Anyone knowledgeable with old Mercedes diesel motors?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Specifically early 80's OM617(a) units. I'm starting at zero and learning what I can. There's an "A" at the end of this number. Does that mean it's an OM617a?

Attachments

• 20221118_130312.jpg
    20221118_130312.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 48

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
Specifically early 80's OM617(a) units. I'm starting at zero and learning what I can. There's an "A" at the end of this number. Does that mean it's an OM617a?
I think the “A” in OM617A refers to the turbo charged version of that engine.
No “A” is normally aspirated.
However, I’m not knowledgeable.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I found the number on the block. 617.952 so it's the typical turbo motor in the 80's 300D. That's a good thing since you can still find them in self-serve wrecking yards. The one around the corner from me has one and I need the upper and lower oil pans. Hopefully they're still there.

20221128_150044.jpg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had about 300,000 miles on a 1984 300SD.
I did most of my own maintenance - valve adj, injector R/R, vac line work - all sorts of fun.
The A/C controller in the console was a bear. Not the work to fix it - but the PITA it was to get the console fitting all correct after I reinstalled it. LOL
I had a shop do the timing chain and more heavy duty work - but I did nearly all the day to day stuff.

I don't have the current scope on online activities for older Mercedes cars.. I have a list I think on my home computer (I think) - I can look at that when I get home if that would help.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back in the day....I drove a 1979 300TD. Pale yellow/cream colour, sunroof, Euro headlights, I mean the GIANT ones, Centra mag wheels. Ran great. Felt like a tank. Problem was, 1 glow plug would burn out routinely, and I would have to install a spare to get back to wherever I had come from. Eventually wrote to Road & Track, (remember actually writing letters?) and they selected my inquiry in their "Technical Correspondence " section. They consulted a local-to-Newport Beach, Ca, expert who recommended a specific repair that required a specific strange tool only available at the dealer or my favourite Indy, Hans, who followed the suggested steps, replaced the glow plug insert inside the head, and problem went away. Really a great, solid, safe, amazing-looking wagon. Holdout for the wagon, Dan! ;)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys I'll check out the sources. Good to hear the stories too.

Dan

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Holdout for the wagon, Dan!
Well, I kinda did get a wagon. A G-wagon. 1979 300GD 4spd. It's actually a 280GE (gasoline) and someone swapped out the diesel at some point in it's past. Runs and drives better than expected but needs a TON of work both mechanically, electrically and mostly rust repair. Unfortunately I have several projects in front of it so it's getting parked for a while.

(images taken from a video)

left front.png

engine.png

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
Niice. If it starts, twist the oil cap on the valve cover and let it sit. If it rattles and you see lots of oil vapor blowing, then there is blowby.
Hopefully you don't see that. oversize pistons are unavailable. If you find them, please let me know. I have a clean, resleeved block that
got bored out just a skosh too big.

Fresh fuel lines including the "cigar", the 2 filters, and a tight, new primer pump are key to smooth running. Also, there's a filter
in the tank pickup that might be gunked with algae.

Besides the oil pans, the oil filter housing where it attaches to the block and the turbo return line where it attaches to the top pan are likely sources of leaking.