Australian 1973 BMW 3.0 CS

Boobouna

Reaction score
Interesting the latitude dealers had back in the day. I will look up the museum. Are they selling off e9s and other cars?

They are selling all cars. All e9's are sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boobouna

Reaction score
Bo, Vinyl basketweave seats look just like this one, we are used to seeing leather so it looks a bit different. I have only seen a few pics of the thick horn pad, I would also like to know if this was dictated by the market where sold.

Yes I see a lot of American cars with leather seats, I haven't seen the leather seats in person on a car in Australia. There is currently a Malaga red e9 for sale here with black leather. For whatever reason not many paid the extra to have leather here which surprises me.
You know what i actually have never tried to push the thick pad, so I'm not even sure if it activates the horn. My horn buttons are on the silver spokes on the wheel. I will make sure to test the thick pad when I see her next.

Boobouna

Reaction score
Beautiful car! Congratulations Boobouna! (Gotta love those Aussie names. I used to work near Wooloomooloo and live near Kirribilli...)

Two questions for the experts:
First, was that ultra thick horn button very common? You rarely see those. I imagine it is a safety thing so I would have thought the US would have required those fairly early on.
Second, you say these are original seats. Did the vinyl seats have that fold over the shoulder area? That is usually a sign of a recovered seat. At least in the leather version.

From the vinyl seats I have seen in the cars here they all look like that. I've never seen leather seats here. Same with the thick horn button, all the same here that I have seen.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi, I think you underestimate your car. I also considered buying one of them. I was a bit suspect the green one had rust, when I looked around front sills. Also I found the Tunda Green shade darker than what I thought was factory Tundra. Maybe a respray that wasn't a perfect spec? Anyway I thought your Ceylon was the best one, but suddenly the Taiga CSL came up 4 sale. (it seems most e9 in Aus are auto and I only wanted a manual). My CSL is also in workshop getting the original alloy boot back on so will also be done in a few weeks. Am keen to know where you serviced yours?
Yeah I don't know much about the fog lights below the bumpers. I too would prefer the clean look of having it mounted next to the plate. The museum here in Australia is the Gosford Car Museum. Collection of approx 500 cars. He had 3 e9's, mine was the second best of the 3, there was one better in my opinion that I just missed out on. It was more expensive in Tundra Green and was even more original than mine. The body was perfect and it had full service history to back up the mileage, first owner had it for 30yrs. My Ceylon is still excellent and I'm very happy. I just dropped her off yesterday to get work done, overhauling the brake boosters and steering box, then refreshing several items, new bushes all round, spark plugs, ignition leads, cap and rotor, drag link, the list goes on. In two weeks she should be ready to go. Can't wait!!!

Last edited:

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Guys there must be enough coupe owners now in Sydney to catch up for a drive now, we should organise something.

Cheers. John

Boobouna

Reaction score
Hi, I think you underestimate your car. I also considered buying one of them. I was a bit suspect the green one had rust, when I looked around front sills. Also I found the Tunda Green shade darker than what I thought was factory Tundra. Maybe a respray that wasn't a perfect spec? Anyway I thought your Ceylon was the best one, but suddenly the Taiga CSL came up 4 sale. (it seems most e9 in Aus are auto and I only wanted a manual). My CSL is also in workshop getting the original alloy boot back on so will also be done in a few weeks. Am keen to know where you serviced yours?

Thanks Mal, I couldn't find any rust on that Tundra car, I even bought my mechanic on my second inspection to double check and he thought is was a solid car. I couldn't fault it. But I wasn't willing to pay $75k for it. Not sure what they got for it in the end but they were pushing me for $70k before it sold a day later. My car has a small rust bubble in the drivers door which hasn't broken the paint yet, and I believe the car has definitely had some paint on the front and possibly other areas. I think I got my car for a good price compared to the Tundra car. Yes incredible how many CS cars here are automatic.
I service my car at ALS Performance in Rydalmere, which works good for me as I live in Parramatta. Andrew has worked on many e9's and did my old e30 also. He is a guru and has an incredible nut and bolt e30 M3 he built, its flawless.

Boobouna

Reaction score
Guys there must be enough coupe owners now in Sydney to catch up for a drive now, we should organise something.

Cheers. John

John we have a Facebook page for Aussie owners. We will organise a get together hopefully soon. Just wait 3 weeks till my car is ready. Lol.

rodspock

Reaction score
It would suit me nicely if you Sydney guys organised a drive between 14 and 16 Dec - in town for an early Christmas.

Cheers,

Rod

Boobouna

Reaction score
It would suit me nicely if you Sydney guys organised a drive between 14 and 16 Dec - in town for an early Christmas.

Cheers,

Rod

That could be possible. I'm doing a few more things on my car before rego so it won't be ready for another 3-4 weeks. Just in time for mid December

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Rod, I notice on your profile you are based in Brissy. Are you coming down to Sydney? And is that an Inca Orange CS Alpina you've got? It must be amazing. Have you got any photos online anywhere? Are you in the BMW E9 Registry Australia Facebook group by the way. We are endeavouring to try to organise a Sydney drive some time via that group.

Last edited:

rodspock

Reaction score
I will be in Sydney for my dad's 80th birthday on 17 Dec.

I have just requested membership on the Facebook Registry using my partner's login.

There is a picture of my car on the net from our monthly Cars and Coffee here in Brisbane - go to picture 48 of the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...685701577.1073741863.552696576&type=3&theater

My car was on display at Brisbane BMW for the 100th anniversary of BMW - here is the blurb I prepared for the display:

This 3.0 CS was produced on 22 November 1972. This E9 was delivered to UK Concessionaires in London.
The car originally was an automatic (known as a CSA) and ordered in inka orange with a marine blue velour interior - this is an unusual combination as most inka orange cars had a black or beige interior.
From new the 3.0 CS had a 180 hp 3.0 litre straight six cylinder engine, four wheel ventilated disc brakes with 4-spot front callipers and independent rear suspension.
New in the UK this car would have cost £5,299 (the average house price in the UK in 1972 was £7,000), while new in Australia this car would have cost in the vicinity of $18,500.
This car was imported to Australia in 1979 and first registered in NSW. It was purchased by the current owner in 1988 - during this ownership the car was restored in 1993.
Mechanically the engine now has a 3.3 litre crank, oversize 10.5:1 custom made pistons, triple webbers, extractors, fast road camshaft, is balanced, blueprinted and port matched etc. The car has had a 5-speed manual conversion, sports a limited slip differential, lower springs and Bilsein shock absorbers. All upgrades are faithful to the Alpina B2 period modifications.
With 194 Alpina B2s made across the E3, E9 and E12 model range this car carries some rare parts, such as the Alpina wheels and intake plenum. It also has a CSL front spoiler and CSL aluminium bonnet.
The car is a pleasure to drive and quite modern in performance - it must have been a revelation to drive in 1972.
Cheers,

Rod

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a great looking car Rob. You are very fortunate to have some of those Alpina parts. I actually saw your engine bay from an earlier post of yours. I wish I had an Alpina intake - it makes the engine bay look amazing. Hope you have a great drive down to Sydney. Unfortunately I will be abroad working on those days in Dec, so I wont be able to join. It's a shame as I would have liked to have photographed your Inca Orange and my Taiga Green side by side.

rodspock

Reaction score
I'm not planning on driving the orange car to Sydney in December - the kids would not endure the 10-12 hour drive. We will be flying and hiring a car.

The Alpina airbox was sourced from another E9CopueForum member in France - very good to deal with. The airbox makes the triple Webbers run smoothly (with individual screens the Webbers used to pop and carry on when cold). There is a guy in Western Australia who has one also.

I have also asked to be a member of the Facebook group - awaiting a reply.

Enjoy,

Rod

Boobouna

Reaction score
Finally got it out on the road this weekend. Will try and take more photos in the coming weeks.

Boobouna

Reaction score
96d93f3aa60d78b8cb5e1fb89b5eba59.jpg
56e3a6299053c340235ca192e8e2813c.jpg
759d19b63f1cf04520e595f07558ef13.jpg
f0682427d33377479eb3da1b5ab194a2.jpg
e442590e9ced54ddafe39aecf2ce77af.jpg
6c8e88341f10ea3c4df898b7baba632c.jpg

scottd

Reaction score
Your car looks great. Thanks for posting photos.

A few q's for the experts. Which cars came with blacked out kidney grille? And which cars had silver hood and side grilles? My car has black on side and hood, with silver centers on kidney, and is '73 US CSA.

THANKS,

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All US coupes came with silver kidneys until it changed to the four slat black plastic grilles in the 74MY. Five slat black kidneys were on CSLs and euro CSis. Hood/side grilles could be either.

Boobouna

Reaction score
All US coupes came with silver kidneys until it changed to the four slat black plastic grilles in the 74MY. Five slat black kidneys were on CSLs and euro CSis. Hood/side grilles could be either.

Yes it was picked up yesterday that my kidney grille was most likely changed at some point.
e95517af4cae2fcaba1ea89fd10e7298.jpg

And don't laugh at the cable ties holding the licence plate lol, I don't want to drill holes in the bumper

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stunning car! Congratulations.

Had to laugh at the license plate when I first saw it in the first few photos. It was a bit hard to read and it looked like it said "New Historic Vehicle"... Fairly appropriate I'd say.