CTD

Reaction score
IMG20220801175635.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Loving this wheel. I had my wood pieces done to match.

View attachment 146314
Hey CTD,

I noticed the LCD on your dash. I was considering doing the same thing. Which car stereo is it? Is it the Pioneer modular series? Would you be willing to post me some pictures? Maybe others in the forum would be interested too. It fit's nicely in front of the speaker grill where you put it.

CTD

Reaction score
Hey CTD,

I noticed the LCD on your dash. I was considering doing the same thing. Which car stereo is it? Is it the Pioneer modular series? Would you be willing to post me some pictures? Maybe others in the forum would be interested too. It fit's nicely in front of the speaker grill where you put it.
Hi there,

I used the Alpine freestyle unit. It has the LCD separate from the headunit and the controls also.
It fits perfectly under the grille.
I had my wood redone and descided to do this.

I can cover up the LCD with the speaker grille. The holes where the grille plugs into can be covered up with 2 wooden covers.

I placed the controles below the original radio which is only connected for the lighting.

I people here are interested in my setup, I might make a separate thread with the complete audio system (hideen speakers, sub, amps,...)

In these pictures not everything is cleaned up yet as I took them last summer.

IMG20220814150241.jpg
IMG20220814150339.jpg
IMG20220814150458.jpg
IMG20220814150417.jpg
IMG20220814150501.jpg

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi there,

I used the Alpine freestyle unit. It has the LCD separate from the headunit and the controls also.
It fits perfectly under the grille.
I had my wood redone and descided to do this.

I can cover up the LCD with the speaker grille. The holes where the grille plugs into can be covered up with 2 wooden covers.

I placed the controles below the original radio which is only connected for the lighting.

I people here are interested in my setup, I might make a separate thread with the complete audio system (hideen speakers, sub, amps,...)

In these pictures not everything is cleaned up yet as I took them last summer.

View attachment 155618View attachment 155619View attachment 155620View attachment 155621View attachment 155622
Wow that's really nice - I'll look into the Alpine freestyle too!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Too bad the Alpine X701D-F is not available in the USA

UPDATE: looks like they don't sell the 9" anymore.

The 9" is 5 3/8" tall.

Not worried about the speaker grille, would that still work on that wood dash?

Last edited:

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
Has anyone tried to install the Alpine iLX-W650. It’s a 7 inch audio /video receiver . It may be able to be installed in the center speaker . I just not sure if that center speaker area is deep enough. Does anyone have the depth measurement behind the center speaker?

The dimensions of this Alpine unit are width : 7 inches (178mm) , height : 4 inches (100mm) depth : 2 6/16th (60mm) .

I am going to remove my speaker and measure but I am not keen on cutting any larger than the speaker box cover. Just wondering if this center speaker depth information available.
IMG_6019.jpeg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did try it. It doesn't fit. Unless you are OK with it sticking 1 or 2 cm out. There is simply not enough depth available as the ILX 650 is a complete unit, unlike the X703

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
Thank you, for the quick reply. Much appreciated. Looks like I will be returning that unit today and continue looking for a good clean Apple play solution with a 7 inch screen.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought the ILX650 and made a test box of the same dimensions. Here is how much it sticks out

IMG_8322.jpeg

IMG_8492.jpeg

And you have to add a bit more for the thickness of the connector

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a different take on a 'dash mount' screen.
I have my car currently at @sfdon (99% finished) with a full meal deal restoration - 5 years in the making. LOL Long story, but to the point at hand....

I removed the speaker grill entirely (new wood) to give my car a cleaner dash look. I do plan on being able to use a screen for nav or other purposes - but I will use something non-permanent on the dash. I have one of these already for my Garmin and think it will do the trick here as well. The four 'petals' making up the base can be folded up (so to speak) to allow the base to sit in the shelf area of the dash. I can then also remove it when I don't want to have it out. The bottom of the base is rubberish so it grabs the dash and also does not damage anything.

Now - this is my plan. I have not had a chance to try it in the car, but will do so shortly as the car will be coming home soon.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a different take on a 'dash mount' screen.
I have my car currently at @sfdon (99% finished) with a full meal deal restoration - 5 years in the making. LOL Long story, but to the point at hand....

I removed the speaker grill entirely (new wood) to give my car a cleaner dash look. I do plan on being able to use a screen for nav or other purposes - but I will use something non-permanent on the dash. I have one of these already for my Garmin and think it will do the trick here as well. The four 'petals' making up the base can be folded up (so to speak) to allow the base to sit in the shelf area of the dash. I can then also remove it when I don't want to have it out. The bottom of the base is rubberish so it grabs the dash and also does not damage anything.

Now - this is my plan. I have not had a chance to try it in the car, but will do so shortly as the car will be coming home soon.
In that same line of thought but more customized for the coupe...