put a engine in a car with twice the OEM HP ... but the same chassis, brakes etc. In case of a accident.... :(

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Starting on the exhaust, I'm using the original headers that came with the motor. These are being modified to fit. I also need CATS here so using a single one as no space for the original 2 CATS I had.
Exhaust 1_iOS.jpg

JohnFBD

Reaction score
I needed to get some neg camber on the front wheels as my e36 set up had the wheels at an interesting angle! M
20180405_224506822_iOS.jpg
ax'd out the camber plates, put spacers on the bottom mounts (thank Brendan for the link to the Bimmerworld kit) but still needed a bit more. The more you space, the more you create an angle between the strut mount and knuckle mount which isn't good so I had some proper mounts turned up that are stepped and welded to the strut mount that now allow me to get up to 1.25 -ve so I can use the top camber plate to tune later.

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Haven't posted for a while. Basically finished bar a few details, I had to rework a few things I was unhappy with mainly brakes, suspension and steering geometry but so much better now. This is a heavily modified e9 so I was expecting some issues and I'm sure there are a few more to deal with! There are a lot of hidden mods but the idea was to make the car look pretty stock. I'll post some better pics shortly. Oh, in case you are wondering, yes it goes like sh*t off a stick :cool:
20190116_000259160_iOS.jpg
20190116_000318110_iOS.jpg
20190116_000338395_iOS.jpg
20190116_000347904_iOS.jpg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow! That looks so nice, and paired with that engine and the sound it produces, it must be a wild ride!
Enjoy it:)

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Looking good John, looking forward to seeing it at St Ives meet on Sunday 03/04 along with a few more coupes out for a bit of a spin in the autumn sun, and possibly at bit blast out to West Head or Palmy.

John

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The clock replacement/ upgrade is really cool. Good idea for a mostly not or inaccurately working clock.
Kind of like the Paul Cain upgrade.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Sorry got the date wrong. It’s at theSt Ives show ground on April 7, hope to see you all there.

John

charofire

Reaction score
Awesome build. Since you went with an e28 rear subframe and differential, how did you attach the differential mount to the coupe body?

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great choice to go with the black and red (not sure it is exactly black or a very dark blue, but looks amazing)

Can't wait to see (and hear) it.

JamesE30

Reaction score
Outstanding work! Have to say i'm not a fan of the angel eyes at all, but everything else is amazing! The interior looks great, and those wheels! Would love to see/hear a vid of it driving.
Seeing the pics of all your fastidious metal work earlier in the thread makes me happy. Your car seems to have had a lot of the same problems mine has with floors and rockers, as well as the bulkhead/ fender area. Could you share some more pictures of that area? Bottom of the A pillar and under the fenders? maybe by email if you don't want to post them all here.. Understand if you don't want to.

Either way, great work and congratulations on getting it to this stage!

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Outstanding work! Have to say i'm not a fan of the angel eyes at all, but everything else is amazing! The interior looks great, and those wheels! Would love to see/hear a vid of it driving.
Seeing the pics of all your fastidious metal work earlier in the thread makes me happy. Your car seems to have had a lot of the same problems mine has with floors and rockers, as well as the bulkhead/ fender area. Could you share some more pictures of that area? Bottom of the A pillar and under the fenders? maybe by email if you don't want to post them all here.. Understand if you don't want to.

Another forum member recently shared this with me. You may have seen it but if not it’s veey informative re sill construction:

JohnFBD

Reaction score

Take a look at my website www.fuelbespokedesign.com there’s a few more pictures there.