72 CSL on BAT -wow!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
City pack car I guess.

Looks really good. Interesting how it got federalized w/the rear side markers and MPH speedo.

Should ditch that junk in the trunk and return to OEM look.

Needs a stripe IMHO.

Whether it's city pack or not, I'd stick a CSL front air dam on her. Completes the look IMHO.

"The front springs were cut one half turn and heated/bent so that they seat properly."

Heated springs? That's a no-no.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What's w/this VIN tag?

Did CSLs come w/those?

1972_bmw_3-0_csl_series_2_155477387404421f8ecf90c9aIMG_0203.jpg

giannicsl

Reaction score
Alcuni particolari non genuini
(Rene 4 liste no csL, contamiglia,strana leva sul sedile anteriore, moquette strana e ancora molto altro)
Ma auto nel.mio archivio da oltre 15 anni
È stata ritoccata molto,
mamma un buon esemplare

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alcuni particolari non genuini
(Rene 4 liste no csL, contamiglia,strana leva sul sedile anteriore, moquette strana e ancora molto altro)
Ma auto nel.mio archivio da oltre 15 anni
È stata ritoccata molto,
mamma un buon esemplare

Some details that are not genuine
(Rene/ kidney 4 lists no csL, speedometer, strange lever in the front seat, strange carpet and much more)
But car in my archive for over 15 years
It has been retouched a lot,
mom a good specimen

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Added VIN plate on dash was required in some states or by the Feds when it was imported, otherwise no euro delivery cars ever had these. City pack as it has the trunk torsion bars and thicker carpets plus trunk lid covers and tool box (although anyone could have added this). Weird that the driver seat still has the factory slider lever poking through the plastic cover, the Scheel has its own slider mechanism, and it isn’t there on the passenger side.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car is "city pack" but came with the thin black felt carpeting as standard. I have it in a box, after replacing it with new thin black felt carpet.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Added VIN plate on dash was required in some states or by the Feds when it was imported, otherwise no euro delivery cars ever had these. City pack as it has the trunk torsion bars and thicker carpets plus trunk lid covers and tool box (although anyone could have added this). Weird that the driver seat still has the factory slider lever poking through the plastic cover, the Scheel has its own slider mechanism, and it isn’t there on the passenger side.

My CSI has a WA State VIN plate riveted to the door jamb. It was the only VIN left. Also, my euro 2800 CS has front/rear side markers and a mph speedo, and shoulder belts.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And sadly the wrong (after market) chrome wheel arches.....
although I find the car in pretty original shape....... always with the logic, what hasn’t been restored will need to be done, sooner than later. Good basis depending on the final price.
6B4811CB-AF50-46C3-A0EB-8EBCAA9C7371.png

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
first time i see a note " quick-ratio 18.9:1 manual steering box".... anybody knows what ratio we have in a normal steering box ?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rockers are not as solid as one thinks?

PPI always needed for a six-figure car:

1972_bmw_3-0_csl_series_2_1554774911f8ecf90c9aIMG_0239.jpg
I would like to see pix with rocker covers off and borescope pix under the front fenders. Otherwise I assume rust. Rocker covers may be riveted instead of screwed on. So not as easy to take off. I think 150k for this car is reasonable, then spend another 50-100k making it solid.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This will be interesting.
Looks like a really solid base to work from.
Certainly not a 'City Pack' but has a lot of similar 'dis-improvements.' :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This will be interesting.
Looks like a really solid base to work from.
Certainly not a 'City Pack' but has a lot of similar 'dis-improvements.' :)

Why do you think it's not a City Pack?

I inspected 2275027, a very close VIN, and it had GRP rear bumper, no front bumper, trunk prop without torsion bar, no trunk linings or toolkit, fixed rear quarter windows and other non-city pack features. I think chrome bumpers alone make this a city pack CSL. I am not a CSL expert however.