Any help available for a potential first time purchaser please?

potty

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post here and I feel something of an imposter as a MB fan and owner of a 1986 Mercedes 500SL.

Last weekend I went to a classic showroom to look at another old merc, which it turned out had sold and found myself admiring greatly a bmw 3.0 cs automatic from 1975. To me it was the best car in the showroom in terms of style - I've fancied buying a 635csi for some time but never seen the right one. Anyway I prefer the 3.0CS to the 635 csi, because to my eye it combines a meatier nose with a delicate and round back end in a stunning way.

I'm afraid I know very little about the E9 series other than what I have read in the past week which is very positive apart from the huge issue of rust. If I were to upload photos of the car that has caught my eye and imagination would fellow members be prepared to offer their opinions regarding the vehicle to help the uneducated gain a better feel for what I am looking at please?

The front seats seem somewhat unusual from what I can tell. I intend to test drive the car on Saturday morning and then get it put up on a lift so I can have a good poke around underneath to look at rust and rubbbers etc.

Apologies if I am overstepping the forum etiquette.

Best wishes

Pierre

JhwShark

Reaction score
Pierre,
The folks on this board are very helpful...let us know where you and the car are located, maybe someone is nearby that can help.

Post as much data in addition to the pic's. How do the doors close, does the bonnet/hood close proper. Carry a magnet and test at the front fenders below the trim piece, along the rocker panels below/underneath the cover.

Take pic's of the engine compartment, trunk inside, tool tray, inside front fender A pillar, dash, opened glove box (left and right ones), underneath the rear seat, under the spare tire...

Mileage, VIN, test results...
Others will add...
Jon

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at some pre-1974 3.0CS's. You will immediately see the difference in the bumpers. Pre-74 have delicate(and useless) beautiful chrome. If you can find a CSi, the injected european version, it will have chrome through the 1975 run.
The CSi's were not imported by dealers, individuals only. In addition the somewhat primitave fuel injection system is far superior to the carbs, even the Weber carb exchange.

Keep us posted about your search/decision.

Steve ONeill

potty

Reaction score
Thanks Jon for the very positive and speedy response. I have just a handful of pics which I have attempted to upload to this message. I'll take more on Saturday. I'm particularly interested in how original the car looks to you knowledgeable members, particularly things like the wheels, interior etc. The seats seem strange as all the pics I've viewed on this form of these vehicles have headrests and there seem to be none on these seats.

I know the body has been painted I just don't know what is hidden underneath. The car is in the Middle East so unlikely to be accessible to many members to be honest. All comments and suggestions regarding the car much appreciated. I don't know if it is a CSL or not, I remember the boot or trunk lid seemed heavy last week so guess not!

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 151
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 148
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 140
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 145
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 138

JhwShark

Reaction score
Looks clean from the surface and a euro...original with possible Alpina (type) wheels and steering wheel. Scheel seats up front...spoiler added or maybe a city pack left hand drive? VIN please...it will tell a lot

Merdad (on this board) is in Tehran...where is the car??

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Pierre,

Just a few quick thoughts from the photos.
-The steering wheel is likely a Nardi and the wheels look to be stock BMW (get a close up photo of the spoke-to-hub area to better judge).
-Those don't appear to be Scheels unless they were recovered in a strange pattern - get a photo to show the entire seat to also see how the side bolsters come to the top.
-Looks like a video screen where the speaker used to be - nav system?
-Photos are consistent with your first post that its a 3.0CS automatic.

and don't forget this useful diagram:
http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/index.htm

Good luck and keep us posted!

potty

Reaction score
I don't have a vin I'm afraid I requested it or a chassis number and was given a 6 digit number when I thought they should be 7. I'll take one off the vehicle on Saturday.

Are the front seats possibly original - they look fairly narrow and not the most comfortable. From what anyone can tell might they be the original rather than recovered?

shanon

Reaction score
Hello & Welcome.

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks clean & presentable.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Get the VIN number the 'Great VIN Hunter' here. How many could be in the Middle East currently? Vin will tell you what original color combo was and original dealer/location.
2) Accelerator pedal has been changed. Not a big deal, but will feel a bit different than original.
3) Body color and engine bay are different colors. DO the magnet check around car. Engine appears to have been removed but the motor doesn't look 'freshened/detailed'. ?!
4) Automatic tranny are kinda slush box, a manual is more 'entertaining/lively' for these cars, IMO.
5) Seat and steering wheel (leather Nardi?) appear to be older (period?) mods, kinda cool.
6) Airdam is cool, just watch those driveway transitions, etc and road dips at speed....

Drive it and see how it goes! Could make a good driver/rolling resto if the price is right.

HTH
-shanon

JhwShark

Reaction score
It is not the usual stock seat, but if a Scheel (was used/added in some euro's) they are OK for some and you will find buyers for them, the steeing wheel and the wheels if you choose to eliminate in favor of pure original...

What are the 6 digits?

potty

Reaction score
So am I hearing that the seats, wheels and steering wheel are not original, plus someone has put a modern screen in? I didn't notice that screen last weekend and am not sure where you are looking, I'll take more pics. I'm a purest when it comes to cars, I like to keep them as close to factory original as is possible.

6 digits I was given are: 432089

Last edited:

JhwShark

Reaction score
I have mine all original (euro) but sure like the Nardi steering wheels and Scheel seats...miss mine from my 2002, should never have sold with the car.

Also...Post pics of all the labels in the engine compartment and if possible the drive train.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
few more thoughts/clarifications

I've circled what looks like some sort of screen in your photo, particularly what look like buttons across the bottom:
interior.jpg

Here's an example to compare with (keeping in mind that this is a 72, but it is stock)
IMG_1352.jpg

the above photo is my car and I've since changed the steering wheel, among other things. Unless you are very strict about being stock, you will find that many coupe owners have made changes to "improve" their driving experiences. The stock steering wheel is rather large and thin. The stock seats aren't the most supportive. Etc, etc, etc.
And to clarify - I think those Alpina-style wheels are stock.
The VIN doesn't seem to be correct by the table I looked at...

jmackro

Reaction score
So am I hearing that the seats, wheels and steering wheel are not original, plus someone has put a modern screen in? ..... I'm a purest when it comes to cars, I like to keep them as close to factory original as is possible.

In addition to the aftermarket navigation system (which kwijibo explained), other things that I see as non-original are the gas pedal, and that toggle switch to the left of the steering column.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've circled what looks like some sort of screen in your photo, particularly what look like buttons across the bottom:
interior.jpg

I think what you've circled there is the gear shift indicator found on the dash of post '73 automatics. It appears that the wood grille is intact over the speaker from the photo. The indicator can be removed during conversion, but you will have a hole on the tray to hide/fill.

tmason

Reaction score
I think the panel on the dash is the indicator for the automatic unfortuntely I have one :-(
Make sure to look at alot of these cars if serious and be very selective because price's can vary from 5K to 35K + (for rust,very little rust and no rust)and than there is the CSL Class.
Good luck and welcome aboard, Tim.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a nice 75 Euro 3.0 CS. See the correct adjustable telescoping steering column that is not available on the pre 74 and 75 coupes.

Is the Chamoix white the original color? The engine bay is suppose to be the same as the body color. The black painted fender is either the original color or it was replaced and just painted black. Judging by how new the right fender looks, it does appear to be a replacement. Also the vin plate is not suppose to be attached here.

Does not appear to be a navigation screen to me. Just the speaker grill and the automatic gear indicator light module. Believe this was mounted here on some late automatic coupes.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
All that non-original stuff can be replaced without too much hassle. If it were me, here is what I would try to photograph and discuss:

front fender seams
rockers
spare tire wheel well
rear shock mounts
floorpans under the carpet
everything underneath

Might want to check this site for pointers on where the hidden costs may be hiding:
http://coupeking.com/product_main.php?product_id=471&image_id=1238979644

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't find the euro fog light. The automatics were rubbish from the factory. The one in my Bavaria failed at 50k. If you are a purist, keep looking, take your time and, try to keep the car fever under 100.6. The non-matching colors, the condition of the engine bay, the ??? mark seats, the possibly missing euro fog light, would be deal breakers for me. If you are starting with a "rough one" the cost of bringing it back are steep.

Steve

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think what you've circled there is the gear shift indicator found on the dash of post '73 automatics. It appears that the wood grille is intact over the speaker from the photo. The indicator can be removed during conversion, but you will have a hole on the tray to hide/fill.

Ahhh, I stand corrected. I've never been in a late auto, sorry about the false alarm.