A/C Console remake in Fibreglass. Do you need a set?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

aguirola

Reaction score

I would appreciate your kind reply, otherwise, cannot produce.

Shown, are the 2 restored sides ready for mould making.

Holes shown, would only be mild indentations, ready for drilling.
Otherwise, they would be a 100% perfect replicas, with the large vent openings included, ready to be upholstered

Regards, Alberto

IMG_3631.JPG

aguirola

Reaction score
Rob, that was my understanding, as these parts are made with TP ! No wonder a bit of H2O would disintegrate them.

It is amazing how much they cut corners all over the car, but then they were never expected to last.

Just think of Karmann, right?

Regards, Alberto

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I would appreciate your kind reply, otherwise, cannot produce.

Shown, are the 2 restored sides ready for mould making.

Holes shown, would only be mild indentations, ready for drilling.
Otherwise, they would be a 100% perfect replicas, with the large vent openings included, ready to be upholstered

Regards, Alberto

View attachment 149956
Hello, what is the price?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
If someone want to upgrade to an AC system, can't he 'just' take a standard panel, and cut out the shape? It doesn't look complex to do, you just need the shape definition (from original or repro'd vent panels) + a reciprocating saw and 15 minutes.

Perhaps, to consider: people needing these are likely also interested to have it foam + vinyl covered + with matching vents. Aren't the vents a glass fiber candidate as well?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If someone want to upgrade to an AC system, can't he 'just' take a standard panel, and cut out the shape? It doesn't look complex to do, you just need the shape definition (from original or repro'd vent panels) + a reciprocating saw and 15 minutes.

Perhaps, to consider: people needing these are likely also interested to have it foam + vinyl covered + with matching vents. Aren't the vents a glass fiber candidate as well?
You cannot “cut out” something that is not there. The standard panel is smaller than the AC panel. You are only looking at the vent hole- that is not the only differenice between the panels.
The pictures above show the inner surface of the AC panel- the outer surface of an AC panel has an extra dimension or shape- again, you cannot “cut out” what needs to be added. Hope this helps- I wouldn’t be offering to buy 4 sets if it was an easy job. There are 8 layers of wood with reliefs, holes, curves and additional proud surfaces - it’s a complex shape and structure.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
“Perhaps, to consider: people needing these are likely also interested to have it foam + vinyl covered + with matching vents. Aren't the vents a glass fiber candidate as well?”

Generally panel vinyl texture, color and feel matches throughout the dash, shift console, pillar vinyl in a restoration. Vinyl choice is made by the interior shop with the owner so that all vinyl matches. Using German vinyl in one area and USA vinyl in another should be avoided.

Vents are available 3D printed already.

aguirola

Reaction score
So we have 6 sets in demand as of today. We will proceed in the mould making process,
then we will make one prototype to figure out cost and pricing.

Don is right, as the panels are NOT flat, they have a compound curve, that could only be achieved
with flexible Ply (or TP). We evaluated making them in solid wood (tropical and unrottable)
but the time involved, and the cost of the wood were trumped by good ol' fibreglass.
Will keep you updated.

Thank you for the support.

Regards, Alberto

Last edited:

aguirola

Reaction score
Up to 7. We will know more on pricing once the moulds are finished and the prototype is finalized.

Regards, Alberto

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If fibreglass, I assume that the vinyl covering will have to be glued/vacuumed on the outside face?....cant see staples working into thin fibre...or am I missing something?

aguirola

Reaction score
Er, who and where will (someone) install the wooden strip?

Hope it is not me, as I have no location, dimensions, etc.

Why can't the vinyl and trim be glued on?

Regards, Alberto

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So probably also a wood block/shims for radio? The more that you look at the original piece the more complicated it is, especially the vinyl (vacuum wrap/stitched piece) covering...the two panels are like the end panels on a piece of furniture; i.e., the main part of the structure. I'm trying to get my mind around how fibreglass can perform this function. Not to mention the routed "trough" for the aluminum trim piece...Unless folks are just going to delete this part?
On, say, a 2002, its similar but the panel is flat, so its easier to do an upholstered "sock" that you sew and reverse to cover. (Esty over on the 2002faq fabs and sells them, btw)