$54,900 Buy It Now!

Duck360198

Reaction score
What are the thoughts on the price? Other than the Chamonix on the CSi website, I haven't seen another CS this spendy for some time. Looks like a real solid restoration, but I'm curious what they started with.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
$54k and not a single shot of the undercarriage, trunk floor or wheel wells?

Everything looks better in internet photos.
Without high res closeup's it's almost impossible to tell if it's a really good insurance quality or show quality paint job.

I wonder what "body on" restoration means for a monocoque type chassis?

John

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At that price it should have been "body off" just in case there was some bit of California Rust hiding. And why did they leave front and rear side reflectors? A small phobia of mine since I left my rear one's on when I had the coupe resprayed. Dumb.

execmalibu

Reaction score
The real price is $25,000! The extra $30,000 is for the upside down bumper guards!

The first thing I noticed was the upside down front bumper guards!!!!

If they put the front bumper guards on upside down what else on the car is put on upside down or backwards?:confused:

There are certainly enough photos around the internet and at $55,000 I would expect that there is an owners manual with photos of the front bumper...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those bumper guards are correct and original for a U.S. `73 coupe and are NLA. It still has the rear bumper chrome covers you are looking for as well. Other than crinkle coated valve cover and plastic expansion tank it looks very original but as noted I would like to see underside and fender seams, etc.

jmackro

Reaction score
I believe the bumper guards are correct for a '73. US bumper height regulations for 1973 necessitated the special overriders.

The price is ambitious, but it IS an awfully nice restoration. Even has two red-handled screwdrivers in the toolbox.

bfeng said:
I wonder what "body on" restoration means for a monocoque type chassis?

Well, you've sort of answered you own question. Back in the days of seperate body - chassis construction, a "body off" restoration meant that those two components were disassembled so that everything could be thoroughly cleaned and rust repaired. But an e9 is built differently than a '55 Chevy - you can't seperate the body from the frame because it's a unibody. So I guess the term "body on" becomes the converse of "body off". Admittedly it makes little sense, since it should be obvious that a "body off" restoration can't be done to a unibody car.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
when i looked at it, there's a buy it now price of $46,900. at that price i would have expected a new water reservoir and a new brake fluid reservoir ... and maybe not some of the hokey BMW badging.

this looks like a very pretty car though

execmalibu

Reaction score
HB Chris... The guards are original but they are upside down...

The guards are original but are put on wrong!! The left guard is upside down and put on the right side and vice versa!

If you go to the Photo gallery on this site and look at all of the CS with front guards you will notice that the pointed part of the guards is on the top...

I have seen numerous other cars with the guards put on wrong...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd like to see the detailed before/after resto pics to see why a 40,000 mile car warranted a full restoration. But I like the color combo :mrgreen:

srennoc

Reaction score
73 Bumpers

The front is correct for a 73 US coupe. The rear is not correct. It is from an early or euro model. Also missing the under riders. Rear end accident?

execmalibu

Reaction score
CHECK the photos of the car offered for sale...

Look closely at the photos of the car for sale (the first attached photo)... The guards have the pointed part on the bumper guards on the bottom...

Then look at the photos of the 4-6 other E9s taken from the photo gallery on this site...

On all of those cars the pointed part of the guard is on top...

Now I am no expert but either all of the other E9s on this site have their guards on wrong or the car offered for sale is wrong...

Attachments

• 405157-27.jpg
    405157-27.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 238
  • coupe_at_the_pond_4.jpg
    coupe_at_the_pond_4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 203
  • michael_balaban5_copy.jpg
    michael_balaban5_copy.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 204
  • sandykofaxCS.jpg
    sandykofaxCS.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 201
  • stripes69.jpg
    stripes69.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 185

srennoc

Reaction score
Guards

The guards you are looking at are early or euro model. The 73 US model has unique guards for the model year. Only made for the US market for 1973

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes...

as I said, this is correct for '73... they were "upside down" in '73. Or, all the others years were upside down- I guess it depends on if you own a '73 or not.

Question- was it just US '73's? Anyone know?

Thanks