advice please

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The point is that those cars offer really nothing in comparison to a nice car offered for around $10,000. I'm not saying the '85 535i is worth $10,000, but it's not fair to compare it to the cars in your links. Finding cosmetically nice E28s in the sub $7k range is getting very tough, though the occasional bad automatic transmission car does show up.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up a 535IS for my Brother many years ago. To this day he says it is the only car he regrets selling.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, saw the text- thanks! I'm going to slow down on the new purchases a bit as I clean out the warehouse, just keeping these things registered is becoming a full time job
inspection.jpg
inspection1.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Emissions?!!! I consider Washington to be pretty Eco-friendly but my car is emissions exempt. Since I rarely drive my car I got a historic plate from 1971 and I never have to register, test, or pay anything again. Not for everyone.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No emissions test, just safety- lights etc. This time the young man was a BMW enthusiast so he just wanted to look at it and gave me the paperwork 3 down, 3 to go!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No emmissions or safety tests, and for some reason my licene plate from 1972 (we're allowed to register a plate from the same year of the car here) is apparently invisible to traffic speed cameras :cool:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No emmissions or safety tests, and for some reason my licene plate from 1972 (we're allowed to register a plate from the same year of the car here) is apparently invisible to traffic speed cameras :cool:
PA is also good to us. One time registration fee, NO inspections of any kind for cars of our vintage. Only one issue. The Commonwealth's(yes, like VA, PA is a Commonwealth whatever that means) changed the design of its classic and antique plates. The new ones are as ugly as the ones on my Subaru. So I cover the new plate with an old one when I want to look pretty at a show or rally.

m_thompson

Reaction score
In RI, all cars get a safety and emissions inspection every two years. If the car is more than 25 years old, it doesn't matter if it fails the emissions test. This was a concession to the inspections stations a long time ago to get them to invest in the emissions test equipment.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Louisiana also has an Antique plate, but few people realize you can register a real plate from that year.

PA is also good to us. One time registration fee, NO inspections of any kind for cars of our vintage. Only one issue. The Commonwealth's(yes, like VA, PA is a Commonwealth whatever that means) changed the design of its classic and antique plates. The new ones are as ugly as the ones on my Subaru. So I cover the new plate with an old one when I want to look pretty at a show or rally.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Louisiana also has an Antique plate, but few people realize you can register a real plate from that year.
I wish PA would do that. The old plates for any state would look better than the hokey, modern plates shilling for their individual state fruits or vistas.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish PA would do that. The old plates for any state would look better than the hokey, modern plates shilling for their individual state fruits or vistas.

I totally derailed this thread, but Petere isn't buying an e28 anyway. :D

Agreed on the awesome look of the old plates. The CA blue plates are great. The WA plates are noticeably different since the new ones are blue and white with a drawing of Mt. Rainier in the background...

28583274931_7814c517eb_b.jpg

TREMK

Reaction score
Steve Pa does allow old plates to be used. Did it with my 1950 pickup truck. Send a picture of the plate to be used and some money. ( Forget how much) And the plate is good for the life of the vehicle. The coupe I just put a roundel sticker over the picture of the antique plate.