75 e9 Headlight upgrade

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure the original poster made clear what type of upgrade he had in mind, be it lighting type or just increased wattage. FWIW, although I have no personal experience with them -an alternative to halogen might be led replacements.

61kLNRkRT2L._SL1010_.jpg

61vQVpTxXML._SL1024_.jpg

71ONFPLWEHL._SL1024_.jpg
maybe i'm wrong, but if you put this type of LED bulb into a Hella or Cibie fitting, the optics of the glass are going to do some really funny things with a lamp that does this LED beam pattern. this is made for a new type of housing with no optics. the Hella / Cibie glass optics have cutoffs to keep the light down on the on-coming traffic side.

nathanegger

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion. Wanting original look with modern output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathanegger

Reaction score
Yes. I think that's where they came from. Upgraded by VSR winter of 2013.

These are nice and modern original. Is this the best price? Any other mods I need? Owned 2 coupes 25 years ago. I’m a little out of touch on my final one[emoji3]

Honolulu

Reaction score
Perhaps it's time for a gentle reminder that what you want in a headlight or two IS NOT WATTS, but LUMENS. And data on lumens output is a bit difficult to find. I read there's some mis-statement out there too.

That said, we put H1/H4s on my wife's Bavaria many years ago and were very happy with the output, whatever it was. Her current Benz runs, ahem, considerably brighter lights. That's all I can say.

I wonder too about the effect of LED setups in reflectors not intended for them.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Charlie, the point is, with the new light type, it doesn't use reflectors it pushes it straight out the front of the lamp. when that light hits the optics in the lens ... its going to do crazy things because the optics were designed to direct the light that came off of the reflector.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Charlie, the point is, with the new light type, it doesn't use reflectors it pushes it straight out the front of the lamp. when that light hits the optics in the lens ... its going to do crazy things because the optics were designed to direct the light that came off of the reflector.

I think your concern is valid, but I also think the diagram is overly dramatic. The S&D bulb doesn't have much in terms of reflectors. On many of these you can rotate the bulbs to adjust the cutoff. I do plan on giving LED bulbs a try. I've always run extra relays in my cars but I see no reason to run high wattage bulbs anymore. I will do my best to use phillips branded products, as their R&D is going to be well and beyone that of other manufactureres. The S&D bulbs do use phillips components. If you compare the existing phillips bulbs on the market, they have aluminum reflectors on the bulbs themselves. The other thing that concerns me about the S&D bulbs is the fan. The LED may last for 40K hours but the fan has a motor and motors fail. The phillips bulbs only use a heat sink. Probably not an issue for headlights that will hardly ever be on, but still something to think about. I figure that by the time my car is "restored" LED tech will be right where I need it. :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos ... LED doesn't use reflectors in the traditional sense ... that's the point. it pushes the light out straight where the halogen bulb pushes it out in all directions and the reflector aims the light at the optic lens. i hope it works out for you, but i am perhaps overly skeptic as i have seen tragic things happen with LED architectural lighting used in a traditional sense due to the nature of the linear nature of LED rather than the omni-directional pattern of incandescent.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos ... LED doesn't use reflectors in the traditional sense ... that's the point. it pushes the light out straight where the halogen bulb pushes it out in all directions and the reflector aims the light at the optic lens. i hope it works out for you, but i am perhaps overly skeptic as i have seen tragic things happen with LED architectural lighting used in a traditional sense due to the nature of the linear nature of LED rather than the omni-directional pattern of incandescent.

I know what you mean, but I mean what I said. :D The phillips bulb not only has a shaft with angled reflective aluminum on it, it has little reflective cups to direct light accordingly (as seen below). The only reason why architectual light bulbs haven't addressed this issue is because they haven't really needed to. I know what you are referring to. I keep 35W halogen task light bulbs in my basement for this very reason, even though every other bulb in the house including other task bulbs are LED. The auto industry will force LED bulb manufacturers to address cutoffs, glare, etc. Being skeptical about LED tech in autos is like being skeptical whether or not flat screen televisions will take off. What we may find however is that the market for replacement legacy bulbs will not be significant enough to drive the refinement needed.

Even crochety Daniel Stern is on board with Phillips bulbs...

12953BWX2-2T.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
but i am perhaps overly skeptic as i have seen tragic things happen with LED architectural lighting used in a traditional sense due to the nature of the linear nature of LED rather than the omni-directional pattern of incandescent.
Funny you mention that Scott. We spend gobs of time reviewing architectural LED lighting in situ on our projects. There are suitable lamps out there that work well with the right housings. But it is a precise science. If the owners/end users replace a lamp - all bets are off. We use LED almost exclusively in our architecture these days. But I don't want it anywhere near my cars - ha ha. :D Sorry if I am getting off topic.

nathanegger

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

Jaguar Tool.Frustrated he cant get it to perform probably...and his Jag. My dad owned 54 jag drophead and some 70’s xke”s when I was a kid. He got a bit cranky always working on those....That’s why we switched to that 3 letter car[emoji3]

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
A 20 second search turned up a list of sources for the Hella bi-focus lights.

Here’s one:
https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/hella-929299.html

The challenge is shipping to the US. Royal post is actually quite cheap (I paid $65 to get an OMP race seat shipped). With this company we need someone to consolidate an order in the UK and shop. Btw the $50 price INCLudes VAT!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I posted a source for new flat face 5 3/4" Hella H1 and H4 a few days ago. Classic garage in CT, I believe. Their price is pretty attractive. I don't think theirs has the city bulb. www.classicgarage.com

Gary (native Cornhusker)

PS: If your father changed to the '3 letter car' in the early '60's, as I did, most people thought it was made in 'Britain', not Germany. Drove my e3 2800 with my family through Omaha to my parents in Wahoo back in '72. Certainly no one in Wahoo had a clue what the B stood for!!

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe the Hella bi-focus system uses an H1 on the low beam, not an H4 like those sold on the classic garage site

Last edited:

saman

Reaction score
We have put LED in the e9s and looks and works great both in headlight, signals and dash.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
While a bit off topic, I’m totally impressed with the level of knowledge in this forum. After detailing my e9 before winter storage, I’ve been looking at a few things that need doing.
1. I’d like to find dark brown trunk carpet (without the floor tool box).

2. Repairs to trunk wheel well covers. I recall they were called “elephant ears”. ”) While in fair condition, they have a few cracks.

Many thanks, and Happy New Year !

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While a bit off topic, I’m totally impressed with the level of knowledge in this forum. After detailing my e9 before winter storage, I’ve been looking at a few things that need doing.
1. I’d like to find dark brown trunk carpet (without the floor tool box). Will have to be custom made by a local to you upholstery shop or visit cocomats.com

2. Repairs to trunk wheel well covers. I recall they were called “elephant ears”. ”) While in fair condition, they have a few cracks. Referred to as Elephant Skin there is similar material available

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
Many thanks. I’m having the driver bottom seat (sinking) done in the spring. Perhaps I can get it all done at the same time. They have a great reputation.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coupeking may have a trunk carpet, many years ago I got my blue one from him

1. I’d like to find dark brown trunk carpet (without the floor tool box).

2. Repairs to trunk wheel well covers. I recall they were called “elephant ears”. ”) While in fair condition, they have a few cracks.