air filter box recovered and painted

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One day DeQ will collect all of his posts and create a How-To book for constructing / rebuilding every part of the E9!

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having the air box stripped and refinished; what's the consensus on gloss level? Seems like somewhere in between semi and satin? Thanks.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having seen multiple RAL codes fly by for the aircleaners of carbed engine's, I concluded that I should use RAL 7022, as I have a dark green aircleaner, and not a light grey one.
I purchased a paint spray can in RAL7022 colour, and it turned out too brownish grey, not green enough.

Reason to start this whole investigation, so I tried to check for it myself.
Luckily we have a RAL set and an standardized day-light cabinet in the office :)

I used the inner surface of my aircleaner as a reference.
There seem to be 2 shades used during the life cycle of the carbed aircleaners, a grey and an olive-green. My colour would definitely be the olive green.
The aircleaner came with my car, but I do not have the knowledge if the aircleaner is the correct one for my May 1973 Auto 3.0.
I'm willing to colour match other parts as well; just send me the part, or a piece of it.

I first narrowed down the search to ~15 possible matches. Pic 1.
From that I shortlisted 4: RAL#'s, pic 2&3&4.
RAL7022: too grey.
RAL 6015: Best match from the standard 197 RAL color set. I just bought a spray can, will update with a pic when it is painted (first it will be glass bead blasted ).
RAL 6008: Too green
RAL6006: Just a little too light, but a very good second choice.

In a while I will update with pic 5, using RAL 6015.
Hope this helps other in choosing the correct colour.
Erik

Attachments

• RAL long list.jpg
    RAL long list.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 128
  • short list.jpg
    short list.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 106
  • short list -1.jpg
    short list -1.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 146
  • short list -2.jpg
    short list -2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Addendum; as i just finished the above university study, my colleague mentioned that there is a second RAL systemwhich also has a more detailed color system, called the 'RAL D2 Design Part 2' set with over 1600 colour patches. In that set I found an even better match (possible the same 7 digit number as Dequincey reported on):

RAL 120 30 05 is best fit so far, even better then RAL 6015 mentioned above. Identical to my engineers eye.
RAL 140 30 05 is also a better fit compared to RAL 6015, but slightly off still.

And, just like DeQ probably experienced; these colour codes are used industrially, so I could not find them in a spray can unfortunately.

Ps: note that it is very risky to compare the images on a screen to a part color. Your monitor is likely way off compared to the actual RAL cards. Starting with the fact that google gives 90% of results with different tones. Some of them are close. Even so, most of them are way off compared to a RAL swatch next to my screen.

Edit sept 2020: typo corrected in the most important bit of this post, the RAL number is 120 30 05; (I typed 120 03 05 by mistake) Sorry @ Tferrer for waisting your time & thanks to Markos for spotting it. The pictures do show the number on the swatch as well.

Attachments

• 20200818_181513.jpg
    20200818_181513.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200818_181550.jpg
    20200818_181550.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200818_181750.jpg
    20200818_181750.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Having seen multiple RAL codes fly by for te aircleaners of carbed engine's, I tried to check for it myself.
Luckily we have a RAL set and an standardized day-light cabinet in the office :)

I used the inner surface of my aircleaner as a reference.
There seem to be 2 shades used during the life cycle of the carbed aircleaners, a grey and an olive-green. My colour would definitely be the olive green.
The aircleaner came with my car, but I do not have the knowledge if the aircleaner is the correct one for my May 1973 Auto 3.0.
I'm willing to colour match other parts as well; just send me the part, or a piece of it.)

I first narrowed down the search to ~15 possible matches. Pic 1.
From that I shortlisted 4: RAL#'s, pic 2&3&4.
RAL7022: too grey. I even had a paint spray can in this colour, and it was indeed to brownisch grey. not green enough.
RAL 6015: Best match from the standard 197 RAL color set. I just bought a spray can, will update with a pic when it is painted (first it will be glass bead blasted ).
RAL 6008: Too green
RAL6006: Just a little too light, but a very good second choice.

In a while I will update with pic 5, using RAL 6015.
Hope this helps other in choosing the correct colour.
Erik

it looks very accurate
thanks

ral6015 then

yes the 7 digit ral is useless

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@ DeQuincey; I have asked my local BMW dealer about the rubber part that seals the lid to the aircleaner. Partnumber acc books is 13 71 1 225 160 “Gummiring”.

The dealer replied yesterday that it is unfortunatly NLA.
Where did you find your part?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@ DeQuincey; I have asked my local BMW dealer about the rubber part that seals the lid to the aircleaner. Partnumber acc books is 13 71 1 225 160 “Gummiring”.

The dealer replied yesterday that it is unfortunatly NLA.
Where did you find your part?

i saw this by chance, your paging was incorrect, @deQuincey works, @ De... unfortunately doesnt

i bought at the dealer
but you really dont need it, use any silicone transparent tubing, external diameter around 6 to 8mm, there is no need to close the circle

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Erik, I think that cs-werk sells a reproduction seal for the air filter,
Cheers
Victor

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How did the RAL 6015 turn out? I am going to order up a spray can to do a CSi airbox and am looking at the 7022 and this one, I want to lean toward the olive green, not grey. They can also put RAL 140 30 05 into a spray can.

Addendum; as i just finished the above university study, my colleague mentioned that there is a second RAL systemwhich also has a more detailed color system, called the 'D2' set with over 1600 colour patches. In that set I found an even better match (possible the same 7 digit number as Dequincey reported on):

RAL 120 03 05 is best fit so far, even better then RAL 6015 mentioned above. Identical to my engineers eye.
RAL 140 30 05 is also a better fit compared to RAL 6015, but slightly off still.

And, just like DeQ probably experienced; these colour codes are used industrially, so I could not find them in a spray can unfortunately.

Ps: note that it is very risky to compare the images on a screen to a part color. Your monitor is likely way off compared to the actual RAL cards. Starting with the fact that google gives 90% of results with different tones. Some of them are close. Even so, most of them are way off compared to a RAL swatch next to my screen.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a quick search and this website popped up as being able to supply that paint in an arcrylic enamel at what seems to be a very reasonable price . What is the right sheen (gloss, semi-gloss)? I’m asking because my stock AC was painted a very glossy metallic grey by a PO and I wanted to return it to the correct finish/color.

RAL grey

My search also yielded multiple places in the UK that can supply this code in a spray can, including a 2-part catalyzed formulation (which is preferred for resistance to gas and other solvents like carb cleaner) .

Steve, does your source do catalyzed spray cans?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a quick search and this website popped up as being able to supply that paint in an arcrylic enamel at what seems to be a very reasonable price . What is the right sheen (gloss, semi-gloss)? I’m asking because my stock AC was painted a very glossy metallic grey by a PO and I wanted to return it to the correct finish/color.

RAL grey

My search also yielded multiple places in the UK that can supply this code in a spray can, including a 2-part catalyzed formulation (which is preferred for resistance to gas and other solvents like carb cleaner) .

Steve, does your source do catalyzed spray cans?

Are you sure that's the right code you're getting? I get this from my search...
Screenshot_20200924-065602_Chrome.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus, what is the fuzzy ring around the filler cap in the picture of your engine on the 21 Dec 2015 post on this thread, page one?

@dave v. in nc please when you want to call my attention use this trick: @deQuincey so i will receive an alert

as to this question if you reply the specific post, we will see the photo, i will do now