Another oil thread

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
So just refilled my MT with MTL which is great, it’s a little quieter and smother than what I had in it before - job done.

For my engine - my mechanic, who races classic European Cars, swears by Kendall (SAE 20 W 50). So I went with his reco.

Have since had input that I should ideally only have used a “European brand oil” as the tolerances are wider in US big block classic car motors, so the US oils are not “as suitable” for Euros?

All Kendall reviews I have seen are excellent and it’s owned by Conoco Philips so I assume it’s fine? Thoughts?

PS: Just to add, the Kendall oil brand is almost unknown in Australia (I for one had actually never heard of it before) hence a few raised eyebrows when I have told people I used it.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Check the zinc level of that brand, if you care if you can can get Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W-50 that has higher than average zinc. Allegedly. I use it.

lloyd

Reaction score
So just refilled my MT with MTL which is great, it’s a little quieter and smother than what I had in it before - job done.

For my engine - my mechanic, who races classic European Cars, swears by Kendall (SAE 20 W 50). So I went with his reco.
Have since had input that I should ideally only have used a “European brand oil” as the tolerances are wider in US big block classic car motors, so the US oils are not “as suitable” for Euros?
All Kendall reviews I have seen are excellent and it’s owned by Conoco Philips so I assume it’s fine? Thoughts?

Kendall Oil has a long history of producing or marketing many different oils under the Kendall name. (Some of us can fondly remember its green hue and not-unpleasant aroma of the oil in the gold can, pictured below.) It is therefore presumed that your question involves newly processed synthetic oil versus something that has been sitting on the shelf for decades. I have not made a study of Kendall motor oils, but at least one "version" lists 20W-50 "with boosted zinc." There are evidently a number of other product lines advertised as specially formulated for particular applications, including diesels converted to run on compressed or liquid natural gas.

full+synthetic+lineup.jpg

86433777.jpg

Kendall_1G_Super-D_NG_15W-40.png

I would expect that virtually any name brand currently mass marketed 20W-50 oil would be adequate for your needs. Most oils currently on the market are trending toward low viscosity for fuel economy and this is made possible via manufacturing advances that include tighter production tolerances and possibly improved metallurgy. That leaves fewer consumers in need of higher viscosity oils and, in effect, those consumers are fast becoming their own specialty market. It only stands to reason that most major marketers of 20W50 motor oil are also aware of the particular zinc needs for those "specialty" consumers. (Obviously it pays to check the fine print.)

It is true that some oils marketed in Europe may exceed most US Manufacturer's lubrication recommendations, and, in some instances offer a wider range of multiviscosity oils but they do so at a significant price increase and may not offer any significant lubrication advantages for street operated M30 engines.

0W-16-media-release.jpg

What+is+different+with+European+ratings.jpg

racing-oil.jpg

10231.png

Shell_Helix_Ultra_Racing_10W60_5_Liter__60191.jpg

mob_ext-life-10w-60-5l.jpg

11521.jpg

And, if all else fails and you are concerned about voiding your new car warranty . . .

s-l1000.jpg

l_x499_.jpg
LUCAS_HotRod20W50.jpg

539244_x800.jpg

GULF_Classic_20-50.jpg

Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Brad Penn oil has very high zinc content as has Shell Rotella. Brad Penn can be bought on Amazon with free shipping and Rotella at Auto Zone etc. Brad Penn is green and I had thought they bought Kendall??

lloyd

Reaction score
Brad Penn oil has very high zinc content as has Shell Rotella. Brad Penn can be bought on Amazon with free shipping and Rotella at Auto Zone etc. Brad Penn is green and I had thought they bought Kendall??

BPenn bought the refinery. Conoco/Phillips bought the name. ;)

The OLD Kendall oil - In 1997, American Refining Group, Inc. purchased the Kendall® / Amalie® refinery located in Bradford, PA, from Witco Corporation. As a result of the sale of the Kendall® and Amalie® brands to a third party, a new name was given to the products produced at the site-Brad Penn® Premium Pennsylvania Grade Lubricants.

This is like the "Green Oil" we all used to know as the Kendall GT-1 and Amalie Pro brands. Witco Chemical, the original refinery owners, sold the Kendall and Amalie naming rights years ago to Sunoco, who sold "Kendall" to Conoco/Phillips and "Amalie" to Barkett Oil Co, and those brand name oils are no longer Pennsylvania Crude based oils. Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1 oil, is made exclusively from 100% Pennsylvania Crude stocks. It's the only brand left still using these premium stocks. The crude oil is still obtained from within a 200 mi. radius of their refinery in Bradford, PA. Crude stocks from this geographic area offer the highest natural viscosity index of any crude oil. (90-95) A truely remarkable gift to us from nature. Penn Grade 1 is manufactured at the same refinery that used to make the Kendall/Amilie brands, the oldest continually working refinery in America. http://www.hdmworld.com/lube-brad_penn.htm

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, there are some old threads on the site that are worth reading. it has a lot to do with the internal engine components and the clearances that require certain viscosity oils. there is a reason that BMW suggested 20w 50 oil in our coupes ... and a reason that Porsche uses mobil 1 - 0w40 in their current engines ... no idea what BMW is currently using.