Are these desirable hubcaps for e3?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like what is on our 1968 1600. I am tempted, but what am I going to do with this many hubcaps. Anyone want to go in on it in my general area (SE Wisconsin, Chicago area, midwest)?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, I think that TYPE is exactly the right thing for an E3...but then I'm prejudice. ;)

IMG_8185.JPG

However, those in the eBay link appear to be for a 1600/2002 and at least the trim rings wouldn't fit an E3. I guess there is a chance the caps might fit since both an E3 and a 1600/2002 take a 10" cap. @Christoph would know for sure.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have these hung up on the wall of my shop. Originally - they came installed on my 2002 when I bought it in 1983. I swapped to wider steel wheels (tii 13" wheels) shortly after I bought the car and these covers been surplus since. Figured they might as well become 'wall art' as there doesn't seem to be much call for them these days.

As to E3 use... The wheels for the 2002 were for the 'narrow' 13" steel wheels that came on the car. I don't know if the wheels on the E3 are appropriate for these covers or not. The tii wheels (still 13" steel) had just the small cover over the hub (not the full cover as these are).

I can go in the shop and take pics of the backside of one of mine if you'd want (and take measurements if that would help). I don't have any wheels to try these on - sorry...

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hubcaps for E3 and some E9 models (e.g. 2.5CS) are two-part.

Center part (the cap) is stainless steel and the ring is made of thin, fragile aluminum (anodized or chromed).

There were at least two versions of rings used in E3/E9. One with flat surface (as on @Dick Steinkamp picture aboe) or pressed reinforcements (as so far on my avatar picture) but probably one official shape of the center cap. And they are for 14 inch wheels of course.

Both are delicate and frequently damaged due to lack of proper tool or improper use of the wheel nut level (with a hook riveted close to 90deg. bending).

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was starting to realize that the 2002 wheel covers might be one piece...different than the E3. Thanks for confirming that @Krzysztof.

Here are the type of E3/2.5 CS trim rings that are on my car...

IMG_8849.JPG

Here is the other style (like yours). I believe them to predate the above rings but I am not sure. In any case, both are super delicate. I'm surprised any survived. I have seen the results of one guy thinking the E3 caps and rings were one piece. He destroyed all four rings tring to remove them as one piece before he realized they were not. I'm sure others have done the same.

IMG_8848.JPG

I have found two styles of the center cap..

IMG_8850.JPG

IMG_8852 8.11.13 AM.JPG

The lower one seems to be the most common.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm still wondering how to repair that marks as almost each (even in good condition has some)

1685080354949.png

Probably the only way is to unbend/unfold the back side and with a heat gun and roller like tool with soft wheels like plastic or rubber try to straight them out trying to avoid stretching the aluminum
Maybe wooden tool on a rubber/sandbag would help first to pull the dimples out.
Does it make sense?

Probably no one else in the past was repairing them due to the fact aluminum wheels are something people would like to use instead of steel plus all of this jevelery ;)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As to @Stevehose title question "Are these desirable hubcaps for an E3?"

I'd have to say no...at least not today in North America. BaT has listed 36 E3's. 6 have the caps and trim rings (about 15%). I would say the use of caps and rings on the total population of E3s in North America is even less than that. Probably mostly due to the fact that the stock steel wheels and caps/rings were thrown away in the 1980s when lots of OE and aftermarket alloy wheels became available to personalize/update cars.

@Krzysztof ... Higher or lower percent with caps and rings in Europe on E3s?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
As to @Stevehose title question "Are these desirable hubcaps for an E3?"

I'd have to say no...at least not today in North America. BaT has listed 36 E3's. 6 have the caps and trim rings (about 15%). I would say the use of caps and rings on the total population of E3s in North America is even less than that. Probably mostly due to the fact that the stock steel wheels and caps/rings were thrown away in the 1980s when lots of OE and aftermarket alloy wheels became available to personalize/update cars.

@Krzysztof ... Higher or lower percent with caps and rings in Europe on E3s?

They were quite popular in E3 sold in EU but not only. Probably 3.0Si we typically "wearing" aluminum wheels. The hubcaps are visible in BMW brochures for E3.
E3 sold in US market were typically having higher level of equipment including engine versions so wheel's options follows that.

As far as I have noticed, E9 was available with aluminum FPS wheels (or Alpina's), except for 2.5CS where it was standard equipment together with fixed rear windows and manual front ones. Brochures from BMW confirm that.