Anyone know this 1973 3.0CS

execmalibu

Reaction score
Seller wrote Upgraded with a 3.5 liter engine and (5) speed... Has Sunroof and is a Calif car to Texas back to Calif...

It has been advertised in numerous locations (Hemmings, ebay, Craigslist, BAT) for a very LOONG time and has not sold... I wonder why?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
This car is located in Santa Monica and has been on Hemmings for a long time. Wish I knew more about the car. Great color and looks well priced, but there is probably a reason it has not sold.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now on BAT for 18K. If it doesn't have rust issues, priced very reasonably from the limited poor quality photos.

execmalibu

Reaction score
The car supposedly is Totally Rust free and Sold in one day... I wonder who got it?

That car is not me at all because I like them restored to be as original as possible...

But for someone looking for a resto/moded E9 this car looks pretty amazing!!!

The car was originally a 1973 rust free Calif Car with a Sunroof and (4) Speed that appears to have had a $50,000 restoration 5-6 years ago... The car was stripped to bare metal with the engine removed... The car has lots of NOS trim parts and all new rubber. They installed an injected 3.5 with a (5 ) Speed. The suspension and brakes are updated and the car has Staggered Alpinas with new tires. The interior is all new with new wood... The car also has an amazing Stereo system

The car has some loose ends but don't they all?

I'll bet someone knew that it was a perfect color car for Halloween and handed the seller cash and got the car...

BOOO:shock::p

Attachments

• Orange eng.jpg
    Orange eng.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Orange dash.jpg
    Orange dash.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Orange E9.jpg
    Orange E9.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 182

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I was still in the market, I suspect I would have had cash ready for that one.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The car was originally a 1973 rust free Calif Car with a Sunroof and (4) Speed that appears to have had a $50,000 restoration 5-6 years ago... The car was stripped to bare metal with the engine removed... The car has lots of NOS trim parts and all new rubber. They installed an injected 3.5 with a (5 ) Speed. The suspension and brakes are updated and the car has Staggered Alpinas with new tires. The interior is all new with new wood... The car also has an amazing Stereo system

If it was restored five years ago what caused it to devalue down to only $18K? Something doesn't make sense.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Chris that is exactly what I have been asking for a year? There are a few bubbles...

I have repeatedly been asking for well over a year why are E9s almost worthless compared to other exotics.

I was talking to Erik at Coupeking a few days ago and he said that the "EXPENSIVE" E9s are the ones that have been heavily "UPGRADED" with a 3.5 liter Late model injected engine and with a (5) Speed tranny, Modified Suspension making the E9s into great drivers...

Well this car is the best year has a Sunroof and was a (4) Speed and looks great! It Had ALL of the expensive upgrades and drives GREAT! and is a GREAT color... But had been on the market for 4-5 Months at $28k (or best offer) with NO buyers! WHY?

Also when I went to look at the car there was a Classic Car Dealer from a place called West Coast Classics in Santa Monica already there looking at the car before me... He had first option on the car but thought it had too many issues and he PASSED and was NOT interested in the car even at the $18,000 or best offer price... He did not even make an offer!

It has a few bubbles by the Sunroof and a few tiny other flaws but what the hell do people expect from a 40 year old car?

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
My guess as to why it did not sell quicker and for more is that I only saw it in Hemmings, which is not where I think many e9 shoppers turn. The photos in Hemmings were blurry and horrible to boot. If you are a motivated seller, take a 100 photos and upload them to photobucket, etc. Seller should have posted it here and on BMWCCA.org and perhaps consigned it to coupeking. If the pix on hemmings had been better, I might have bought it myself, although I am out of garage space.
Scott

execmalibu

Reaction score
Even on Hemmings after 5 months there should have been offers!

Granted Hemmings might not be the absolute prime location but it is a well established venue and is also internet accessed and after 5 months there should have been offers or a least people asking for better photos...

Any real buyer of an E9 should have been curious... Just the owners long description about a 1973 with NO rust, a 3.5 and restored etc is VERY interesting and definitely worth investigating...

Sorry to beat a dead horse but if it were a 911 or a 356 people would have been looking to score a barn find or a diamond in the rough and would have asked for a lot more info/pictures...

It turns out this car is a high grade diamond that has been already cut and polished that people have walked past and ignored for 5 months!:-D

At $28,000 there were NO buyers for this car during the 5 months and there is no doubt that lots of people saw the car advertised, but at $18,000 the recent asking price there is definitely more interest. There also are a few 3.0Cs on ebay and other sites on the internet and they are also NOT selling...

Also when I went to look at the car there was a Classic Car Dealer from a place called West Coast Classics in Santa Monica already there before me... He had first option on the car but thought it had too many issues and he PASSED and was NOT interested in the car even at the $18,000 or best offer price...

We just took the car out to diner with the CD player blasting and the Electric Sunroof open my wife said she likes this car the best of my E9s...

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool, so you bought it? Was it originally Colorado? I was looking into buying Merdad's Colorado coupe back when Murray was representing it, but it was out of my price range.

Post more pix please. (Good ones)

Trev

Reaction score
I tend to agree about the choice of venue the ownwer used to try and sell it. If it really was for sale for 5 months and wasnt posted about on this forum till the other day seems like it just stayed under the radar for folk looking for that type of car. The seller could have probably made more money had he tried to sell it in more places that would have given the car better exposure.

Its such a GREAT, GREAT, GREAT color that you don't see very often, what a great buy. Jealous.

execmalibu

Reaction score
A few photos...

Stripping and painting a car correctly is very expensive at easily $10-$15K.
Plus the cost for the full Injected 3.5 Liter /5 Speed with the Suspension upgrade is around $10-12K

But as I look around I see that someone spent an enormous amount of Money restoring this car...

There are just so many trim pieces that are brand new like ALL (6) pieces of the Belt Moldings, ALL (3) front Grilles, ALL of the Hood/Side Grilles, ALL of the Windshield and Rear window Moldings... and ALL of the body and door rubber...

I would guess that even 5 years ago all of that stuff from BMW/Mobile Tradition probably cost $3,500-$5,000...

There was another very nice 1974 3.0CS that just SOLD on Ebay on November 2nd for $14,600... Ebay is a great place to sell and this car brought ALL the money at $14,600 with 36 bids... Based upon ALL of the 3.0CS that are being offered that are in amazing condition that have NOT sold it is clear that $15,000-$18,000 is what these cars are worth in perfect condition...

Also when I went to look at the car there was a Classic Car dealer from a place called West Coast Classics in Santa Monica already there before me... He had first option on the car but thought it had too many issues and he PASSED and was NOT interested in the car even at the $18,000 or best offer price...

Attachments

• Oramge CS 1.jpg
    Oramge CS 1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Orange CS eng 2.jpg
    Orange CS eng 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very surprised that a car located in California in this colour escaped mention on the forum till
now. You have quite a collection of E9's now, not counting the other interesting cars.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well bought Jeff ! i would think you might want to remove those spacers for the shocks to align the bumpers to USA standards.

look forward to seeing it ... if i ever make it back to california
cheers
scott

budge96

Reaction score
Great buy ! That car was on Ebay about 18 to 24 mos back at ...wait for it seems like $30 large !

Excellent score! If I didn't already have a Euro '73 in Graphite with an M5
refreshed motor on the way,I would've called on this one ..LOVE INKA!
since my 002 days...Bert

execmalibu

Reaction score
Scott... The extended bumpers are 1973 only... To change them would be expensive...

Scott,

I dont mind the extended bumpers on the 1973 E9s... The mounting is different and to change them would be a big hassle...

I was driving the car today and never thought to try it but when I turned the AC on it blows cold!

As I wrote someone spent a ton of money on the car but then STOPPED before all of the little details were sorted out or they let someone who does NOT know Vintage BMWs work on the car...

For example the horn did NOT work and the turn signals did not cancel... As we discovered who ever installed the Nardi Steering Wheel did NOT know that the Turn Signal Switch on the 3.0CS is on the right side. The Steering Wheel was installed backwards! And there was NO Horn Contact... There are tons of loose wires and the seller said that there are electrical issues that drain the battery after it sits for a while... Also the trunk does not stay up because the idiots put the Torsion Bar mechanism on upside down!

We call it the "GREAT PUMPKIN" from the 1966 Peanuts Cartoon...

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited: