Another BaT Coupe

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I'm way out on a limb here, my thought process (if I have one) is that this guy put some major bucks into this car and he's not going to let it go for less than a 90K reserve so it may not sell, but it may and thus my comment regarding a 100K car, now, barring the color likes and dislikes, if it were a really flawless restoration- which he could have done with some e9coupe.com input- he would have something that would fetch over 100K easily, again, in my op.

And Vince, remember, a Psychic like me is someone who foretells the future- but it does not mean that I'm always right :)

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, I'm way out on a limb here, my thought process (if I have one) is that this guy put some major bucks into this car and he's not going to let it go for less than a 90K reserve so it may not sell, but it may and thus my comment regarding a 100K car, now, barring the color likes and dislikes, if it were a really flawless restoration- which he could have done with some e9coupe.com input- he would have something that would fetch over 100K easily, again, in my op.

And Vince, remember, a Psychic like me is someone who foretells the future- but it does not mean that I'm always right :)

You may be right, or this coupe could go well over a 100K - we'll have to wait and see.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Blue /red combo works better with darker hues:

https://m.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/bmw/3-0/3-0-cs/1974/103009

dark-blue.jpg

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Up to $50,000 now.

I believe this is the same color combo that a father and son drove to the Vintage this year and it looked stunning in person.

m73

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of said car? I am talking about the father/son model driven to the show?

TIA,

-M

BobG

Reaction score
I'm amazed that people are doing floors, quarters, spare tire wells, inner fenders, etc without replacement panels available. My Volvo 242 build was $60K+ and the only body work was fixing a few dents, but bodywork/paint alone was $10K. And that car you can buy factory quarters for, even the 2 doors that stopped production in '84. Luckily this car lived in Palo Alto most of its life and was as rust free as they come.

This forum has been awesome, has done a great job of dissuading me from just jumping into an E9 and instead waiting for the right car!

Attachments

• 242-body-shop.jpg
    242-body-shop.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 242-alpine-white.jpg
    242-alpine-white.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 153

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love BaT, but its amazing how the comments of so many uninformed people (in the sense of marque-specific knowledge) can influence an auction. There are so many tiny details that are incorrect on this car—as gorgeous as it is—yet I already see claims that it could set the new standard in terms of e9 restoration. An unsuspecting (or uncaring) buyer will not see or know the difference. I guess history is distorted in the same way...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So much little stuff wrong it is... just in the Engine bay.

Wrong plug wires
Wrong vacuum lines
Wrong overflow hose placement
Wrong plug wire tube
Wrong hardware
Drilled out t-stat housing
Wrong battery negative cable
White zip tie on fuel filter
Wrong cable on positive battery
Painted air filter clips
Wrong Radiator
Wrong hose clamps
And a lot more....

And could somebody Please re-route that #2 plug wire before I scream?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sh*t, I’m glad my car will never be for sale:p
Not everybody cares that much if some small stuff isn’t 100% stock as it left the factory, I think many just wants to drive a gorgeous coupe and be happy.
No offence to anyone.:)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gransin said:
Not everybody cares that much if some small stuff isn’t 100% stock as it left the factory, I think many just wants to drive a gorgeous coupe and be happy.
I think there is a relevant distinction between a faithful restoration and a custom restoration, or restomod. Both would potentially correct chassis issues. Both would potentially make the vehicle safe and fun to drive. I'd argue that a customized, or modified restoration may provide a better driving, higher performing, and/or more reliable vehicle. But the deviation from what the "factory did" is recognizable. I love that this forum has members that are able to discern these distinctions.

I agree that many buyers will love and appreciate this car because it is beautiful, reasonably well done, and should be a joy to drive. But I also agree that it should not represent a new standard for e9 restorations - that discipline (which is probably about 1% of the examples) would require more attention to original details as others have noted above.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don I know you have seen the Karate Kid. The master is only supposed to be harsh before the final performance. :D

Wrong...
Wrong...
Wrong...

Sh*t, I’m glad my car will never be for sale:p
No offence to anyone.:)

Good to hear you say that. This car reminds me a lot of your restoration, particularly the plates underbody bits.

I think there is a relevant distinction between a faithful restoration and a custom restoration, or restomod.

Good point. I really like resto mods, especially on American muscle. I’m not a big fan of most custom restorations on any platform. It is a fine line between custom and tacky.

I think you left out one of the most important and applicable types of restorations. OEM+. I would put several of the more stunning member restorations in this category. It could be a hotter motor, a taller transmission, better leather, shinier chrome, or nicer dashboard wood.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos said:
I think you left out one of the most important and applicable types of restorations. OEM+.
I had to look that one up on the Urban Dictionary as I was not familiar with that term. Yes indeed. In my mind, OEM+ falls within my definition of restomod. In other words, a restoration that may have subtle variances from a faithful factory line restoration. I would categorize what I am doing as restomod, but would now also define it as the OEM+ description as well.

I agree that "custom" builds are in a separate category, with separate proponents. I often think that a custom project car is only/most loved by the person/shop who did the work. As I say in my architectural world, just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. ;)

Last edited: