'73 CSi Turbo(?) in the desert

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just had a great conversation with him. He has quite an amazing collection. Ceylon tii, alpina B10s, 850csi, e30M3, golf Csi. Crazy. Hope to go see it when lockdown is over.

2002turbo

Reaction score
Count on it needing everything ... rust remediation, paint, interior, wiring, motor, brakes, suspension ... $10K is probably too much for this car but no doubt someone will pay $20.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
C06A0111-969A-47E6-B457-45E6E2077FB5.jpeg
6463AA4E-E8D2-4281-8413-37CF48315DBE.jpeg

2002turbo

Reaction score
I suspect he bought it to round out his collection, put some new wheels on it planning to bring it back to LA, discovered some big problems, and is trying to flip it. Or problems with title. If he had an offer for thirty, he would have let it go for that.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe but he seems legit. Had 60 cars at one time, reportedly. Picks up cars he likes or thinks are good deals. Sold a couple 850csi a few years ago then they took off on price. Same with a Lambo diablo. Sounded like he had the Csi for awhile. I do think his idea of restoration is different than ours. No thought of taking fenders off etc. but says he’s had many CS’s including 2800cs’s. Maybe 5 or more? Anyway, fact is 30 is a good number for him. No one wants to pay that and spend 60k to restore over 2-3 yrs. unless you really want a ceylon CSi. I’d like to see the cars.id like his 72 ceylon tii.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
gotta love the statement 'this car after restoration is 150 grand plus' with the black paint in the engine compartment, makes me wonder about rust ... perhaps it should read No Visible Rust. the statement about original ceylon peaked my interest ... until i looked at the pics
gotta love the statement 'this car after restoration is 150 grand plus' with the black paint in the engine compartment, makes me wonder about rust ... perhaps it should read No Visible Rust. the statement about original ceylon peaked my interest ... until i looked at the pics
Scott--Here's your finished project.

BBCD13F7-56A1-4FCC-BD0E-D3E7B8337856.jpeg

Drew

2002turbo

Reaction score
I suspect the turbo bits caused the other bits to overheat or wear out .. but who knows, you may be lucky, perhaps the owner passed the week after spending a small fortune to put it all together.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So he hoping to get more than $30k from his "friend"?

Sounds like from non-friends, he'll want $40k+.

Meh. Turbo is cool though, but probably shot.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I bought this the turbo would be ditched ASAP. My guess is that it has a thick copper head gasket on it to reduce the compression.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That spare tire well is so crazy. I think it would take quite a bit to invert that up like that, and what other panels did it tweak on the way? Quarters? Rear panel? Anyway, I do think it is false to claim this has zero rust as rust and bubbles are evident in the photos. I think it looks like a nice project, but for quite a bit less than what the asking price seems to be. Not for me.

RayK

Reaction score
Does anybody know if that turbo motor is actually orignal to the car E9?

My supervisor, back in early 80's, ( I was young and wishful tinking to own one of these cars) bought a used Bavaria from a ranking officer at Fort Lewis WA. The car came with some very interesting stuff, 4 speed, Turbo Motor and it had a wacky buffalo or ostrich interior - cant remember which one. The car was brown - in and out. All factory equipment. What stood out was the Turbo Motor in the car, It was also a small bumper car, so 73' or so. The car was imported by the officer from Germany. Just wondering if this E9 could have come factory equipment with that Turbo?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No factory turbo Except the 745. Century BMW made and certified in CA a turbo for the M10 motor in the 320i though.

2002turbo

Reaction score
The 2002 Turbo .. a bit surprising they didn't do a coupe turbo. Around the same era. Perhaps there was a plan that got shelved, just at the 2002 Turbo was shelved after only 1600 units for being politically incorrect.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 2002 Turbo .. a bit surprising they didn't do a coupe turbo. Around the same era. Perhaps there was a plan that got shelved, just at the 2002 Turbo was shelved after only 1600 units for being politically incorrect.

The Frank Stella CSL has a 750hp turbo motor. Sounds fun, minus 70’s turbo lag. :D

Bwana

Reaction score
What make and model is the turbo? It appears to have a water/air intercooler. Is it still a D-Jet? I didn't think they worked very well with the MAP sensor. Is it a BMW product or some aftermarket system? I've got all the parts from a 745 on the shelf and this doesn't look like them.

2002turbo

Reaction score
When someone spends a bucket of money on a car, and then parks it for 15 years, there is a reason. Seller has not disclosed reason. Seller has not disclosed ANYTHING about condition of motor. All he promises is that it will be worth $150K when restored, which is not true, so I would not believe anything else he writes or says.