• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

'73 Chamonix Bavaria

TedS

Reaction score
I figured I'd move over here from my introduction thread.
As stated there, I picked up a 73' automatic with magically disappearing coolant along with mysteriously rising oil level. That and, well, automatic.
So far I've found a complete engine out of a coupe (auto as well, dang it) and a Getrag 262 out of an e12. The head on the engine is dated '84.

I'll keep the new engine connected to its head and just replace the whole thing- my current engine is not numbers matching.

So far I guess I've found the easy parts. Still to find: flywheel, shift surround, and clutch & brake pedals.

Things were looking too "together"-

TedS

Reaction score
I see you have a custom hood prop just like mine.
I'll have to strip it and paint it Chamonix.

Things are coming along-

Replacement engine attached to subframe and ancillaries attached to it. Since I was replacing the water pump I went with the type that accepts the screw on rad. fan and found fan and clutch on Ebay. Of course the pulley doesn't line up with the mounting holes so I drilled two new ones. Luckily, the two diagonal holes line up already so it starts out centered. Clutch master installed on firewall; power steering fluid filter changed; waiting on clutch, pressure plate and that little cover before I can attach the gearbox to the engine. Oh, and bolts. I found most at the hardware store (grade 10. something) and ordered others. It's funny- the trans crossmember is available for $13 but that M10x95 bolt has been discontinued. Which qiubo?? After much reading the M5 one. Oh, and the replacement mech. fuel pump fouled the carb linkage. Hopefully the old one lasts until I can figure it out.
If it weren't for all the shared knowledge on this site I'd have given up so thanks to all.

TedS

Reaction score
Also, I noticed the Weber carb to manifold spacers and gaskets don't exactly match the shape of the carb throat and manifold intake opening. Has anyone tried shaping these so they match? I ran some sanding stones through and got a good match. I wouldn't've done this if I wasn't always looking at it on my way to the washing machine but still.