3.45 differentials, east coast FS

Bavman

Reaction score
I have several 3.45 differentials for sale. $300 for one, $500 for two, $600 for three. Good deal for a shop doing trans swaps…These are in VA or NC but delivery arranged east coast.

Thanks

Al Taylor

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
if Al sells both, let me know as I have one that has been gone through and has good seals and bearings and lash set by the gear shop in PHX

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yep!

Mine is open and the ratio doesn't match road speed.

Check your text message and let me know when you are back down this way.

Thanks.

RP

bavarian

Reaction score
Anyone know if you could swap 3.45 gears into another ratio lsd diff and be left with a 3:45 lsd

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone know if you could swap 3.45 gears into another ratio lsd diff and be left with a 3:45 lsd
Possible but you need to find the right lsd donor dif. There are three different side loader cases. All of these will all bolt up to our cars, but the internal parts are different. In particular, the crown wheels from our cars have an 8 hole configuration whereas the later configurations have 10 holes, so a later lsd unit won't bolt into an early dif.

Also, if you go down this path, be advised that BMW actually built and shipped 0% lsd difs. These appear to have the lsd unit in them when you look through the breather hole, but when you open up the unit, there are spacers in lieu of the diaphram spring and friction discs. (I had one of these in my coupe).

Bavman

Reaction score
Possible but you need to find the right lsd donor dif. There are three different side loader cases. All of these will all bolt up to our cars, but the internal parts are different. In particular, the crown wheels from our cars have an 8 hole configuration whereas the later configurations have 10 holes, so a later lsd unit won't bolt into an early dif.

Also, if you go down this path, be advised that BMW actually built and shipped 0% lsd difs. These appear to have the lsd unit in them when you look through the breather hole, but when you open up the unit, there are spacers in lieu of the diaphram spring and friction discs. (I had one of these in my coupe).
Are you able to get any of the internal parts to make a zero percent a real LS? I have one, and may take apart some Alfa, Porsche or Mercedes diffs to see..

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i have a 3:64 lsd an is there a percent of "slip" i guess you call it
on my unit
and does it really matter?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you able to get any of the internal parts to make a zero percent a real LS? I have one, and may take apart some Alfa, Porsche or Mercedes diffs to see..
Working on that, with Tom Baruch. Found some parts that may work, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. We have some other ideas too.

Also we've been distracted by our barn find 79 635csi. Fuel, ignition and most of the electrical system are sorted (thanks for the replacement brain), windows now work, brakes are mostly sorted, swapped wheels and tires, did motor and tranny mounts, guibo and exhaust hangers this week. She pulls hard, but suspension needs help.