Anybody want to go 123 ignition? (Possible group buy)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know Stevehose is very pleased with his on his Triple Weber equipped Coupe. I am just trying to get to know exactly what my options are for a new ignition system for my Coupe. If a few are interested, we might be able to get a decent discount. If one other than me is interested we will get an automatic 5%.
Anyone considering this, please step up and we can see where this goes.

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've heard great things about these. I'd be in except I've already bought a rebuilt unit for my car.
Don't turn on the immobilizer and then damage your phone....

Ian

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take a look over at bmw2002faq.com They did a recent group buy of 40+ units and the savings were substantial.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be interested. I believe I even saw some vintage Aston Martins being displayed on the lawn at Pebble Beach sporting 123 ignitions.

Doug

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, they bought 43 units at BMW 2002faq. Wished I'd got in on that, as they were including M30's in the buy. Not sure what percentage off they got. Isquaredb, did you buy yours for a Coupe or 2002?
I guess maybe start a list here if there is interest and then go back to 2002 faq and see if any stragglers want in. Wonder if they have any for Corvairs!!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
did you buy yours for a Coupe or 2002?

Yes... :cool:

(Early Coupes have the same M10 as the 2002)
engine bay II.jpg

I've run a 123 dizzy in my '71 2002 for a couple of years and it made a huge difference in how the engine behaves, especially cruising and part-throttle. The M10 with side drafts responds very well to lots of ignition advance at low rpms; but I could never balance that without pinging at later rpms. The 123 allows you adjust any point of the ignition curve, including vacuum advance/retard. I especially recommend the 123 for those who run a rebuilt engine with performance camshafts, high-comp pistons, etc... If you have a WBO2 sensor, you can tune your engine very nicely (such as Steve's textbook example)

I bought the BlueTooth Tune model for the 2000CS... haven't dropped it in yet, but I know it will make a difference.

Ed

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I am pretty pumped about this product. I will wait a couple of weeks or so before ordering one for my Coupe . Let's see if we get get some takers and negotiate a bit of a discount.

CookeD

Reaction score
How does the 123 distributor install with the stock coil / ballast resistor? In other words, is this a complete drop-in that would allow timing control?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I run mine with Bosch red coil and ballast resistor. If you get the programmable one (highly recommended) you can set curves ad infinitum. This will allow you to accommodate engine mods or beef up the conservative stock curve and also dial in a perfect dyno session. Installs just like a stock dist. Also accommodates vacuum advance.

How does the 123 distributor install with the stock coil / ballast resistor? In other words, is this a complete drop-in that would allow timing control?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wish I had thought of the group-buy angle! I have one in my coupe - dual weber 38/38, high compression, Paul Burke cam. Really like it

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ask Ed at 123 USA to see if he can do the group buy, that way you're covered for warranty and lost shipments from overseas.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok great, that means 5% savings so far ( I think). I'll get in touch with the US supplier to see how this might work.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Spoke to Ed who is the distributor for 123 in the USA. He said we would get a 10% discount off the regular price for a 123 unit if we are a group of a few. He is away till the 21st of February.
Shipping in the USA will be $15 via US post. He is not sure of his stock for a carb M30 at the moment. It might take three weeks from when the order is placed to get additional stock. Best way is when we have all interested parties ready to go, I will forward your email addresses to him and he will send a PayPal invoice. PM me your email and coordinates if you are interested in a 123 ignition at a modest discount. State which model you are interested in, as the carb unit is different from the FI unit
Cheers.

Last edited: