Another BaT Coupe

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are lots of minor things I would have done differently such as the underside which is body color. He used the correct color of primer, the greenish khaki, but it should be grey over that. He kept the subframes the greenish grey instead of shooting them black, kudos. The Baikal paint looks too blue and too bright but it might be the camera, Baikal is blue grey, I don’t see enough grey. Leather seats have wrinkles and such where it is tucked. A NA market coupe wouldn’t have an E sticker, eveidence that many apply whatever comes in their sticker kit. Love the sport steering wheel. No trunk wheel arch covers. As an early 3.0CS it still has the rear mounted shoulder belts so pre-Jan 1972. So many photos I dread going back through them!
I would also had stripped and polished all the interior chrome. I love this type of resto, but question why people go all in on somethings then dont address items that are so obvious.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m going to abide to Chris’s new years resolution and let the coupe speak for itself. No need to pick this one apart. I’m happy to see a proper example on BAT.

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think most people want comments regarding the restoration to build a knowledge base for their own future projects, not to diminish someones previous work. At least I hope so. In that spirit, it looks like the rocker covers were painted smooth instead of the "nubby" texture that came from the factory. My body shop uses Wurth SKS.

I suspect this car will bring a high final bid. Whether it makes reserve, we will see. My personal opinion is that if someone plans to bid that much they should buy a plane ticket and look at it in person.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
bimbill said:
I think most people want comments regarding the restoration to build a knowledge base for their own future projects, not to diminish someones previous work.
Yes, exactly! Thank you for articulating so well - something I seem to fail to do so often. :confused:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First of all, after looking at all the pictures I wanted to jump up and yell !!Hooray!!!

An awesome job and a car that anyone would be proud of for 100K SUPER, SUPER- really well done and at this level a great "driver" (I would not be afraid to pull an Andrew Wilson in this car).

That being said;
Unprepared rust through in the battery tray
Right side front tow hook missing
Bolt hole plug missing from the inner door
Air cleaner clips are painted
Black headlight cover screw caps
Hose not on the heat shield
Non standard floorboard replacement and spare tire floor
Auto transmission radiator

I'm sure there are more as mentioned above but we should "spiritually" take the restorer out for a few beers!!!!!!!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay then. I wish that the beautiful front seats were tucked on the lower portion.

I think most people want comments regarding the restoration to build a knowledge base for their own future projects, not to diminish someones previous work. At least I hope so. In that spirit, it looks like the rocker covers were painted smooth instead of the "nubby" texture that came from the factory. My body shop uses Wurth SKS.

I suspect this car will bring a high final bid. Whether it makes reserve, we will see. My personal opinion is that if someone plans to bid that much they should buy a plane ticket and look at it in person.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To add to what Bill said, If someone could save these pictures somewhere (as well as the descriptions) it would not only make a great model for good work but it really shows how much work goes into making what I would consider a "proper Coupe". Yes there are some shortcomings, almost all of which are easily addressable, but I would be very pleased to see meself driving this car and for sure it needs to be seen up close and personal.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Correct? I dunno.

Paint so thick that the spare tire well ruts filled in with paint?

IMG_20160416_095145.jpg

What I would expect:

spare%20wheel%20well.jpg

js640_trunk_006.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos said:
That is a custom fabricated tire well.
I agree. The restorer must have creased a flat piece of sheet metal to create a slightly stiffened tire well. I noticed that they appear to have fabricated their own floor pans, too. Looks like they rolled beads in the metal for stiffness, but not in the same locations/patters as the original (or available reproductions).
IMG_20150613_162008.jpg

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why go through all this effort and not secure the duct from the air cleaner housing? Nonetheless, beautiful car, although the blue/red color scheme seems out of place on a German car; I'd expect to see that combination on a Duetto.

waynesie

Reaction score
Lots of work in this car, looks like new...ish.

It's well done... but not my taste. I don't like the red with Baikal Blue, it might be better in different light, but a bit gaudy.... then they used black vent and side grill covers, sort of conservative for a darker color.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lots of work in this car, looks like new...ish.

It's well done... but not my taste. I don't like the red with Baikal Blue, it might be better in different light, but a bit gaudy.... then they used black vent and side grill covers, sort of conservative for a darker color.

This is one of the difficulties in restoring one of these cars. There are scores of little decisions on whether to change things, particularly if you want to make the car more functional. Some are relatively benign, like getting rid of the US sealed beam headlights. My decision to go to Schroth harnesses is probably the one that generates the most "taste" related comments, but my car originally came with lap belts (so restoring it strictly to stock configuration was not an option), and the harnesses were the safest alternative I could find.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The biggest "obvious mistake" is that the restorer did not consult our forum during the restoration, that car would have fetched 25K more had he done that. He has come really close, so close to a 100K+ car but he just didn't ask the right people and that's a shame because he probably would have made lots of friends here and he obviously could have contributed to our group.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The biggest "obvious mistake" is that the restorer did not consult our forum during the restoration, that car would have fetched 25K more had he done that. He has come really close, so close to a 100K+ car but he just didn't ask the right people and that's a shame because he probably would have made lots of friends here and he obviously could have contributed to our group.

Yes but consulting the forum adds $25k to the restoration. :)

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score

No offense meant here Peter, but how do we know yet what the car will bring? You said it's close to a 100K car but it could go over that, who knows at this point. It's at 35K only two days in, there's a lot of time left on this auction - including a potential bidding frenzy at the end.

I think the thing is beautiful, I love the color combo! Yes, the interior is really really red but I'm a sucker for red interiors.

I'll be watching the last half hour of this auction, which could easily turn into an hour with the two minute bid extensions. I can't wait!!