Anybody want to go 123 ignition? (Possible group buy)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, here is an update. If any of the forum members want to purchase a 123 system through the US distributor, they can go to the 123 USA site :
123ignitionusa.com
Pick what they want for their Coupe and on checkout enter the code: E9groupbuy
This will apply the 10% discount. This code will be active for two weeks.
Ed said that he won't be able to ship till feb 21.
I think SteveHose was the pioneer 123 member here. So thanks for the trailblazing on this tech Steve.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
This code while active works for any products on the 123 site. Ed has informed me that the USB version is on hand and ready to ship now if that is what your are after.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Way cool. I am still learning about mine; suggest we perhaps share experiences whilst working out the kinks on these.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all. I was going to start a new thread, but thought re-invigorating this one might make more sense. I am about to order a 123 ignition system, including the dizzy, coil, and new wires. I am going with the USB tune-able model. I just spoke with Ed Madak at 123ingitionusa about a group buy. He responded quickly and offered a 5% discount for me. I see, though, that with a few buyers in our group last year he increased the discount to 10%. With that in mind, I asked him in an email if he would do that again. I haven't heard back yet, but thought I should ping the group to see if anyone else is interested/ready to make a purchase. I figure with larger numbers, our case would be stronger. Let me know. 5% is good. 10% is better. :)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just heard back from Ed. He has extended us a coupon code that will provide a 5% discount for the first 4 buyers. If a 5th (or more) is purchased, the discount will go to 10% and he said he will refund the first 4 folks to net out to the 10% discount. It sounds like this is at least the 3rd attempt at a group buy from our forum, so there may not be that many of us that want/need this system.?. But I am going to make the purchase right now. Selfishly ;) I strongly encourage 4 or 5 others to do the same. There is a cutoff of April 20.

The coupon code to use for this 5% / 10% deal is: 914world5

Ed made a point that the code is all lower case and no spaces.

I look forward to installing the system, and learning if any others are making a purchase.

jmackro

Reaction score
I just heard back from Ed. He has extended us a coupon code that will provide a 5% discount for the first 4 buyers.

I assume the site where this Ed does business is: http://123ignitionusa.com

And I assume the pertinent part is at: http://123ignitionusa.com/bmw-6-cyl...uetooth-tune-6-r-v-bmw-no-usb-cable-required/ , their SKU:Tune+ 6-R-V-BMW, listing at $509.95.

Some questions that the site doesn't seem to address: Do you need to change coils, and if so, what coil do you use with the 123? Do you keep the stock e9 ballast resistor? Will the stock e9 electronic tach work OK with the 123?

What advance curve do e9 owners tend to use? There is a "canned" curve for an e9 available from the site at: http://123ignitionusa.com/content/BMW E9 3.0 CS BOSCH Dist number 0231309005 with vacuum.xml I'm sure that many people program custom curves, but is this curve a good starting point?

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I assume the site where this Ed does business is: http://123ignitionusa.com

Yes

And I assume the pertinent part is at: http://123ignitionusa.com/bmw-6-cyl...uetooth-tune-6-r-v-bmw-no-usb-cable-required/ , their SKU:Tune+ 6-R-V-BMW, listing at $509.95.

That's the bluetooth version, this is the USB version:

http://123ignitionusa.com/tune-bmw-...ted-tune-6-r-v-bmw-usb-cable-sold-separately/

Some questions that the site doesn't seem to address: Do you need to change coils, and if so, what coil do you use with the 123? Do you keep the stock e9 ballast resistor? Will the stock e9 electronic tach work OK with the 123?

Recommend Bosch red coil & 1.8 ohm ballast resistor. Tach works fine. I started by mimicking the stock curve as outlined in the blue books but then tweaked mine from there. I now run 20 degrees idle advance and 36 degrees all in.

What advance curve do e9 owners tend to use? There is a "canned" curve for an e9 available from the site at: http://123ignitionusa.com/content/BMW E9 3.0 CS BOSCH Dist number 0231309005 with vacuum.xml I'm sure that many people program custom curves, but is this curve a good starting point?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Jay,
Yes, that is Ed's website.

I am getting the Tune 6-R-V-BMW listed at $489.95. This is the USB version versus the Bluetooth version that you noted (+). For my plans, the PC interface will be easier to use and appropriate.

I don't know if you "need" to change coils. But I am getting a Bosch Red coil. Ed noted that this is a good fit for my engine configuration. And I know at least one other forum member running this combination with success. You do not use the ballast resistor. That component is intended to help with burning out points prematurely. Since the 123 system does not use points, the resistor is unnecessary.

As for timing curves, I know that @Stevehose has published at least one curve as he's been tweaking/improving his performance.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert yet, but should learn more once I get mine installed.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ballast resistor is used to keep the coil from overheating, the condensor protects the points, yes?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ballast resistor is used to keep the coil from overheating, the condensor protects the points, yes?
Well, I don't know that I'm qualified to confirm or deny that. I asked Ed, and his response was:

Hi Steven
I think all the things you're talking about are good additions if you're going to upgrade your ignition system make it the best it can be. The red coil would be a good choice as far as the ballast resistor you do not need that ballast resistors were only for keeping the points from burning out prematurely.

Hope this helps

Ed

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting, because I would think the coil would still overheat. Anyone else going commando on the resistor with their 123? Part of me wants the extra volts to the coil and the other doesn't want to blow up my german bosch NOS red coil.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's a post from a Benz forum, looks like I will be going commando soon (ballast-wise anyway):

Which coil to use with a 123 ,and if an external ballast resistor is really required needed clarity.
Many people, including myself, had an opinion but the true answer was far from clear.
To make matters worse there are many aftermarket suppliers of the 123 system around the world, each has a different recomendation.
Yesterday i contacted Frank Bobenthal from "Albertronics" in the Netherlands.
They are the parent company who develop and produce the 123 distributor .
If anybody could give the correct answer it would be them.
You can contact Frank Bontenbal on [email protected] or the the website is www.123ignition.nl
Here is the Email and the response i recieved.

Hi

I purchased one of your MERCEDES 6-R-V distributors that you developed.
It is for a 6 cylinder W113 1969 Mercedes 250sl.

In your FAQ on your website you recommend the “Bosch blue coil “,

Is this Bosch part #0221119027

You also recommend the ”Bosch red coil “ and the Beru ZS 106 and 109 coils.

For clarity which is the best and do any of these require external ballast resistors ?

Kind regards

Xxxxxx.

Hi Xxxxx,

For your 6 cylinder engine we recommend Bosch red coil 0 221 119 030 without ballast resistor.

The blue coil is better for 4 cylinder cars.

We are working on a new website....

Best regards,
Frank Bontenbal