Back to Zeniths

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you have not already done so, change to the smaller and much more efficient fixed magnet starter. Search SR441x. No better time than when the intake manifolds are off.

And just for good measure, I would replace the main power cable from the battery to the starter too. Sooo much better starting.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SR71x, SR440x, SR441x, they all work, be sure they have the small case and permanent magnet. And don’t hook up the always live wire at 12:00 from starter to ballast resistor was on the 440/441.

Last edited:

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are those images...
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right -- so Chris has the starter covered. As to the wire, I used the original BMW part. They were available last fall and relatively inexpensive.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't have Zeniths, but all four of the items on the right side of your picture are part of the bellcrank assembly. One nylon sleeve goes on the post sticking out from the engine with the flange toward the engine, the spring goes over that (with one end in the hole in the plate and the other on the side of the bellcrank, and other sleeve slides into the spring with the flange at the top. The bellcrank goes no next, and that black square clip fits into a groove on the post, holding the bellcrank in place.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The battery cable to starter has small terminals on the battery end to power the condenser fan, relays and others. Think I used e21 or e24, it was a tiny bit longer but it.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! BMW part #s for the plastic bushings and spring? And the battery cable too? The linkage rods will have to be disassembled and refinished.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, and everyone! I think Carl told me the spring was available, or maybe he had one... Here's a progress image from this AM with manifolds removed. So my to do list includes:

1. Order coolant hoses and clamps
2. Decide whether to replace starter and/or battery cable
3. Replace sensor at rear of block coming from starter?
4. Replace sensor under front manifold?
5. Read up on cabin coolant bypass and determine whether it was done correctly by my first vintage BMW mechanic (now retired) when I first bought the car back in 2005, and decide whether to do this again?
6. Deal with slight seepage coming from base of dip stick tube
7. Vapor blast manifolds and refinish yellow cad linkage components
8. Check/replace vacuum and fuel lines

Going to be a busy Spring/Summer...

Also, there's always the slippery slope of "when do I stop" before this starts to reimagine itself as a "restoration"!
IMG_3213.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dude -- replace the starter. It is a nightmare with the manifolds in place, and simple without.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know, not much to think about, other than which one to use.

Here's the yellow cad inventory:
IMG_3222.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This! And if you don't, Murphy's Law states your old starter will fail right after everything is back together.

Dude -- replace the starter. It is a nightmare with the manifolds in place, and simple without.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought the spring from Carl a few years ago.

Thanks Steve, and everyone! I think Carl told me the spring was available, or maybe he had one... Here's a progress image from this AM with manifolds removed. So my to