5 slat kidney grille reproduction in stainless

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just received some shots of the prototype piece. Some fettling to do it would seem. Seems to be slightly warped in the middle of it. Should receive it shortly so will let you all know!

Attachments

• received_1312731046144010.jpeg
    received_1312731046144010.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 142
  • received_1836433303369603.jpeg
    received_1836433303369603.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 139

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
So the prototype is here, first things first it is heavy!
IMG-20221121-WA0033.jpeg

IMG-20221121-WA0027.jpeg
IMG-20221121-WA0028.jpeg
IMG-20221121-WA0031.jpeg

Finish is good at the front , there is an obvious kink in the top which needs to be sorted for the next ones and make sure that the kidneys are both equal in shape.
IMG_20221121_223417.jpg

The studs at the back needed some adjustment/tweaking, 1 not welded on centrally in the bracket and another about 3mm or so off. Mine had a shunt at one point and although straightened up as best I could, I will be popping over to @Paul Baker and test fitting on a NOS front panel to see how it compares.
The gaps top and bottom are quite good, around the sides it's a bit wide at the back and does rub in spots on mine even without paint and clear, they widen at the back so this will need to be narrowed at least 2mm on each side and also helps to account for variations people may have. The slats are welded into place so really would like to see revision 2 with narrowed sides. I also think that on the body the mounting holes will need to be opened up a mm or 2/elongated as needed, there will be variations on the screw mounts. With a few tweaks should be good!

IMG_20221121_223409.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 152224

View attachment 152221View attachment 152222View attachment 152223

Finish is good at the front , there is an obvious kink in the top which needs to be sorted for the next ones and make sure that the kidneys are both equal in shape. View attachment 152226

The studs at the back needed some adjustment/tweaking, 1 not welded on centrally in the bracket and another about 3mm or so off. Mine had a shunt at one point and although straightened up as best I could, I will be popping over to @Paul Baker and test fitting on a NOS front panel to see how it compares.
The gaps top and bottom are quite good, around the sides it's a bit wide at the back and does rub in spots on mine even without paint and clear, they widen at the back so this will need to be narrowed at least 2mm on each side and also helps to account for variations people may have. The slats are welded into place so really would like to see revision 2 with narrowed sides. I also think that on the body the mounting holes will need to be opened up a mm or 2/elongated as needed, there will be variations on the screw mounts. With a few tweaks should be good!

View attachment 152225

Wow, 1kilo !

looks very nice

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 152224

View attachment 152221View attachment 152222View attachment 152223

Finish is good at the front , there is an obvious kink in the top which needs to be sorted for the next ones and make sure that the kidneys are both equal in shape. View attachment 152226

View attachment 152225

not complaining, excellent job, but to me one of the odd things of this version is that the slats seem to have more rounded edges
the alu verision has more sharp, edges IMHO

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
To many, this grill is the fingerprint of our cars - the first and most identifiable piece. Despite some ongoing tweaks and not withstanding the comments above, this is looking sharp. We all like shiny things. :D

i agree, my comment is most respectful to the great job and dedication that anything like this requires.

super nice and very needed, most important, in the long run, is the hardness of the SS when compared to Alu, so great !

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
As you have all noticed, definitely some improvements to be made! The company so far have been quite keen for the feedback. @teahead the grille sits proud as it is slightly rubbing against the sides preventing it from being fully inserted into the hole (stop sniggering in the back). My main concern with these will be consistency as they are handmade so tolerances for what is a rather prominent feature on our cars need to be large enough to account for the inevitable differences between different grilles and cars.

I would also like to see rev 2 with black slats as this seems to be what 80% of us will want and i'm itching to see how the finish will be, alongside narrowed sides, equal kidney shapes and moderately repositioned studs. May also be worth to set the mounting stud tabs slightly deeper in the grille so that it can sit further in and be spaced out of needs be.

Hoping that we should need no more than 2 or 3