5 speed swap solutions

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are putting together a work list of parts needed and of cutting your driveshaft- you should consider these items.....

Automatic and manual coupes use completely different guibos.
Different shape, different size, different construction.
They are not interchangeable. The original 5 speed Guibo was known as the "grenade"
for its tendency to explode into little pieces under your car.
All guibos after the grenade used fiber reinforcement.
At my shop I only use m5 guibos from the e34 cars. They are good for 300hp+
Cost is about 40 bucks on fleabay. I buy the MTC brand -usually 38 bucks with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0.Xbmw+.TRS1&_nkw=bmw+26112226527&_sacat=6000

Automatic and manual driveshafts have a large difference in length of "nose"
Trying to assemble a manual driveshaft with a long nose into a modern Guibo or the period correct auto Guibo is a failure.
The nose will hit the output flange of the tranny and leave you 15mm of space.

For the record- there are 3 lengths of guibos.

30mm
35mm
45mm

Trying to use a 30mm Guibo on a manual tranny driveshaft is a fail
Trying to use a 35mm Guibo on a manual tranny driveshaft is a fail
Using a 45 mm Guibo is a fail because it is outdated junk.

The simple answer is to use the m5 Guibo and cut 15mm of the nose off of the manual driveshaft.
You also need to cut 3/8" off the output shaft so it won't bottom out in the nose.

Remember to use bolts that match Guibo thickness!
Hex bolt
M12X1,5X60

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Interesting timing to your post, I'm considering doing a 5-spd swap before the trip to Monterey. I've had the gearbox for a long time but never got around to doing it...

Dan

Some guibo setups have a spacer sleeve 26111225048 in the assembly. Is there a detriment to using these with the M5 guibo and not trimming the driveshaft and output shaft?

After exploding a couple of stock guibos, I use a later guibo with spacers made out of MBZ valvetrain parts. Seems to be working.

That's a nice catch Mr. Goble......

I think if you use any spacer it needs to match the bolt.
OD of bolt to ID of spacer or washer. Gaps will cause thrashing.
Something about the look of a stack of washers gets to me.
I wish they had listed the length of that spacer sleeve!
For $13.00 X 3 I think I will just cut off extra metal.
I know alpina used spacers on their CR installs but not .6" worth.
The math is simple- on a manual, whatever you lose on Guibo thickness you have to add in spacers or cut on the nose.

I have every driveshaft made to the same length now.
Not cut inches off
Not add inches to

I just mark the ujoint centers and say "make this section this long"

That's a nice catch Mr. Goble......

I think if you use any spacer it needs to match the bolt.
OD of bolt to ID of spacer or washer. Gaps will cause thrashing.
Something about the look of a stack of washers gets to me.
I wish they had listed the length of that spacer sleeve!
For $13.00 X 3 I think I will just cut off extra metal.

No washers here, the Mercedes parts are hardened machined spacers from an old 250 cylinder head assembly I had. 12mm ID, and just the right depth. I kept the stock bolts and Bob's your uncle...

Just to be clear - I use 4mm washers off the m106 exhaust manifolds as shims
17 bucks a piece
Lucky I got a bag of them.

As I'm reading Don's very detailed post, I'm realizing that I can rattle off the top of my head every part to do a 5-speed conversion on a 2002, but I don't, in fact, know how it was done on my 3.0CSi. Why not? As I'm thinking back, it was done 25 years ago when I had more disposable income. I happened into the Getrag 265, and simply called Jim Rowe at Metric Mechanic and had him send me everything I needed. Ah, those were the days...

Better to have friends and a good reputation than money.
Enjoy your wealth-
I'd say you did well!

Question for Rob

I have a Baur Targa, 2002, 1975 with a tii engine in it that a friend gave me to rebuild for his daughter, I'll probably get to it just before she enters a nursing home- but I find myself with a couple of extra g265's in my warehouse and thinking of dropping one in- is it as simple as the coupe transplant? It already has a 4 speed so I won't have to hunt for pedals and all the other happy stuff-

Insight or directions to such would be appreciated-

My response to peter was he needs a 320i tranny for his 2002 Bauer.

Yes, a Getrag 245 and a shortened shifter platform and driveshaft

Peter:

To install a 5-speed in a 2002, you need:

--A Getrag 245 from a 1980 to 1982 E21 320i. The '83 320i has a Getrag 240, which is not as good a candidate as the 245. Unfortunately, 245s are now increasingly rare, as the supply of junked 320is in wrecking yards is basically gone.

--A shortened driveshaft.

--A shortened shift platform.

--A bracket to hold up the back of the transmission.

--Depending on which clutch and flywheel the 2002 has, a throwout bearing from an E21 323i.

One of the best most concise descriptions can be found here:

http://www.bimmers.com/02/upgrades/transmission.html

Ireland Engineering and Aardvarc both sell everything you need, either in kit form or a la carte.

I wrote a piece (several) on bmw2002faq. Here was a project blog sort of series of posts:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/67-the-hack-mechanics-5-speed-conversion/

--Rob

Perfect Timing....

Rob, that's just the link I was looking for! I came back to this site at lunch to get the code for your book and you answered my next question!

I bought Dave V.'s Taiga 2002 and am putting the M42 and 240 from the 91 318is I found locally.

Now all I need is the pedal box, new door cards, trim, mounts.....

The Right Part?

I'm gathering parts for the install of my Getrag 265/6 in my 2800CS and I may have ordered the wrong part for the transmission support. I now have the aluminum support, 23-71-1-175-731 instead of the stamped steel one 23-71-1-175-314.
I believe I read that the steel one is stronger. I'm keeping the stock 2.8L engine and I don't plan to do any sort of racing about. Will this part work for me (fit) and is there any reason to believe that it won't be suitable for day to day driving?

Ian

Attachments

• aluminum tranny mount 23-71-1-175-731 IMG_0045.jpg
    aluminum tranny mount 23-71-1-175-731 IMG_0045.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 412
The 314 stamped version is NLA at BMW, so you have to find someone with a used one they are willing to sell. I got mine along with some other shifter parts from "bavman" here on the forum.

Back