Answering the question of what's worth more: Restored or survivor?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barn finds

For what it is worth, my two pennies as I was at the auction.

Firstly, it was a shock to everybody, including the seller of the Barn find who happens to be a friend. He expected to do well and is very, very happy with the result achieved, I am guessing most people already knew that:).

Many considered experts and big time collectors had this high on the agenda of things to talk about ( and for BMW enthusiasts the $440k M1:) it seems there time has arrived) . There is talk that a couple of wealthy collectors are building Barn Find collections and these cars will stay exactly as they are, including dust and dirt.

Nobody disagrees that a great well kept original car, especially if it is an exotic of some kind, should be worth more than a restored car. To use Miles Colliers quote " a restored car will only ever be a facsimile of the original", don't know if I exactly agree with that, but he is considered an important mind in the hobby. There are always cars that are just not that important and/or there are too many of them, these do not fit into this above category.

At what point is the wonderfully restored car a better car than an original, tough question, but there has to be a point somewhere in the scales of deterioration as against fresh restoration……. doesn't there?

Here is my understanding of what is happening in these early stages of "Barn finds" that are left untouched, as it is a fairly new phenomena. Barn finds used to be found and then restored, not any more. Barn finds left as they are, are a whole new niche in our hobby. There is going to be some leveling out and finding out, as to where this part of the hobby really sits. My thoughts are Barn Finds and totally original preserved cars are two very different entities. Totally original preserved cars have been loved and cared for always, the paint can be thin, you may even see some metal, things can be worn, in fact worn a great deal, but, it is a vehicle that has been "preserved" love and cared for its whole life. That category, is clearly defined and a very, very important part of our hobby, how are we going to know how they left the factory if we do not have these survivors? They are expensive and should be.

Now to Barn Finds. There are a few collectors - who seem to have a lot of money - who are collecting this particular category, they don't care if they work, the certain don't care if they have been loved, all that seems to matter is they have been left somewhere and done absolutely nothing for a very long time, a layer of dust always helps as well. Take the 330 GTS at the same auction, pieces missing, certainly not totally original, definitely has some stories in its history and then it makes $2m, yes $2m, far and above any beautifully restored one would make, probably double in fact. In my mind, that is an old car that stopped working and was pushed into a garage and left, yes, a Ferrari and yes it is valuable, but it truly is a clapped out car that needed restoring to my eyes. Document what is original along the way, but valuing it at double a restored one?????

Many people try and use the "art" argument, if a picture or piece of furniture was restored in any significant way it has lost a lot of its value, which is true. I would argue, art and antiques were generally not utilitarian objects, yes, some furniture was used, but the good stuff was always the good stuff. I am guessing _ I could be wrong - Louis the XIV didn't take his furniture outside, sit in it, slide it around corners or wipe snow and rain from it wash it or do some things in cars we all remember doing:) and wish we could only do again:)

So we have a new category of very rich collectors who have jumped in with both feet into what they consider a niche in the collector car world. Eventually this will be debated and defined, as yet I don't think anybody really knows how this category will pan out.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice Write-up BMW Pete,

Quite objective and also starts to "define" what's happening. I am not a collector, like most of us here (I think) a car is only good if it can be driven for enjoyment-even if it's for short trips. But I have been wondering of late what to make of the auctions where "barn-finds" and Patina seem to be increasing in number. My first impression was that these barn finds would be less expensive since whoever buys them would have to make them drivable, but I guess I'm in the dark about this sector of the hobby-

Thanks,

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Folks have been clamoring for a synthesis of what we learned into a usable taxonomy. The jury is in:

1) Time capsule
2) Anal restoration - this is not a surgery, it is a restoration done by an obsessed owner with body, paint, and mechanicals done as one project.
3) Upgraded stock - tasteful upgrades to stock garage queen
4) Partial restoration - generally body/paint only
5) Daily driver stock
6) Driving restoration
7) Barn find with rodents
8) Vinyl roof car
9) Rust
10) Rusty barn find with rodents and vinyl roof

Paradoxically another name for anal restoration would be holistic restoration...

scottd

Reaction score
I think there's a bit too broad grouping here. The 67-68S is different than LWB 69S for example. Throw in Targas - both SWT, glass window - vs coupe, etc... Lot more variation to reach the total production#s stated here...I have. 68s coupe that is quite different than a 69 targa for example.

I looked up 911 production for years overlapping the E9. As you may expect the numbers are not that small.

Now that doesn't mean that E9s and 911s should be equally collectable! But I'm thinkinking that E9s are uncommon enough that originality may given more of a premium if/as other classic car enthusiasts seek E9s.

Year Model Volume
1967-69 9115 5,056
1968-69 911T 6,318
1968 911L 11,610
1969 911E 2,826
1970-71 9117 15,082
1970-71 911E 4,927
1970-71 911S 4,691
1972-73 911T 16,933
1972-73 911E 4,406
1972-73 911S 5,094
1973 911 Carrera RS2.7 1,590