automatic transmission issue

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
My bmw e9 auto transmission shifts very well when driving, but when shifted from park to drive or park to reverse it shifts hard and wants to move the car . Is there an adjustment to prevent this/
This is the 3 speed auto transmission..Fluid and filter are new..
thanks for your help..

Boobouna

Reaction score
My bmw e9 auto transmission shifts very well when driving, but when shifted from park to drive or park to reverse it shifts hard and wants to move the car . Is there an adjustment to prevent this/
thanks for your help..

Mine does the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry to borrow a piece of your thread..(my auto does the same jerk, by the way), any of you automatic guys have an extra spring/gasket/seal that fits in the trans case to seal the speedo cable?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall that being more of a problem when the idle was too high...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dave, check RealOEM for oring size, order online but not from BMW, they sell a newer one that doesn’t fit, it’s too big.

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
i will try lower the middle to see if this makes a difference...it is already pretty low..the jerking is especially strong just after starting the car from cold..
bad design i suppose.. my mercedes 300sel with a 3 speed trans did not do that..

lloyd

Reaction score
thanks for your help..

It might be helpful to know your transmission's maker so that you might consult the appropriate troubleshooting chart - and to ensure that you are using the appropriate transmission lubricant. (Per a recent thread, https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threa...-oil-for-automatic-gearbox.31361/#post-255784 BorgWarner 65 automatic transmission, would use "Type F," while a ZF 3HP20 type would use Dextron or Type A.) That said, I drove several ZF auto equipped '70s BMWs and never experienced the problem you describe. However, I also drove an E3 with a BorgWarner 65 automatic that experienced hard gear engagement, but the problem was corrected.

Numerous things can account for harsh/abrupt shifting into gear. As Arde noted, "ALL" auto-equipped vehicles will shift harshly if the idle speed is too high and (anecdotally) the problem may occur if the accelerator cable is too taught (maladjusted). Then, depending upon the transmission design, there are bands that need proper adjustment and servos, a control unit and valve body that all must properly function to allow for the transmission to operate as designed (without rough gear engagement).

My BorgWarner auto-equipped E3 shifted smoothly, but suffered from significant leaks. A friend familiar with the transmission, as it used by Jag, Rover and MB, owed me a favor and offered to rebuild it. When the trans was reinstalled, the driveway was dry and the shifting was noticeably crisper. Unfortunately engaging forward and reverse gears was extremely harsh and occasionally accompanied by a pronounced "bang." My first inclination was to assume either a broken mount or a broken drive line coupling, but this was not the case. From what I recall, the fix involved pulling the pan and valve body, and cleaning the control unit but I can't be more specific since it was my friend that performed most of the work. The problem may have been something as simple as dirt/debris since despite being "rebuilt" the trans pan and filter were full of metal particulates and had to be re-re-cleaned. The problem may have been due to a combination of things, including one or more binding valve springs, but this is speculation.

Did your transmission engage forward and reverse gears smoothly before your recent fluid and filter service? Did you recently adjust anything else respecting the valve body or the accelerator kick down cable?

ee7fdeef52d541a125910eb90a17bba8.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

https://www.automaticchoice.com/uploads/producten/pdfs/Catalogue/bw65.pdf

http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/...r-65-66-Transmission-ATSG-Rebuild-Manual.html

https://www.scribd.com/document/212425631/Borg-Warner-65-66

Gratuitous images that have nothing to do with harsh auto transmission gear changes:

2285001%2003%20d.jpg

E9-A9REE6B.jpg

bmw_3.0_csl_253_057507a714da0f8d.jpg

bmw_3.0_csl_28_0968049c18651298.jpg

bmw_3.0_csl_91_065502e21b501452.jpg

bmw_3.0_csl_72_00d6005b0add0809.jpg

bmw_3.0_csl_11.jpg

bmw_3.0_csl_017900000321025c.jpg

bmw_3.0_csl_80_042d03d504d103a6.jpg

Last edited:

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks for the infos and the beautiful pictures.. my car is going to the shop tomorrow and will mentioned all this to my mechanic..

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chances your mechanic admitting I was right are a million to one they say, but still I am right...

The rent and your idle are too damn high.

... my car is going to the shop tomorrow and will mentioned all this to my mechanic..

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Arde
I worked on the car today and followed your advice. The middle was lowered as much as possible to prevent the engine from stoping.. This was done with the engine totally warm..Unfortunately, it did not make any difference...
I am going to ask my mechanic to take a look at the control unit. I have the factory work shop manual and a new transmission service kit..
thanks for reaching out..

scottd

Reaction score
Hi Herve,

I stumbled on this thread. Hope you and Frances are well. The car always "jumped" when going into gear; however once it warmed up, it was much better. Send me some pictures, and stay safe!

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott
Frances is fine.. the trans is fine.. shifts very well when driven.. when it is cold i have to be gentle when shifting forward(better warming it for a few seconds to bring the automatic choke down..)..It's a keeper. I rebuilt an original set of carbs..one of these days i will install it..but it is running so well i am not sure i will ever do it..

Attachments

• IMG_5863.jpg
    IMG_5863.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 105

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
comforting..i love driving that car..the auto is a pleasure to drive in daily traffic probably not as sporty as the 4 or 5 speed but very easy to drive.. better than a mercedes 280sl that i drove for a while..

scottd

Reaction score
Nerve- so glad you are enjoying her, and happy to see a picture. Stay well.

Scott