$54,900 Buy It Now!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my old 73 with the same guards in question so they appear to be correct on the eBay car.

picture.php

Now I am no expert but either all of the other E9s on this site have their guards on wrong or the car offered for sale is wrong...

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
as I said, this is correct for '73... they were "upside down" in '73. Or, all the others years were upside down- I guess it depends on if you own a '73 or not.

Question- was it just US '73's? Anyone know?

Thanks

Yes, this was unique to the 73 US 3.0CS only!

If you look closely, the profile of the rubber on the overriders is completely different than the pre 73 coupes. There are several differences as well. The 2 mounting bars in the middle of bumper that attach to the front subframe are of different construction. Pre 72 bars are straight with a few bends where they are mounted to bumper. 73 bars were slightly longer and have a Y construction where they are mated to bumper. The extra length was needed to meet the new DOT bumper regulations. Due to the fact the front bumper was pulled out a few inches, the bumper mounting points on both sides of the front fenders were also pushed forward, hence new thicker plastic spacers were fitted. Pre 72 bumper ends were fitted with strips of plastic only.

As previously stated, the rear bumper was probably fitted with a pre 72 version or the original 73 bumper, but deleted the 2 oval metal loops that extended the bumper

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As stated several times now, the North American `73 coupes had a unique inverted rubber guard, the chrome guard is however identical. If you flip over a pre-`73 rubber guard it doesn't look anywhere near the same, the earlier guards are more square. BMW also did this to the `73 e3 and `73 2002 (not upside down though). It is a 2 1/2 MPH bumper and it `74 it became the 5 MPH bumper solution per the DOT.

The rear bumper looks original as well, it has plastic covers for the license lamp holes because these were mounted to the tail panel beginning in `73.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I learned something new today!!!

Live and learn!!!

Kind of like the guards on a 1973 Porsche 911, only 73 had big rubber guards...

THANK YOU guys for the new info... :):)

jmackro

Reaction score
I was being sarcastic..

Oh, sorry.

I have to admit I had never seen the term "body on restoration" before. However, I have seen ads for unibody cars claiming a "body off restoration", so I have to admire these guys for being precise, as well as for creating a new term.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
These pics ought to show the different contours of the 2 bumper overrider rubber inserts currently discussed.

cs73bumper.jpg

P1040178.jpg

Spacer for 73 bumper ends...needed to fill gap between fender and bumper due to new fender mounting hole locations.
L1000033-1.jpg

Rubber strip mounting for pre 73 bumper ends.
L1000019.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Could turn out to be a bargain:

WARRANTY AVAILABLE!

This car qualifies for a

5 year / 100,000 additional Miles Powertrain Warranty!

bubukitty

Reaction score
Front Bumper Guards

Though currently "coupeless", I had a '73 Polaris coupe for a number of years and have seen various '73 coupes with the pointy part of the bumper guard on the top and the pointy part on the bottom, like the subject car. Perhaps there was a switch over at some point in the '73 production run where the front bumper guards changed? Most '73 coupes I have seen have the pointy part on the top.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The switchover was the "start" of `73 production for North America, this is confirmed in the original orange parts books. When bumpers were repaired/replaced only the earlier guard rubber was available.

Duck360198

Reaction score
Well, just called the dealership to get some information on the car and it has been sold for the full asking price. Whether that was $46,900 or $54,900 I wasn't told, but it sure was a stunning car.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cars built for 73 model year US market requirements were pointy side down. Period.

It is naive to assume if you saw something different 20 or 30 or more years after the car was built that that is how it came from the factory

alanmcg

Reaction score
nice

if this sold for full price, i think it confirms our thread from a few weeks ago that $50k seems to be top of the market right now for a pristine cs.

echappe

Reaction score
while everyone was discussing the bumper over riders didn't anyone notice that the bumper ends are not level and square to the grill opening?!
Ernest

Dave L

Reaction score
buy it now!

He probably sold it for the full asking price to a private Nigerian "business man" who will wire the funds directly to his bank account as soon as he is provided the number....and he is given proof of shipping.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, just called the dealership to get some information on the car and it has been sold for the full asking price. Whether that was $46,900 or $54,900 I wasn't told, but it sure was a stunning car.

Right,

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
High priced 1973 3.0 CS

I examined this car on Friday night February 25th prior to its sale at the Palm Springs auction on Saturday the 26th of February.

I had known this Coupe from several years ago and seeing it at night in a poorly lit setting did not allow having a really critical look that i would have preferred. My Son and two auto collector friends were there as well and based on our collective viewing of paint, metal. exterior chrome and trim items, my gut feeling was it was well worth the then asking price.

My understanding was the owner had consigned the car and the consignee was willing to sell for less--about $25,000--than it brought in the auction which I understood was around $28,000.

Occupied with the Desert Classic activities while in Palm Springs did not allow m to attend the auction. The St Louis outfit that bought the car had it on the transporter on the way to SL before I could intercept it the folllowing Monday.

I volunteered to the dealers representative that I had known the car from several years ago and questioned the stated mileage. They then wanted to ask several questions of information about the car--I declined to disclose or discuss same.

Had I been less occupied as stated one of my friends here in Newport who had previously purchased two Coupes from me over a several year span had asked me to be on the lookout for a really nice silver/blue CS with stick and sunroof. Too bad it sold at auction as I would have recommended it as one of the nicest I had seen in quite awhile. The nicest was a documented identical Coupe that I handled a few years ago and now resides in a fine collection in CT. It was a concours car--this one appears to be an excellent example.

Last edited:

66toaster

Reaction score
St. Louis coupe

Car sold for $46,900 according to Ebay's Completed Listings page. Nice margin for the dealer.