5 speed swap solutions

here is mine

DCP_1877.JPG

jjs2800cs

If you are putting together a work list of parts needed and of cutting your driveshaft- you should consider these items.....

Automatic and manual coupes use completely different guibos.
Different shape, different size, different construction.
They are not interchangeable. The original 5 speed Guibo was known as the "grenade"
for its tendency to explode into little pieces under your car.
All guibos after the grenade used fiber reinforcement.
At my shop I only use m5 guibos from the e34 cars. They are good for 300hp+
Cost is about 40 bucks on fleabay. I buy the MTC brand -usually 38 bucks with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0.Xbmw+.TRS1&_nkw=bmw+26112226527&_sacat=6000

Automatic and manual driveshafts have a large difference in length of "nose"
Trying to assemble a manual driveshaft with a long nose into a modern Guibo or the period correct auto Guibo is a failure.
The nose will hit the output flange of the tranny and leave you 15mm of space.

For the record- there are 3 lengths of guibos.

30mm
35mm
45mm

Trying to use a 30mm Guibo on a manual tranny driveshaft is a fail
Trying to use a 35mm Guibo on a manual tranny driveshaft is a fail
Using a 45 mm Guibo is a fail because it is outdated junk.

The simple answer is to use the m5 Guibo and cut 15mm of the nose off of the manual driveshaft.
You also need to cut 3/8" off the output shaft so it won't bottom out in the nose.

Remember to use bolts that match Guibo thickness!
Hex bolt
M12X1,5X60
Hello, what if the engine have more than a 300 HP like m3 engine with 5 speed manual

The Right Part?

I'm gathering parts for the install of my Getrag 265/6 in my 2800CS and I may have ordered the wrong part for the transmission support. I now have the aluminum support, 23-71-1-175-731 instead of the stamped steel one 23-71-1-175-314.
I believe I read that the steel one is stronger. I'm keeping the stock 2.8L engine and I don't plan to do any sort of racing about. Will this part work for me (fit) and is there any reason to believe that it won't be suitable for day to day driving?

Ian
this is what I am using on my 2800cs on 5 speed gearbox I am working on it I have been told this is the best ever.

this is what I am using on my 2800cs on 5 speed gearbox I am working on it I have been told this is the best ever.
Several people have given the Coupe King transmission mount terrific reviews. It's well constructed and seems to fit better than either the stock aluminum or older preferred steel BMW mounts. It's also quite beefy.

Back