'72 BMW 3.0cs - Restoration/Build

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
1972 BMW 3.0cs.
Got the project partially disassembled, on a dolly, and bunch of boxes. Seems to be the way I start most projects these days!! The body is actually not too bad, pretty straight, some rust issues, one repaint back in the '80s most likely. Seems most of the parts are there, good or bad, but there

Wheeled it into the long term section of my shop and started to assess and disassemble the rest of the car.

Going to tackle several areas at once, have to wait for parts and such, but always have something to work on.

Attachments

• 20170719_131639 (1).jpg
    20170719_131639 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 610

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
At first the motor seemed like a caked up grease ball, but it was more just a lot of dirt. Cleaned it up and started to tear it a part. Cleaned up pretty quick.

I found some receipts of an engine rebuild in 1984. The car was taken off the road in 1992. Inspecting the rod and crank, cylinder bore and all, it seems to be in excellent shape. Mic'd the bore and it is still within factory specs. Everything I see so far makes me very happy.

I am going to do some 10:1 pistons and balance the rotating assembly. Flywheel is off being re-surfaced right now. All the aluminum parts are getting bead blasted as well, years of oily stuff have discolored them. Testing all the other parts to verify if they are still good, rebuild, or buy new.

Attachments

• 20170717_165715.jpg
    20170717_165715.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 416

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Others more qualified than me will chime in but since you are rebuilding the motor you might want to check which year your head is. This would obviously be the right time to get a good casting. IIRC you want an '82 or later head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Been working on the front suspension and subframe. Disassembled it all, cleaned, painted and putting on new parts. Got some Bilstein struts, new wheel bearing, bushings, and so on. Have not got rotors yet or figured out is I am going to rebuild calipers or buy reman ones??

20170810-165725_1_orig.jpg

20170810-161356_1_orig.jpg
20170810-170041_orig.jpg

Last edited:

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Just using the stock springs for now. The red paint makes the car go faster too. LOL.......Have never driven this car or any other E9, so easy enough to swap out later when we shake down the running/driving car. Same with sway bars.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Been busy with clients projects, little here and there on the BMW. Got a spare tire well repair kit and got it all welded up. Little bigger than original but good if tire size changes a little.

20170901-130848_orig.jpg

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Found a good Getrag 5sp to swap in. Waiting on engine parts and money from my client/partner in car to proceed on all that. Still have lots to do one car. Working on body and such in the meantime.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Stripped the hood and trunk lids down to bare metal, then expoy primer, then 2k primer. Lot of areas where the paint had cracked and checked, and there was surface rust where each crack was. Felt it safer to just strip them both down. Will do same with roof. Been working on window area too. The sides of the car don't seem to be is bad shape. I suspect, found some degraded old blue trap fibers, that the car was once covered and had moisture trapped.

20170903-130245_orig.jpg