Anyone know which 5speed is in 633csi

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am looking at a 1982 633csi that is for sale. It is a 5 speed and the owner says it has a replacement 3.5l with low miles. I contacted them for more details.
Is this a good engine/ trans swap for my E9?
Other parts interchange?
Thanks
Is this a good engine swap

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At least get a pic of the bellhousing and intake side of the block
Imagine if a m30b34 low compression engine with a 260 tranny Shows up........

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips !
I am working a lot now (no days off this week) and might miss it as its 3 hours away form me.

mr bump

Reaction score
I’m sure 1979 was the last year the 6 series used a Speedo cable drive gearbox, but if your lucky, the hole for an E9 speedo cable my just be blanked off.
I used the dogleg 5 speed box, cross member, slave and master cylinders, clutch, pedal ect and the side loading LSD from a 79 635 csi for my E9, diff went straight in no problems, had to do some work for the box as I converted mine from auto to manual. It still runs the 3.09 ratio compared to the 3.68 auto ratio, I thought it would be a bit sluggish, but the 3.09 is perfect.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
260 does not 262 does not. Why do you think it is a 260? Was it just an engine swap or a complete drive train swap?/was the car a manual to begin with? On a 6 series, if the speedo is not mechanical, it will say electric just above the VDO under the odometer reset If the car is local, why not just look under it and see if there is a cable coming out of the lower right rear side of the trans

Last edited:

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
260 does not 262 does not. Why do you think it is a 260? Was it just an engine swap or a complete drive train swap?/was the car a manual to begin with? On a 6 series, if the speedo is not mechanical, it will say electric just above the VDO under the odometer reset If the car is local, why not just look under it and see if there is a cable coming out of the lower right rear side of the trans
Oops. This is an 83 from a 533i

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"The 265 Getrag was first used in the 1980 BMW 528i and continued to be used in all 5/ 6/ & 7 series BMW models up to and including 1982. In 1982 the BMW 325e had the Getrag 260 and the following year all BMW 6 cylinder models got the 260 up until 1985. These early 260 transmissions were a bit problematic. In 1985 BMW made an unusual move, they switched back to the Getrag 265 in the 5/ 6/ & 7 series. All, 1986 models got a revised 260 Getrag."

Don will correct me but (edit: 1982) was last year with mechanical speedo drive.

Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris just for kicks check out "84 633 on real oem and it will show exploded parts view of trans parts with speedo drive, if I am correct

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My quotes were from Metric Mechanic. In RealOEM if you select a 1983 build date 633CSi there is no part number, they didn’t change diagrams by year, and it’s a 260 trans. That is why the mechanical drive 265/6 is so rare now.

it does appear in a 1982 CSi though as a 265/6 with the drive.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And to prove how good the 265/6 was- it was installed in all those M3 cars from ‘87 to ‘91

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don will correct me but (edit: 1982) was last year with mechanical speedo drive.

Don and I bought a 1982 528e with the 265 a few years ago. I wasn’t expecting it to be the case but it did have an electronic speedo.

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I was searching for a Getrag 265 I found this archived post from Metric Mechanic. Perhaps this will be a useful resource...
Getrag ID Chart.gif