'73 CS for sale

AutoMotion

Reaction score
1973 3.0 CS Automatic: 44kmi showing on the working odometer. Good tires on nice factory alloys. The car starts & runs very nicely with no smoke whatsoever, no overheating or coolant system issues. all electricals work including the power windows and all lights.
The previous owner removed the a/c compressor and lines after the high pressure hose ruptured. All these parts are included.

Both rockers have had patch work on the fronts. the floor has a soft spot on the driver-side but the passenger-side looks good. Shock towers are in good shape. The fender seams have been worked on as seen from under the hood. Paint is faded especially on the hood. Overall a decent driver, or restoration candidate.

here's a link to some pictures. I will post more under-hood shots once I get it cleaned up: http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/brettshank/1973 BMW 30 CS/

$7,300

Located in Albany NY [email protected]

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Albany coupe

Brett, I hope that you have thick skin, as the folks here are a tough audience with a low BS tolerence. Good luck with the sale and keep that car out of the weather.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
from the archive

The BMW 3.0 CS US Automatic VIN 2250668 was manufactured on June 19th, 1973 and delivered on June 29th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060

AutoMotion

Reaction score
Dave: if that was your "welcome to the forum" speech then thank you! I too have a low tolerance for BS, and my mission is to learn from the experts on here, contribute what I have to offer, and possibly sell a few cars.
I try my best to represent my cars fairly, as this always end up with the best outcome.

This is a running / driving project car that could be enjoyed while being restored. Please contact me with any questions. I will be adding more pictures this week.

Brett

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Brett! ;-)

Dealer or not, we like to see all the coupes for sale. Chances are, most coupes end up on this forum one way or another anyway. I see that you've posted other cars on other forums so I'm sure you're aware of the possible banter.

Good luck with the sale and post here anytime..

Dan

AutoMotion

Reaction score
The car will be at the saratoga NY BMW show next weekend if anyone's interested in checking it out (or sending a friend).

Feel free to contact me with questions!

[email protected] 518-852-2858

I will get pictures of anything on the car, so tell me what you'd like to see!

AutoMotion

Reaction score
New Price: $6,500

Just trying to generate some interest. Check out the link to the pictures. I feel that it's a very complete car worth owning.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Well here goes as you have been warned. No offense please, just an honest opinion:

This is a very knowledgeable crowd (mostly knowledge by pain).

You were honest enough to post pictures that show that the car has some corrosion issues and thereby everyone around here knows that those issues that are visible mean that there is much, much, much, much more lurking in the shadows.
This E9, like many others has the choice of either staying in the current "Zombie"-state and just be kept somehow on the road (but in a condition noone wants to have an accident in) or needs a FULL body and interior restoration (and while you´re at it, you´ll probably do everything else as well).

So you´re looking at full rebuild costs. Once you realize that your asking price plus the restoration costs is much higher that the asking price for a car that´s been done quite well before by someone else, why start here?
Or, if you´re a buyer looking for a project, you´ve got quite a choice of possibly more interesting cars to start with (CSI?) and/or at lower cost.

If you´re a buyer looking for a shabby driver, you still would probably want to start with something that´s more robust in the first place

If you´re comercially dealing in these things then, by all means and noone is blaming you, you´ll probably need a buyer who is less knowledgable than this crowd to fall for the looks of the E9 who thinks the issues are minor.

Round here, everbody knows the horrors that the pretty lines and the nice silver paint are really hiding.

In short: at that price, this is not the right place. Most here would consider that car a parts car or a place to start from scratch. In both cases, the price is too high.

I really, seriously hope you do get what you´re asking for and I also hope, someone will rescue another E9. Just explaining why the silencs is so loud around here.

AutoMotion

Reaction score
Tierfreund: I appreciate your input.
To all: Please find me a nicer example for the same price.

I know you forum people are very far from casual impulse buyers. I just like to offer what I have to the broadest audience.

It is certainly cheaper in the long run to purchase a restored E9 rather than paying for a resto. I'm trying to find the person who wants one but cant afford it; wants to do their own restoration, or drive a shabby iconic car.

The rust pictures Ive posted show the absolute worst of the visible corrosion. I assure you that you'll be pleasantly surprised if you check the car out in person. Doesnt one of you live in upstate NY?

I usually deal in vehicles with no excuses. This is my only ugly project car and it's making me remember why I don't buy them. If the harsh truth of the E9 community doesn't insult me, then neither will a low-ball offer!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure about nicer examples for your price, but for $12,500 there was a cali car here a few weeks ago I wished I'd got. That was a deal when you looked at the hoist shots. Good luck with the sale.

AutoMotion

Reaction score
I hope a few of you on the forum got a chance to check out my car today at the Saratoga auto museum show.

For those of you who couldn't see the car in person: Ive added over a dozen pictures of the under-hood, floor pan and inner-fender rust that shows everything I could find that was rusty. There is a small soft spot on both sides of the floor as shown. The shock towers are very solid, the fenders as I previously stated have been repaired cosmetically as seen from the under-hood shots. Inside the fender you can see some rusted metal peeling away where the repair was made. Undercoating hasn't been sprayed on this car in over 25 yrs, just fyi.

Here's a link to the updated photo album http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/brettshank/1973%20BMW%2030%20CS/

~Brett

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm just being honest here and not trying to nit-pick, but I had a '73 3.0CS with rust in the rear of the rockers from the sunroof drains, a few very small bubbles showing on a lower fender and it had an old crappy paint job (faded and beyond buffing). It ran and drove very good but had an intermittent sticky clutch.... sold it in northern CA for $3500 about three years ago. The interior was the same or better than your car and the entire car was stock for the most part.

Unfortunately, anyone who is familiar with coupes will see yours as a money pit and probably wouldn't consider paying more than $3k or so. But, you're also on the right coast, which may factor into the price a bit.

Dan

d-ace

Reaction score
Rear rockers rust from the sunroof drains is a real problem although no ones fault except the designer that was allow to go into production with them that way.

rwolak

Reaction score
So, was the car and/or anyone at Saratoga?

That's a good question. Don't know if this car is any good or not but until someone actually inspects the car, a lot of comments resulting from looking at pictures is pure supposition.

AutoMotion

Reaction score
"BMW people" from other places beside this forum have said i represented the car very well.
Bob: I appreciate your comment. I encurage anyone interested to see the car in person and make a realistic offer. It's not falling apart! Additionally; the car runs, drives, and stops very well. Perfectly usable as-is. even the original radio & all electricals work.
I've driven a few hundred miles in the past week with no troubles.

Brett 518-852-2858

P.S. Anyone on this forum would not list this car for $4k if it was theirs. Then again, forum people know better than to attempt selling their cars on here!