Alternator

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is there a trick to getting the top bolt out, or do they just corrode and stick? I have everything else out, the alternator flops around but the bolt won't budge. I PB blasted it so I'll see tomorrow, just making sure I'm not missing something

Second, what's the go-to replacement these days (I have a Bosch AL45X, so my wiring is set up for the internal voltage regulator.) I've seen Mike's threads about the Delco as a backup, but what about Bosch replacements? I'd like to get something with a bit more amperage also. Is it best to have this one rebuilt that way, and if so who does it? Is there anything off the shelf that works?

Thanks.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The AL41x from the e12 cars has bushings in it making it wider than the AL45x.

if you swap to a AL41x you need the wider bracket and a ground strap.

Attachments

• AF9C67F9-43CD-4232-8876-76F13E7B2088.png
    AF9C67F9-43CD-4232-8876-76F13E7B2088.png
    427 KB · Views: 151

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We buy these….

Attachments

• E2A8D5C2-9504-4147-AFF5-0DD1761A359F.jpeg
    E2A8D5C2-9504-4147-AFF5-0DD1761A359F.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 153

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mr. HB Chris knows the people- they have been good to deal with.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK thanks, yes I saw those alternators as well and understand the mount/ground need. Carl Nelson has also mentioned a rebuild option so I'm waiting to see what he says now that I've been able to figure out specifically what I have. Appreciate everyone's help.

If I go with the E12 conversion, does anyone have a bracket they'd be willing to part with?

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does the top pivot bolt thread to the mount or alternator at all or just slide through (to be clear, the large bolt at the top that goes through the mounting)? Mine is stuck pretty good and I'm trying to make sure I don't do something to make things worse. After 2 days of PB blaster I think it moved a tiny bit but isn't breaking loose. Appears to be seized to the mounting ear. Any suggestions on how to get this thing out appreciated.

1627570925389.png

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen. I put the nut on the end and put a shallow socket on the nut and whacked it with a hammer.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So after mike's response it started to move a tiny bit, I just would work it, spray some blaster on there, and leave it, then go back here and there and eventually it loosened to where I could turn it but it wouldn't come out even with a hammer, so I used a screwdriver as a wedge and hammered it between the bolt head and the mount which it got to move a couple mm, at which point I could hammer the end. Got stuck halfway so I sprayed it again and left it overnight and voila, popped out this morning. Now I can go on vacation and not lay awake thinking about getting the damn alternator out. My garage might be a PB Blaster SuperFund site but it worked. Thanks for everyone's help!

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just to wrap up I bought a replacement AL45x on ebay, but the ones from BNR have an extended center shaft that interferes with the power steering belt. So I found a guy in Chicago who rebuilds them if anyone needs it, rebuilt mine for $100. When I put it in the pulley was rubbing on the power steering belt, so I suspect they put a couple washers in the pulley that weren't there or something. Solution ended up to be shimming out the power steering pulley a bit, which gave me just enough clearance.