'73 CSi Turbo(?) in the desert

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
NMNA

Just ran across this since we all have too much time on our hands. Is that a turbo setup on the stock 3.0? Odd that it wasn't mentioned. No underside shots, so the 'no rust' claim needs to be verified, although its in the driest part of the country. VIN is one digit short, but doesn't seem its on the registry anyway. Its truly out in the middle of nowhere - 3 boring hours drive from me - so you REALLY have to want this one to go see it.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
gotta love the statement 'this car after restoration is 150 grand plus' with the black paint in the engine compartment, makes me wonder about rust ... perhaps it should read No Visible Rust. the statement about original ceylon peaked my interest ... until i looked at the pics

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good grief... Needles??? Yea it doesn’t get much drier than that. But it really doesn’t mean anything as it spent many years somewhere in Europe prior to that. And it looks like it’s been seriously messed with so it would have to be a complete tear down.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
as i said, they had me at ceylon ... until i saw the pics ... so it not worth driving from ATL ... without better pictures of the areas we all look at. and to me, its probably a little over-priced based on the condition that i see. also very curious how a high compression CSi engine peacefully co-exists with a bolt on turbo.

Last edited:

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
as i said, they had me at ceylon ... until i saw the pics ... so it not worth driving from ATL ... without better pictures of the areas we all look at. and to me, its probably a little over-priced based on the condition that i see. also very curious how a high compression CSi engine peacefully co-exists with a bolt on turbo.
Is a Ceylon that popular?

Barely worth D-touring from my CA-AZ runs, but I’m also stuck in Atlanta for the weekend :) so I’m not going. Needles is out of the way, but reachable. Quick flight in a small piston plane from SoCal. Or NorCal SFDon.

2002turbo

Reaction score
strange ... other cars in the shop are covered this one not; and the wheels look brand spanking new, the rest of car is dirty and shabby. i do see rust ... lower rear right fender, underside of hood, rear window surround, engine bay ...

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
All the talk of “worth a visit”, I guess this means you are not in lockdown. If you are planning to visit go now, as soon more of the world be in proper lockdown. If how the car is presented in the advert and how it looks is anything to go by then I expect a visit with a trailer and a pile of cash could get a discounted purchase.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I see something bubbling up in the usual "rust" location(s):

00d0d_jR4bJHZ9lh9_1200x900.jpg

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What’s this worth presuming a full body restoration and engine rebuild etc? I would guess engine, brakes, suspension will be 20k? Body and paint 30-40? At then maybe worth 80-90 if done very well. So, it’s worth 20? 25? Anyone call him for more info?

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What’s this worth presuming a full body restoration and engine rebuild etc? I would guess engine, brakes, suspension will be 20k? Body and paint 30-40? At then maybe worth 80-90 if done very well. So, it’s worth 20? 25? Anyone call him for more info?

I guess that's the magic question - and you really don't know what you're getting into - until you get into it. Given there's some bubbling at the bottom of the A pillar who knows what's going on. It's in Needles now but certainly didn't start life there. If there's rot under the fenders and rockers., then that 30-40K will disappear fast. I might drop a note to try to get more undercarriage information

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW, the seller responded very quickly:

Car has been in storage for 15 years or so, I did not try to turn it on as it needs restoration, ignition is broken, there is no rust holes in this car, just surface rust and some paint cancer as you see in the pictures, I will add some pictures soon.

I responded indicating I need to see what the underside of the car looks like. We'll see what comes of it, and I'll share, I have the seller's number but anyone can inquire and get it. Just a FYI I don't have a dog in this race. I already have a CSi that I'm trying to get across the finish line.......

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll give this to the fellow, he responds immediately, and this is by email, not text. Here's a sample - I know it's not much but per the seller:

Car is in the city of Needles, I live in orange county, it is 4 hours drive, I dont know when I travel down there unless someone is serious to buy it, but 90% I am sure the floors are solid.

Not sure what the tubing and wiring running in the trunk is, but bottom line is I don't think much more will be revealed unless you see it in person. How many times has this car been painted?!?

Attachments

• 20200417_132609[1859].jpg
    20200417_132609[1859].jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200417_132616[1858].jpg
    20200417_132616[1858].jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 20200417_132624[1860].jpg
    20200417_132624[1860].jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 218

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good grief, what happened to that spare tire well? Almost looks like someone put a floor jack under its right side and tried to lift the car.