70 2800 cs for sale

BT Fields

Reaction score
My coupe has been my pride and joy since 1994. I have been to Monterey for the historics many times and was there for the 96 event when BMW was the marque. I was choosen to drive it around Laguna Seca for several laps on Sunday and she and I enjoyed every minute.
Well, the time has come to part company and let someone else enjoy this great car.
As you can see from the pictures I have tried to show the areas that are prone to rust. I am the third owner of this coupe. I purchase it from a good customer of mine who was moving to Lake Tahoe and did not want to expose it to the winter roads there.
The only things I have done to it are replacement of the original cylinder head, replace the pan gasket and rebuild the Zenith carbs. The owner had me replace the shocks with Bilstein Heavy Duty's, replace the radiator with and oversize core one and install Weber 32/36 carbs which would not pass our CA visual smog inspection in 94 when I purchased the coupe so off they came and on went the Zeniths and they work great.
The car was repainted in 93 with Glastrut paint in the original Polaris color. The seats were redone in Connolly leather and have been maintained. The wood is what I would call excellent considering it is all original. The front windows are hand crank and both work, the rears I have never tried.
Issues, The windshield has been cracked since I got the car. The ZF trainsmission growls, even the great Schneider Motors could not fix that one, a couple of small rust bubbles on the left door and lower left fender (see pictures) and it needs tires. Oh yeah, the knee freezer of an AC does not work, dead compressor, but both the fans do work.
I have been in the BMW repair business for over 25 years and have seen my share of coupes and except for a couple of Coupe King restorations that I have worked on I feel this coupe is one of the better ones here in So.Cal. It's ready to drive and enjoy
The car comes with a complete set of original wheels which will need some work and the Koni's that I took off a long time ago.
Last thing. The car was featured in the Fred Larimer book BMW Buyer's Guide on the page 28&29 spread and the engine compartment on page 35.
Ever seen a lower under tray panel on a coupe before? Well this coupe has one.

The car can be seen at BT Fields BMW Service 2730 Gundry Ave Signal Hill,CA 90755 562-595-9194 9to6 M-F and Saturdays if you call me during the week.
Now the big question, how much? I'm asking $17,000

Pictures http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t475/btfields/

flarimer

Reaction score
I can add that I have known BT for many years and without question, this coupe is a nice one indeed. It is one of my favorite photo sessions from the Buyer's Guide. The car was then and still is a lovely example.

Regrets to hear the time has come to sell on, the next custodian will have a great time with this coupe.

fL

execmalibu

Reaction score
I am interested... I will call you tomorrow

Brian,

I am interested. I will call you tomorrow... Or call me

Jeff
(310) 456-8833

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
With all due respect ...

In 18 years of ownership in CA you've never felt the urge to open a rear window for ventilation? With no working AC one would think all windows down or even SR plus p-side rear window would be needed to kep it from getting hot inside.

Otherwise lovely car, and nice to see helpful undercarriage photos.

BT Fields

Reaction score
In 18 years of ownership in CA you've never felt the urge to open a rear window for ventilation? With no working AC one would think all windows down or even SR plus p-side rear window would be needed to kep it from getting hot inside.

Otherwise lovely car, and nice to see helpful undercarriage photos.

Living in So Cal all of my life I never felt it was necessary to open all of the windows. All of my trips in the car were up the coast on 101 and I guess I just have a tolerance for warm air. I like it. Besides, a coupe at 80 with the widows rolled down is when you get to hear the beautiful noise of the engine/exhaust. :wink:
Remember, BMW and a/c were a compromise at best in those days. Hoffman asked for it and BMW had Behr design a system that came in a box in the trunk of the car and was installed at the dealership. Just imagine where all of those beautiful original center consoles went, the trash.

Yes, I feel undercarriage pictures are where the true value of a coupe lies.

Brian

jmackro

Reaction score
BMW and a/c were a compromise at best in those days. Hoffman asked for it and BMW had Behr design a system that came in a box in the trunk of the car and was installed at the dealership.

Brian:

Are you sure they were dealer-installed? Looking at the A/C installion on my US delivery 2800, I am skeptical. Perhaps the first few were done that way in 1969, but the dealers would have had to invest many many hours to disassemble the dash & console, mount the condensor ahead of the radiator, route the hoses, add the wiring, etc. etc. My installation sure looks "factory" to me. Plus, weren't all US delivery coupes air conditioned? I.e., it wasn't an option.

Last edited:

BT Fields

Reaction score
Jay,
Early in my business I got to know a gentleman named Peter De Latt. Peter worked for Max Hoffman here on the West Coast and one of his jobs was to come up with work shop manuals for the BMW dealerships. He would also go around to the different dealerships and train the technicians. He showed me some of the original manuals from Germany which of course were in German.
Anyway when I told Peter I had a coupe he related to me that Max asked for the ac systems and that the ac would come in a box in the trunk. It also came with a very comprehensive instruction book on how to install the system and it even came with templates (very German)to be attached to the firewall showing where to drill the holes. As well as measurement on where to mount the drier and the surge cannister. It was a very complete kit but they were installed by the dealerships. The instructions did indeed tell the installation crew how to disassemble the dash etc.
By 74 you are probably right in saying the ac was installed when the car was built but back in the early 70's the dealer did a lot of "factory installations" just for the American market. Remember, Max asked BMW for an ac, BMW paid Beher to design and build it and BMW sold it to Max as a kit. I have also worked on American coupes without ac.

Brian

jmackro

Reaction score
OK, thank you for the explanation. I don't pretend to know the history of A/C on US-delivery coupes. Just observing that the A/C installation on my 1970 2800 CS sure looks like it was done in Munich rather than San Francisco.

For what it's worth, after substituting a Sanden compresser, and a doing few other tweaks, my A/C works pretty well.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doesn't make much sense to deliver coupes without A/C and then replace the console side panels and wood console floor as well to put in the unit. Perhaps only done on the first few coupes imported. I think we need Murray to comment on this.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
A/C fitment

The BLUMAX #2270016 was delivered at the factory on 10-1-1969 with factory installed A/C from day 1. I can only speak for BLUMAX. In my years I have only come across 1 or 2 US spec CS's that were without A/C. One became a very hard sale due its lack of A/C

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No AC

I have a 69 US Spec that did not come with AC. I have the original order with the options and have no AC. No radio either.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All US spec 2800CS built beginning September 1969 have an emissions sticker, if still attached, indicating the model year as 1970. Murray still has his sticker and his coupe was built Sep 5th. Anyone have a photo of this sticker saying 1969? The Canadian importer got US spec coupes but could and did order them without A/C and with velour and other features.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Here is the sticker on 2270012, it appears to have been replaced in 1994

Attachments

• VIN.jpg
    VIN.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 101

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not on door although there is a foil sticker there with VIN and month/year of build. These are on the front fender, right in front of windshield, they are driver side or passenger side depending on year. There was no 49/50 state differences until `75 or `76 I believe in California.

Murray's `70 is on passenger side above paint sticker. In `71 and `72 on driver side, `73 and `74 on passenger. Photos attached:

Attachments

• 1970 2800CS EPA CARB.jpg
    1970 2800CS EPA CARB.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 1971 2800CS EPA CARB.jpg
    1971 2800CS EPA CARB.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 119
  • 1972 EPA CARB.jpg
    1972 EPA CARB.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 1973 EPA CARB Taiga.jpg
    1973 EPA CARB Taiga.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 1974 EPA CARB.jpg
    1974 EPA CARB.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 104

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Todd,

I wonder why CA issued a new EPA sticker in `94 and put it on the B pillar. Probably needed a smog test and original sticker under hood was missing or it went to the smog referee if the Webers were installed. Funny in that it says "2X1 BBL CARBS." Smog tests were still required in CA through `96 or `97 for older cars.