Another dashboard restoration

lazytv

Reaction score
Folks,

I know the subject has been raised before although I wanted to shed light on the current price of having your dash done at just dashes and wanted to know if there was any other alternates. I've looked high and low for anybody else that does this service.

My dash is trashed beyond belief and previous owner only made it worse by fiber-glassing it and then re-vinyling it. Of course it fit like **** afterwards.

Justdashes quote (Sept. 8/14):

For a 1973 BMW CS, we do a complete restoration. You will need to send
the dash into us and we will do a complete reconstruction off your
original dash frame. We work off of your original part to ensure that
when you go to put it back in your car, you know it's going to fit.

Our current turnaround time is about 12 weeks from the time we receive
your part. Send to: Just Dashes 5941 Lemona Ave., Van Nuys, CA 91411

Cost:
$1,500 - 3 Piece Dash
$950 - 2 pc Upper Dash Only
$650 - Steering Column Cover, Fuse Box, and Glove Box Door
$300 - 2pc Center Console Surround (not heat sealed)
+ Shipping

Here is a link to a finished example: http://justdashes.blogspot.ca/2013/04/1974-bmw-30-dash-pad-restoration-5.html

This price includes that restoration of the dash pad in black. For any
other color, you can add $100-$150 depending on the color.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20140818_174658.jpg
    IMG_20140818_174658.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_20140825_174518.jpg
    IMG_20140825_174518.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_20140825_183118.jpg
    IMG_20140825_183118.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 2 friends have used Madera, I've seen one of them and it is very nice:

Madera Concepts
55-B Depot Road
Goleta, CA 93117
805-962-1579

Worth an inquiry

jmackro

Reaction score
I have 2 friends have used Madera, I've seen one of them and it is very nice

I too used Madera when restoring my dash, and was also pleased with the result. But, Madera reproduces/refinishes the wood parts of the e9 dash (as well as the doors and rear seat area). I don't think they get into the vinyl.

lazytv posted pictures of the vinyl parts of his dash. I had a local upholstery shop re-cover the vinyl on my dash. While their price wasn't cheap, it was less than the numbers posted above for JustDashes.

lazytv: You are aware that the dash component shown in your third picture consists of two pieces. They need to come apart to be re-covered. If the PO fiberglassed them together, you have a problem.

lazytv

Reaction score
lazytv: You are aware that the dash component shown in your third picture consists of two pieces. They need to come apart to be re-covered. If the PO fiberglassed them together, you have a problem.

Jay: I've stripped all the fiberglass off. I am aware they are in two pieces. For the photo I put them together.

I was hoping to have the vinyl vacuum re-formed and not just covered. $2k for recovering seems a little steep but I may bite the bullet but I just wanted to ask others on this board to see what my options are.

The PO re-did the wood.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was hoping to have the vinyl vacuum re-formed and not just covered. $2k for recovering seems a little steep but I may bite the bullet but I just wanted to ask others on this board to see what my options are.

Just dashes removes everything down to the metal frame of the dash, uses new foam, sculpts it, and recovers in vinyl. They do a great job. We are lucky to have a least one company that does this. Do you suppose if you had to buy a dash for a modern car it would be any less $?

The only issue I had with their work was the very thin ends of the dash that tuck under the metal trim were not long enough for that to be possible. So they really only butt against the trim (at the location where the trim bulges inwards). You might ask them to try and leave those a little longer.

There have been some here on the board that have had the dash recovered in leather. This can look nice but is definitely not original looking.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread.

I too used Madera when restoring my dash, and was also pleased with the result. But, Madera reproduces/refinishes the wood parts of the e9 dash (as well as the doors and rear seat area). I don't think they get into the vinyl.

lazytv posted pictures of the vinyl parts of his dash. I had a local upholstery shop re-cover the vinyl on my dash. While their price wasn't cheap, it was less than the numbers posted above for JustDashes.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I used bucket stitch in Greenville, SC to do my dash as well as the console sides. There original quote for the three piece dash was around 500. That included fixing two large cracks on the upper dash portion.

lazytv

Reaction score
images of fasteners

Has anybody photographed the removal or installation procedure. I am specially looking for images of fasteners used to mount the dashboard together and to the car? The PO used drywall screws. :roll:

Thx.

jmackro

Reaction score
Rob Siegel, AKA "thehackmechanic" put together a procedure titled "Removing a Coupe dash ...... and living to tell about it" that I downloaded a few years ago and made great use of. I'm not sure where to find it today, but a message to Rob would no doubt produce a copy.

m_thompson posted a procedure called "Replacing the Speedometer and Clock in a 3.0CS" While this focuses on gauge removal, it has some great photos, and includes dash disassembly. You can find a reference to it at: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2800&highlight=clock However, the site where m_thompson posted it is no longer there.

I also downloaded and saved a file called "Dash Removal for Dummies" written by John Beaumont (74 3.0CSA). I can't find a current user in this group named "74 3.0CSA" so maybe John is no longer active.

It isn't obvious how the dash goes together - most fasteners are hidden - so these procedures are great to have. If you can't locate copies from the authors, send me your email via private message, and I'll just forward the MS Word file where I saved them.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have a pdf of Rob's and John's articles. i also have the speedo article. if you send me a PM with your email address, i'll send it to you

scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug,

i have forwarded them to the e9webmaster to post in the tech info section. hopefully this will be posted soon. they are invaluable docs.

scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan says that he will be away for a brief period, but will post these article in the tech info area when he returns. if you need them sooner, PM me with your email address and i will send them to you.

p.smitty

Reaction score
CS dash install

Hey All,
I had my dash recovered by 'Just Dashes' and it came out great. I have the 3, main, "soft" pieces and dash wood installed. Waiting on a new windshield, stainless, and gasket.The heater control panel is also installed. MY QUESTION IS, how do you attach the AC switch/vent panel? I can't remember if there is a way to bolt it to the panel above it, or if the side black, console panels keep it in place?
Also, my 3 black console panels need to be recovered, any recommendations?

Pat

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the ac panel connects to the side panels. haven't recovered the side panels yet, but several people have. sfdon mentioned somebody who was good - don't remember the name. do a search.

lazytv

Reaction score
P.Smitty

Just dashes does the three pieces (fuse/glove box panels ) and console sides as well (see my first post on this thread for price.

Have rsporsche (Scott) send you the 'Michael Thompson' dashboard disassembly instructions.. All your questions will be answered.

Cheers.

Last edited: