A couple rubber seal questions

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
A couple rubber seal questions:

We tried to glue on the rubber seal right in front of the windshield
Using 3M Super Weather Strip adhesive, we had zero stick to the rubber
Any ideas on other types of adhesive to use? or clean the rubber with something? we tried a little lacquer thinner, no luck

Second, is there a trick for getting the seal, that is above the door window into the 2 groves?
It just doesn't seem to fit
The aluminum part we are trying to fit it into is original, from the car, the seal is a few years old, new

Thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I didn’t glue that hood seal because I want to remove it to dry out any water that gets under it

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
WORTH RUBBER GLUE
NO PROBLEM
ALSO TO SET THE WIDOW SEAL STAR ONE EDGE AND PUSH IN THE OTHER WITH A PLASTIC KNIFE OR BLADE

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, probably talking a different seal, this one would not stay in place without glue, I am talking about the one right in front of the window
Alan, I will try some Worth on it, put will have to order more, so expensive though
We have pushed like crazy on it!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
WORTH RUBBER GLUE
NO PROBLEM
ALSO TO SET THE WIDOW SEAL STAR ONE EDGE AND PUSH IN THE OTHER WITH A PLASTIC KNIFE OR BLADE

Fully agree with Alan. Not easy to obtain, and it is expensive, but I don't think I could get along without at least one can on the shelf. I used it on the seal Mark99 is referring to. Some along the straight rear section, then did the curved sections a few inches at a time, and used some clamps to hold it firmly. Waitehd about 24 hours between sections to let the previous Wurth rubber glue set up. Still perfect 3 years later.

Gary

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Similar to Steve, I have never glued that seal in place. Once the hood is latched for awhile it will learn to keep its shape for easy removal and refitting.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
....... and just the 4 corners of the trunk seal are glued.

B24A6CF0-0672-49CD-A7BE-39CC101DEFCD.jpeg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks, this seal has a tight bend at each end, it won't stay in place with glue!

I mean the one just forward of the windshield

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
any tips on getting the seal above the door in? have people had trouble with that seal bought a few years ago?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
yep, that is the one I have been asking about, doesn't want to stay on around the corner, or take that shape

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The door seal needs to be pushed in on one side with a plastic knife or equivalent. Hard on the fingers, helps to use dish soap or rubber lubricant.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
The door seal needs to be pushed in on one side with a plastic knife or equivalent. Hard on the fingers, helps to use dish soap or rubber lubricant.
Thanks Chris, it really doesn't want to fit, other than dish soap, what would you use? do they make something called rubber lubricant? not sure I want to Google that

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
did you use a slow dry glue as opposed to a contact type cement?

I've used Petec Profilgummikleber for almost everything on my coupe and it's great stuff, but that seal was particulary difficult to get to stay in place.
My seal was drained with some kind of rubber protector (to get better shelf life) and that usually cleans off pretty easily, but this one was drained and it seemed like it was seeping out of it again and again, no matter how much you tried to clean it, impossible to get the glue to stick to it. IIRC lots of acetone did the trick in the end, probably not good for the rubber, but the only other option was to throw it in the trash. It was very unwilling to bend at the outer ends as well.

petec_93835_profilgummikleber_pinseldose_front.jpg

Last edited:

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The front door glass seal that clips into an aluminium channel needs to be warmed up before install. Soak in hot water or gently use a heat gun. There are two different materials in this seal a hard and soft rubber.The hard part need to be placed into the pinch part of the retainer and pushed inboard while you use a rubber mallet or your palm to force the outer part into the outboard retainer. Start at one end and get both inboard and out board secured and work your way around - I had mine on and off a few times. I'll send a photo of the X section showing the two sides.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've used Petec Profilgummikleber for almost everything on my coupe and it's great stuff, but that seal was particulary difficult to get to stay in place.
My seal was drained with some kind of rubber protector (to get better shelf life) and that usually cleans off pretty easily, but this one was drained and it seemed like it was seeping out of it again and again, no matter how much you tried to clean it, impossible to get the glue to stick to it. IIRC lots of acetone did the trick in the end, probably not good for the rubber, but the only other option was to throw it in the trash. It was very unwilling to bend at the outer ends as well.

View attachment 80301
thanks, probably not available in the US, I ordered some more Wurth rubber glue