A few tips on installing e28 window motors

View attachment 50110 View attachment 50110 Figured that I would throw in my cars application since I just ordered and received some E28 motors and am working on installing them. So my car is a 74 3.0 CS. I have put a few pics here to help. My old motors were the black ones in the pics. I had to remove them while still in the door to get the window mechanism out of the door. No big deal. I had looked at all the great info Jay put out there and was prepared to do some cutting. So far I think that I got a break with the 74 since the E28 motors will bolt right into the mechanism. Not sure if the mechanism and motors were original or had been swapped out over this cars life.

Where I may have a problem and was looking for a little insight is on the mechanism. At first I put it in a vise to see if I can move it. Not a chance so I have it soaking in PBB. Should I be able to move it by hand? Also without the mechanism on the door it is still somewhat hard to move the window. Any tips on grease to use for lube?
I have these same black box motors and one of them appears to be dead. It's getting power but not moving or showing any signs of life, and the window is stuck in the closed position. Wondering if the motor (only) can be removed for testing in this state, and what my replacement options are before removing same. Crazy, windows are "hot" when the ignition is off. Better pay attention to the position of the rocker switch when parking car!!!

Back