Another BaT Coupe

lsquaredb

Reaction score
I'm stunned. My first thought was maybe someday I can get my restoration cost out of my car. Second thought was I probably should send Hagerty some more money.

Leonard
'70 2800CS Bristol

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
floridabmx said:
Anybody wanna buy mine for 100k less? lol.
You know, in context with this BaT auction that sounds extremely reasonable. In fact, with these rose colored glasses, most of the other coupes for sale sound reasonable all of a sudden. ;)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of said car? I am talking about the father/son model driven to the show?

TIA,

-M
That car belongs to Bob Platz. He lives near Philadelphia and owns a Mercedes restoration shop in Camden NJ. His son's name is Harrison. They do very high end Mercedes Restorations.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What's cool is "resotmods" are still commanding good money if DONE RIGHT! Look at that backdated 911 that went for >$200k on BAT last week!

To me, a done right restomod E9 would be:

- 3.5L engine w/EFI or triple Webers, or S38
- 5 speed
- sanden, R134 AC retrofit
- Recaro or equiv seats but with OEM seat pattern
- front CSL or 635-style spoiler
- suspension updates (CN or coilovers)
- BBS or Alpina wheels
- tasteful wood trim

You couldn't get away w/the above on a Alfa GTV or Merc 280 SL or SE, but thankfully on BMWs an Porsches, done right, can almost get your money back.

Hmmm, kinda sounds like my resto mod that I am currently working on. Mine has Scheel seats.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OH man, maybe I was thinking of this car, not Paul Cain (didn't Paul restore this one?): https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/bmw/30/1974/119692

@ablank135, dang, your signature a bit big, dontcha think?

The Schwarz coupe was not touched by Paul Cain, he still has his Fjord 72 which also wasn’t an automatic. Carl Nelson did some of the work I believe. That coupe also hasn’t aged well, last asking price was in the 70s.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ll bet the new owner won’t be seen here, at that price he bought it to enjoy and could probably care less about the lack of originality.

nealf

Reaction score
That car belongs to Bob Platz. He lives near Philadelphia and owns a Mercedes restoration shop in Camden NJ. His son's name is Harrison. They do very high end Mercedes Restorations.

I know and live near Bob. The BAT car is not his. Bob's car has triple carbs and is not as nice.

m73

Reaction score

Thanks for the info, maybe a pic will surface on this forum. Also glad to see you are making progress on your coupe....always nice to spend time on winter projects :)

m73

Reaction score
Korman did over 18k in work on my car for the previous owner and is way overpriced and workmanship is just OK. Just FYI

I am certain interested owners appreciate your heads up....

Normally I don't name-drop but wanted to finish my example. Some people will pay for the history of something along with its current value-- something to keep in mind.

So if you do all work or find an excellent shop there must be some justifications for top-dollar per work done.

I am surprised this coupe fetched 135K if the Tiaga CSL was around 110-125k (not sure exactly)

These seem like Porsche-wonky numbers but who is to complain -- am I right?

Mo

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
:)

IMG_7263.JPG
IMG_7264.JPG

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was about to get my car painted but I’m wondering rather then getting a $9000 paint job would it make sense to do a $20,000 paint job and putting it in shape like this vehicle. Frankly, I believe my car would show as well as this one if it had a proper paint job. What does it cost to get a proper paint job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

restart

Reaction score
Well...guess I'll have to put my car on a rotisserie (I actually have one from my other project car) and cut....

Yes, cheaper than a lift and easier to make. :)
But bang for the buck seems to be unbeatable. The photos didn’t show the car with its rockers and many other parts cut out. I see many threads on bracing and door panel misalignment it makes me wonder how littl is required?
Mister tea head should make that rotisserie available to the PNW senior six group.

Fair, sure!Snip snip
Seems like the buyer just wanted to own a gorgeous coupe and be happy, and not focus on the details.
Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

Can’t fault that:-“
And it’s bmw and Porsche At the line! We may have to review the video to decide,

AD72417E-FF2A-4924-8A8D-AF9E15EABAE2.png

From an earlier Coupe on BAT
:)
Very wonky! There are so many issues it’s hard to know where to start, and I’m not talking about bumper guards either.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/very-nice-74-e9-on-bat.27154/

m73

Reaction score
You were saying?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-porsche-911sc-4-2/

I suppose when the real thing is pulling $1M+ then $230K is fair for a tribute car...

Yes but picture with the 'Man' (Michelin Man).......priceless :cool: Adds at least 20k to final price so well bought:rolleyes:

But seriously a clean car with HP & some history/resell-ability should be a strong money contender how strong depends on buyers pockets & actually build cost(s)

a2cd38bfde49ce382b18067cf1c017ac.jpg

Last edited: