Any help available for a potential first time purchaser please?

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ahhh, I stand corrected. I've never been in a late auto, sorry about the false alarm.

Not so much corrected as comforted. Consider yourself blessed by your relative ignorance -as the knowledge of this bit of esoterica usually only belongs to those who no longer possess this item and instead puzzle over what to use to cover the hole left in the dash tray once the five speed goes in.....

BTW, I'd say the photo-detail prize goes to Bert35csi for seeing the telescoping steering wheel lever under the column. How'd you catch that one? Impressive.

And from ten feet in the photos, looks like a pretty straight car. Get an experienced body guy in to check the items David mentioned, check the mechanical bits and buy it & drive it if it checks out. There can't be that many decent late coupes sitting around in the middle east.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't find the euro fog light. The automatics were rubbish from the factory. The one in my Bavaria failed at 50k. If you are a purist, keep looking, take your time and, try to keep the car fever under 100.6. The non-matching colors, the condition of the engine bay, the ??? mark seats, the possibly missing euro fog light, would be deal breakers for me. If you are starting with a "rough one" the cost of bringing it back are steep.

Steve

+1

a general rule of thumb: the money you are saving in the purchase of a bargain unit will become x5 times the money you will need to spend on it in the next 2 or 3 years to reach the level of a "correct unit"

take it easy ! keep on looking !:-D

potty

Reaction score
Many thanks to all those members who have replied. I will take photos tomorrow of the car to share and will carry the obligatory magnet and torch.

Whilst I had read how badly these cars rust I was unaware how serious this problem can be.

Thanks once again and more photos in due course.

potty

Reaction score
!

Well, I got there and the car had sold!

Went and looked a 1985 M 635csi instead though!

Thanks to all for your help and sorry it proved to be a waste of time.