72 CSL on BAT -wow!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why do you think it's not a City Pack?

I inspected 2275027, a very close VIN, and it had GRP rear bumper, no front bumper, trunk prop without torsion bar, no trunk linings or toolkit, fixed rear quarter windows and other non-city pack features. I think chrome bumpers alone make this a city pack CSL. I am not a CSL expert however.

This is just my opinion and I defer to other CSL experts but here is my logic.

The term 'City Pack' refers to the 500 RHD CSL's that were exported to the UK and covers a specific VIN range 2 285 001 - 2 285 500 500.
While there are some variants as to precisely what was included in the 'Pack' it includes the following:

Power steering;
Glass rear screen and rear side windows;
Electric windows, including the rear where Euro spec CSL's had fixed windows;
Chrome front and rear bumpers;

This car obviously has some of these things but is outside the 'City Pack' VIN range and is obviously LHD. I also suspect some of the items mentioned in this thread are not factory fitted.

But as I said I'm new(ish) to the CSL game so happy to be proven wrong.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was just asking @HB Chris not too long ago if he had ever seen green carpet...

83EB530D-77FD-45D7-A0C2-8560CADE73B3.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is just my opinion and I defer to other CSL experts but here is my logic.

The term 'City Pack' refers to the 500 RHD CSL's that were exported to the UK and covers a specific VIN range 2 285 001 - 2 285 500 500.
While there are some variants as to precisely what was included in the 'Pack' it includes the following:

Power steering;
Glass rear screen and rear side windows;
Electric windows, including the rear where Euro spec CSL's had fixed windows;
Chrome front and rear bumpers;

This car obviously has some of these things but is outside the 'City Pack' VIN range and is obviously LHD. I also suspect some of the items mentioned in this thread are not factory fitted.

But as I said I'm new(ish) to the CSL game so happy to be proven wrong.

Wes, I could be wrong as well but I think City Pack is generic and applies to LHD as well. Even RHD City Pack coupes are not all the same either, there is not a single definition.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there actually a formal definition for “city pack”? Is it used in any BMW documentation? I also know very little about CSL’s.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wes, I could be wrong as well but I think City Pack is generic and applies to LHD as well. Even RHD City Pack coupes are not all the same either, there is not a single definition.

Below is cut & paste from bmwregistry.com
Can't vouch for its accuracy, you might be right :)

What is the City Package?
A City Package was offered as an option on all 3.0 CSL models and fitted to the majority of right-hand drive cars sold in the UK. Designed to make the 3.0 CSL more usable as a daily driver, it consisted of the following items:
-steel body panels (not included on all examples)
-power steering
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi chassis components (including anti-roll bars)
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi front and rear bumpers
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi windshield
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi side glass
-rear-window defroster
-chassis undercoating
-interior hood release
-additional sound deadening
-retractable rear side windows (power-operated)
-tool kit on inner trunk lid
-trunk lock
-velour carpeting
spacer.gif

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just always assumed if you could afford a CSL, that "city pack" meant you could drive around the city with a cold "12-pack" sitting right next to you..at the end of the trip you would have just toured "the city." No pack involved.....is that just me? That much lighter? I mean it makes sense....kinda????:eek:

giannicsl

Reaction score
Questo non è csl molto leggero, ma puro
Anche 2211376 ha placca sul cruscotto
In USA da 1986 dall'Italia

2275xxx

Reaction score
More information, to clarify...

Actually this is the list of the City Pack cars, with ranges of VINs. It is in the orange parts books.

(o) is LHD and (oo) is RHD

For some reason the count was not continued after 2275294. My impression is that most cars above this VIN were Citypacks. After this if you wanted a light light car you really needed to insist.

Example : all cars from 042 to 120 have the Stadtpaket, 129 has it also.
001 to 013 are light, 041 is light.

Among the non Stadtpakets, some were just light (e.g. glass in the rear), others were very light (plexi in the rear, Glaverbel windscreen).

Some "constants" of the Stadtpaket were :
- the reading light on the ceiling instead of the rally lamp (probably the most reliable indication of a Stadtpaket)
- the Boge shocks with stabis, instead of Bilsteins and no stabis;
- steel doors.

Other things were less constant (typically openings for bumpers in the front mask, or not)
German Citypacks rarely had chrome bumpers, Italians did more often.

Last edited:

giannicsl

Reaction score
... the first 169 are the bible of the CSL with all the requirements of the true cs. The second series including mine were at the exclusive request of the rich owners of those times ... You could order it on special request for example. Unless specially requested, in Italy you couldn’t have a car without a front bumper or with the plastic rear bumper. Mine was always in the family. It arrived in 1973 with a racing package, but with fixed glass rear windows ... Power steering .... Nose with smaller external holes Nose without front bumper housing. All aluminum panels, fast closing bonnets, forward and back Light carpet, no electric windows, no radio, antenna, Scheels with wheel Rear bumper in plastic. I apologize but I have an anomaly on this forum I write in English, but the text turns into Italian. I hope my news is useful

... i primi 169 sono la.bibbia del csL
Quindi con tutti i requisiti del vero cs
La seconda serie
Fra cui la mia,
Erano ad esclusiva richiesta del ricco proprietario di quei tempi...
La potevi ordinare su speciali richieste
Per esempio in Italia non si poteva avere ,se non su richiesta speciale,
Senza paraurti anteriore o.con.paraurti posteriore di plastica...
Quindi

La mia da sempre in famiglia
E arrivata nel 1973 con pacco corsa, ma con
Vetri posteriori fissi in vetro ...
Servosterzo ....
Naso con buchi esterni più piccoli
Naso senza alloggio paraurti anteriore
Pannelli tutti alluminio
Chiusura veloce cofani avanti e dietro
Moquette leggera
No vetri elettrici
Nessuna radio
Nessuna antenna
Scheel con rotella
Paraurti posteriore in plastica

Mi scuso ma ho anomalia su questo forum

Io.scrivo in inglese, ma al mese di annunci si trasforma in italiano
Spero le mie notizie sono utili

Last edited by a moderator:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow thanks!

I suppose the first page is in the books and I could have checked. This is what I got out of the letter:

An olle Men BMD Hundler and Verkdufer
Re: New Top Product BM 3.0 CSL

Dear Sirs,

Even if today the trend towards commercial vehicles must prevail the technicians of our house created a new top product, like it only BMW succeed. We present the new BMW 3.0 CSL to you. The BMw 3.0 CSL is the sporty version of the BMW 3.0 CSI, which was carefully tested by all testers.

Various modifications to the bodywork, drive unit and engine made it possible to use a 200 hp engine with a displacement of 3003 cc. The BMW 3.0 CSL is lightweight in construction and designed and with its sophisticated, sporty features. An automobile for owners who want something special are now in the box to offer your customers an exclusive automobile that will surely make headlines in motorsport.

For your information you will find the most important technical details below, including a photo to help you understand your pressure from this ouch buBerlich can make very nice car.

Drivetrain:
* 3003 ccm
* Power 200hp
* Injection system Bosch with electronic control
* Limited slip differential with 25% locking

Body:
* Bonnet in aluminum with rally lock
* Boot lid made of aluminum
* doors made of aluminum
* glazing weight-saving, front side windows with crank mechanism, rear side plate fixed
* Fen
* Front bumper removed
* Plastic rear bumper
* Rally stripes sideways throughout
* Suspension lowered overall
* Progressive suspension
* Bilstein shocks/struts
* Front axle geometry with slightly reduced camber (negative)
* Steering without power assistance
* 7” alloy wheels
* Front seats as bucket seats with adjustable seat tilt * Lightweight steering wheel, leather-covered, 380mm

Dimensions and weights CSL
* CSL length / width / height 4630/1710/1370 mm * * CSL city-pack 4660/1710/1370mm
* CSL/city-pack wheelbase 2625 mm
* CSL/city-pack Track width F/R 1466/1422 mm * * * CSL weight 1165 kg

Last number: <???>
BMW 3.0 CSL LHD 3451
BMW 3.0 CSL RHD 3452

The BMW 3.0 CSL with fuel injection DM 31.245, including MWSt.

Extras:
* Heat insulating glass 55.3
* Power steering 64.2
* Electric read windows 56.1
* Tool box in the boot lid 67.2
* Locking hood 53.3

The prices of the optional extras will be announced.

Stddtepaket without extra charge Schl.-Nr.74.3

The deviations from the previously described BMW 3.0 CSL exist with the following points: doors made of steal, front and rear bunper (like series), standard suspension with stabilizers front and rear. For technical reasons the slide-hole installation is not possible! The export versions for Italy and Great Britain differ slightly. Differences based on the first Line ouf differentiated approval regulations. Delivery Since Great Britain and Italy have fixed orders over several hundred Units are present, the quantities required for this are varying. The production of the domestic version will be increased in October.

Brochures will be available within the next few weeks. Our product advertising department will make a new the brochures, which will be sent to you automatically. The BMW 3.0 CSL was equipped with a performance potential, which, in addition to increased safety reserves, enables driving performance that enthusiast love. The BMW 3.0 CSL proves again one more: BMW Joy of driving!

Friendly greetings BAVARIAN MOTOR WORK joint-stock company

Last edited:

tightbox

Reaction score
I think this one was well bought. Incredibly telling that the winning bidder was absolutely swinging for the fences with each bid increment after inspecting the car in person. Smart move to keep that fact under wraps until after winning the auction.

I thought the BAT effect and rare (for a CSL) color would have brought more, but still a fair price overall. Incredibly hard to place an accurate value without an in person inspection - kudos to the buyer for gambling with their time and airfare costs to make that happen. Seems like it paid dividends on this one!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
The market is so thin for LHD injected cars, it is hard to read. So many more Bats have come up for public sale. Only an auction setting can establish a value for a LHD injected car, since there are so few comps. Slightly well bought, but only slightly.