Anyone know the CSL FS at Canepa?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As a series 1 BAT something is strange. No record of that plate or VIN in the CA smog test history which it would have had to pass thru 1996 and that plate is too early to be issued to that car, it is a circa 1971/1972 plate.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a series 1 BAT something is strange. No record of that plate or VIN in the CA smog test history which it would have had to pass thru 1996 and that plate is too early to be issued to that car, it is a circa 1971/1972 plate.

You are quite a sharp detective Chris.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Neal, can you say a few words about CSL flares

BMWM1, doesn't your CSL have extra wide rear flares ... a bit like these.
Maybe you can shed some light on this car.

ben

Reaction score
Hmm. This car was in the Greenwich Concours in Greenwich, CT back in the beginning of June. Interesting "features" on this one. The fender lip extensions have disappeared since Greenwich, but the rest of the car looks about the same...

RonP

Reaction score
It is a very early Bat as it has the hard rear spoiler that BMW changed to the soft/hard as the TUV or their rendition of the DOT here outlawed the hard spoiler quickly as they could injure pedestrians. Boy, I thought we had some weird rules...

I spoke to Bruce on the phone about the car, but he didn't give me much info on the car. It is a real Bat, but as Chris says, the plate doesn't match up with the MY of the car.

I am planning on going to take a look at it this week as I am quietly trying to sell my Bat and want to know what the competition is!

Bruce is having an "open house" every day until the 20th and since we are already in Monterey, it won't be too long of a drive and I am sure we can find some time between now and the 20th to make it up there. I will report back my findings. The flares are a bit odd, but maybe/hopefully there is a back story there...or at least I hope there is!

TodB

Reaction score
BMWM1, doesn't your CSL have extra wide rear flares ... a bit like these.
Maybe you can shed some light on this car.
I was thinking the same thing and was wondering if this posting was old and the car we saw on German Car day at Larz is this car. The owner did not know much of the car's history.

shanon

Reaction score
....maybe the Boy Wonder has some info on this one....

ha ha...ok .....tuff crowd....everyone back to work....

bubukitty

Reaction score
As it is a 1974 car, I believe it still would have had a CA blue plate. I don't believe that California went to the first of the white reflector plates until the early 1980's.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As it is a 1974 car, I believe it still would have had a CA blue plate. I don't believe that California went to the first of the white reflector plates until the early 1980's.

Blue yes, but not with the letter E, the earliest it could be would be L. The letter D was issued in 1971, I had a VW then. My 12/74 2002 was LXD.

RonP

Reaction score
Blue yes, but not with the letter E, the earliest it could be would be L. The letter D was issued in 1971, I had a VW then. My 12/74 2002 was LXD.

I always thought I had a PHD in CA license plates, but Chris "schools" me all the time, and for that I am grateful! ;-)