Back to Zeniths

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So spent some time on Saturday with my mechanic looking over the existing Weber setup, the rebuilt Zeniths, and a box of parts that came with my car when I purchased it. Two issues: missing parts #2 and #17 (if anyone has them, I'm interested) and part #7, lever-shaft assembly is slightly different in the diagram compared to what I have. Also, if anyone has a photo of what the factory setup should look like (with air cleaner housing removed)
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.35.50 AM (2).png
IMG_3073.JPG
, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have my removed Zenith carbs in a box in my basement. Have been wondering what to do with them. I can take a look for the parts you note above and let you know if they are 1) there, and 2) in decent shape.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I get it! Luckily I have a Porsche restoration shop near me that routinely sends out batches for plating; I can sneak parts in...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I checked my Zenith box. I do not have parts #2 or #17 either. And the #7 shaft I have is different as well. Mine has no kinks in it - dead straight. Sorry.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I checked my Zenith box. I do not have parts #2 or #17 either. And the #7 shaft I have is different as well. Mine has no kinks in it - dead straight. Sorry.

I think the straight or kinked versions are for different engine sizes.

I have a few of them, but located in Europe. let me have a look what I have (and need myself)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US coupes have a vacuum dashpot to slow the closing of the throttle rod to reduce emissions, that is the flat arm across from the ball. I have seen both types but that is the only difference, either will work.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Spoke w/ Carl at La Jolla yesterday; he had the two brackets as well as the nylon cups...

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wanted to reiterate my request for some reference images; looking for pics of an original Zenith setup (w/ air box removed, if possible) to guide my project. Thanks!

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update; was able to remove the Webers without incident (they'll be for sale on this site soon). Drained the coolant and now ready to remove the intake manifolds (they'll be sent to a friend with a vapor blaster). Will also start a general cleaning/detailing now that everything is exposed. I've started an inventory so that coolant hoses, vacuum lines, and clamps can be replaced, and I'm wondering about the starter, since it will be accessible once the rear manifold is removed. Is there a rebuild source?

Also, I have an assortment of linkage parts that will need to be tumbled and refinished. I believe part #3 and the spring in the attached photo are still available from BMW, but I'm having a hard time finding the part numbers on realm.com? Parts #1, #2, and the retaining clip are NLA, but I think I can disassemble and refinish. Any shot of finding the grey plastic end of part #2?

Will update as I make progress.

Thanks everyone for all your assistance!