Baikal CSi for sale

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
you folks are a really tough audience. I think yo could find a barnacle on a boat before it reached the water. :) That said, there is amazing knowledge in this forum.
I have found some members, just looking at a bolt or wire, can place it...Glad being a member with the knowledge and resources they have. I hope one day to contribute as they do. But, I get your point. ;)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
haha, got mail from them " Very rare 'Ultra-Lightweight' Carburated 3.0 CSL in Inka Orange. " .... that will be ready in 3 weeks.
So now the "friends" can buy it even before finish.... or do they want to sell it that fast ? o_O

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, even at iron block pricing, the restoration process is time consuming and expensive so if they're making 10% they are doing "ok". That's assuming they've been buying up parts cars and don't have to source lots of items from suppliers. There are lots of cars that are infinitely easier to restore that could bring better margins so they must love the cars to some degree. Just look at all the mid-80s beater trucks and broncos with LS3's or Coyote motors that are 80-120k on BaT. Makes me shake my head. Those trucks drive like SH*T!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i agree tferrer with those trucks... but how do they restore "as new" a coupe every week with parts cars ?
I had parts cars and mostly the worn item you need is... worn on that car also.

arnie

Reaction score
Even at $118k, I still don't know how these guys make any money restoring E9s unless they're really cutting corners somewhere.

So take your time and a deaper look what you see on their pictures. You won't find just a single E9, where they documented a high end (or even bare metal) restoration.

All "nice" cars, no doubt about it, but far away from perfect, if you ask me. Most probably real good survivors I suppose (probably coming from Italy or other non salted European regions. Every advertised example get's the same package with fresh upholstery, paint job, cheap Alpina 16 inch replicas, shooted in a nice surrounding from a rather good photographer. Imho in best case you can jugde these cars in condition 2, but more at the low end.

This specific example has also so many flaws and details, what I wouldn't except for that price level.

The undercarriage wasn't for sure not stripped down. What you can see here is a bunch of layers sitting on the one, that came from the factory back in the days. Then off course freshly painted. Nothing, what's really bad, if there's no rust sitting under it, but I suspect, that there's nothing ...

What really sucks and hurds in my eyes is the engine bay with some obvious use of bondo onto the connection parts between the inner wheel house and fender. Engine just cleaned and touched up with some bling bling fresh parts (new or regalvanized). Once again: nothing criminal or totally uncommon, but far away from what this car tries to represent. But a good example of their process to find a rather good benefit in cosmetics ... :oops:

So, yeah not a bad example for an E9, but for 100 K € ??? Never ever !

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What really sucks and hurds in my eyes is the engine bay with some obvious use of bondo onto the connection parts between the inner wheel house and fender. Engine just cleaned and touched up with some bling bling fresh parts (new or regalvanized). Once again: nothing criminal or totally uncommon, but far away from what this car tries to represent. But a good example of their process to find a rather good benefit in cosmetics ... :oops:

So, yeah not a bad example for an E9, but for 100 K € ??? Never ever !

Not sure if that's bondo, but maybe just paint over the insulation:

ACtC-3eqvVg_LBOU8iB9D_AERlGnfP_KkftuNgmYcNyE-XI4ayoEE7ZksPabLDk7V5o03_KK1iBJQEzuP_qjErREIrNbXUu2BgLkVbkDvQ7hXPTC0ZZKibO636TI8ejBWMLjvguDreCfEpqtLm_LPlUi8jdIuQ=w1244-h828-no

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, no sending unit on brake reservoir, fuel hose used for expansion tank hose to radiator, wrong hood seal on radiator wall, brown cable ground strap on battery as well as their propensity to paint the underside body color.

Rek

Reaction score
I wonder if they're painting straight onto the undercoating or is the undercoat new and "tinted" baikal.

I know you can color-match truck bedliner, but bedliner usually don't look THIS THICK.

IMG_1603.jpg
IMG_1603.jpg
ACtC-3eH5wj-1-FXswifzTVHaO2hKPspaENB1tpbxypPwq6_4o4iRXoGOYw5lQ8Aj_QpqRyyPHAesvVWOg-N8IhksF4SE1UfZ-nQMemfU9x3NdmbvIYya1lJc-lCS3YzA4kw3WsQUuThuGUNg5_0dipBs-X8TQ=w1251-h831-no
My guy used a substance similar to CT1 (maybe UK product only) but mixed it with paint. To save on paint he used some Alpina paint we'd bought which was slightly the wrong shade, and it was applied by spray. It's very tough but slightly flexible and stay on the car. The image shows the similarity.

Bare metal, primer, then this stuff. IMG_1603.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The old stuff is usually so trashed that cleaning it to receive paint, would cause most to be removed. need a thick coat to hide all the irregularity from this. I vote removed original and redone.