Baikal CSi for sale

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't find it on their site. I was after some sort of description for the car.

Is it common to spray the underside, inner wings etc the same colour or is it just the easy option because it was just a shell?

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gorgeous car.

Even at $118k, I still don't know how these guys make any money restoring E9s unless they're really cutting corners somewhere.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder if they're painting straight onto the undercoating or is the undercoat new and "tinted" baikal.

I know you can color-match truck bedliner, but bedliner usually don't look THIS THICK.

ACtC-3eH5wj-1-FXswifzTVHaO2hKPspaENB1tpbxypPwq6_4o4iRXoGOYw5lQ8Aj_QpqRyyPHAesvVWOg-N8IhksF4SE1UfZ-nQMemfU9x3NdmbvIYya1lJc-lCS3YzA4kw3WsQUuThuGUNg5_0dipBs-X8TQ=w1251-h831-no

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if they're painting straight onto the undercoating or is the undercoat new and "tinted" baikal.

I know you can color-match truck bedliner, but bedliner usually don't look THIS THICK.

That was my concern also. More of a concern was this was just an indication of laziness and time/cost savings.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It wouldn't make sense to put all that work and to not remove the factory undercoating. I'm sure they lay it on thick so it can avoid rock chips, but with bedliner, you can lay it on thin and it will protect from rock chips like no other.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
It wouldn't make sense to put all that work and to not remove the factory undercoating. I'm sure they lay it on thick so it can avoid rock chips, but with bedliner, you can lay it on thin and it will protect from rock chips like no other.
albeit a poor photo, this is how the undercoating was done, after the bare metal restoration on my CS. Mind you, I don’t think it’s seen much rain or gravel since.

Attachments

• 709714F0-D64B-498D-97F7-5A32B4101278.jpeg
    709714F0-D64B-498D-97F7-5A32B4101278.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 45EDE691-E2A8-4BAE-A031-9D02B04388A3.jpeg
    45EDE691-E2A8-4BAE-A031-9D02B04388A3.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 163

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
It looks like they have put the old fuel lines back on and all the fixings are exposed/rusting.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That was my concern also. More of a concern was this was just an indication of laziness and time/cost savings.

I’m not a body guy but I do know you can paint over undercoating. It’s no different than painting over seam sealer. You can also add flex agent to the paint as they do with modern cars. You can depress the plastic bumper on any modern car with your finger or a bad parallel parking job. The paint is fine if mixed correctly, and never flakes.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not a body guy but I do know you can paint over undercoating. It’s no different than painting over seam sealer. You can also add flex agent to the paint as they do with modern cars. You can depress the plastic bumper on any modern car with your finger or a bad parallel parking job. The paint is fine if mixed correctly, and never flakes.

Thank you. my concern was why they did it if the car was completely stripped and effort, I thought they would go for originality. Like I say maybe a cost thing.

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
My guess would be that much of the body and paint work is done in Eastern Europe, using Soviet-trained aerospace engineers.

you folks are a really tough audience. I think you could find a barnacle on a boat before it reached the water. :) That said, there is amazing knowledge in this forum.

Last edited: