Are Paul Burke still making camshafts?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beware the high lift cams on flat top m90 pistons.
Evil lurks there.......
I have a few Paul Burke cams sitting in the shop.
Fair warning- his last editions were really problematic.
Problematic in what way
And where is the cut off point?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tricky to explain-
Motronic cams have a small hole drilled in the front end of the cam.
This hole indexes and maintains the position of the intermediate cam to rotor flange with a small pin.
Machining that index hole in the wrong place will give you a bad spark that can not be fixed easily because the rotor contact to distributor contact areas are mis-matched. Clear sign of bad indexing is a rotor that shows spark activity only on the very edge of the copper contact material of the rotor or cap.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the major issue is that M30 heads don't flow that well at 8000RPM. You can make it rev to 8k, but unless you are going for a racer, you'll end up with a near un-streetable motor that doesn't make power until 4500RPM then takes off at the speed my sills are rotting and needs a rebuild every few thousand miles if you intend to use it in that RPM range.

If you want high revs, why not go for an ///M motor that has the breathing capabilities to support airflow into the cylinders at that speed?

Bert-Ola

Reaction score
I think the major issue is that M30 heads don't flow that well at 8000RPM. You can make it rev to 8k, but unless you are going for a racer, you'll end up with a near un-streetable motor that doesn't make power until 4500RPM then takes off at the speed my sills are rotting and needs a rebuild every few thousand miles if you intend to use it in that RPM range.

If you want high revs, why not go for an ///M motor that has the breathing capabilities to support airflow into the cylinders at that speed?
I already have one S38 engine but I still like the different character of the M30. :)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paul has severe heart problems and barely made it through a few hospital stays. He is currently finishing an S38 engine for a friend that has been at his shop for 3 years.and that will be it for any performance parts or motors.
I have one of his cams and his 10.5:1 pistons in a 3.5 M30.
Rocker arms are the big failure point for a high revving M30 engines.
S38 rods are still too heavy.
You need to look at CP- Carillo rods or similar.